• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Krth 101 personality changes - weekends purged?

Even if I was doing weekends at KRTH for a year, 5 years, 10 years or whatever and let go, I'm sure I'd land solidly on my feet somewhere. There was a time that having a station like KRTH on a resume would help make that resume solid.

Dave Randall (who did 20 years in weekends at KRTH) already has his new gig....up the coast at KBBY Oxnard/Ventura.

As for Don MacKinnon, if it hadn't been for that tragic accident, Don would surely be remembered in the same breath as Morgan and Steele today. An innovative, gotta-listen talent, he was exactly what KFWB needed to survive and possibly even compete against a KRLA that had been eating its lunch the past two years and the new KHJ that debuted shortly after MacKinnon's arrival. No offense to Joe Yocam, but I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. KFWB just did it for all the wrong reasons...and rightly paid the price in having to bring Joe back and pay him damages.

Michael, KFWB obviously didn't want listeners to know about the strike in 1961. On the Fabulous Forty survey folder for July 23-29, all of the DJ photos are gone and the back page asks "Who kidnapped the KFWB disc jockeys?" On the two surveys for the weeks ending September 2 and September 9---the Highwaymen's Michael was number one, by the way---there is a big picture of B. Mitchel Reed captioned "He's back...and we've got him!" On the September 10-16 survey is a big picture of Gene Weed with the same caption. When did Joe Yocam return to KFWB? Was it early 1963? He isn't pictured on any of the 1962 surveys that I have. But if station management could welcome back BMR and Gene Weed with open arms soon after the strike was settled---I can hear Groucho asking, "How late do you stay open?"---then why was Yocam not similarly welcomed back? I'm thinking that his age was a bigger factor than his participation in the strike.

Michael, KFWB obviously didn't want listeners to know about the strike in 1961. On the Fabulous Forty survey folder for July 23-29, all of the DJ photos are gone and the back page asks "Who kidnapped the KFWB disc jockeys?" On the two surveys for the weeks ending September 2 and September 9---the Highwaymen's Michael was number one, by the way---there is a big picture of B. Mitchel Reed captioned "He's back...and we've got him!" On the September 10-16 survey is a big picture of Gene Weed with the same caption. When did Joe Yocam return to KFWB? Was it early 1963? He isn't pictured on any of the 1962 surveys that I have. But if station management could welcome back BMR and Gene Weed with open arms soon after the strike was settled---I can hear Groucho asking, "How late do you stay open?"---then why was Yocam not similarly welcomed back? I'm thinking that his age was a bigger factor than his participation in the strike.

ReelRadio has an aircheck of Joe in middays at KFWB from March of 1962. I don't think he was out any longer than the other guys.

In 1965, KFWB would have gotten in a lot less trouble for age discrimination than they did for retaliation against a union.

The last 1962 KFWB Fabulous Forty that I have is for the second week of February. Some guy named Gary Owens was on from 6 to 9. He isn't even pictured---there's just a drawing of a pair of glasses atop a mustache, a smile and a goatee. Maybe he was camera-shy. I wonder whatever became of him. Anyway, Ted Randal did nine to noon, then Art Nelson noon to 3, followed by Gene Weed, B. Mitchel Reed and Bobby Dale. Roger Christian was on from midnight to 6 am and Bill Ballance did 6 pm to midnight on Saturdays. When was Yocam on in 1962? Was he just a part-timer then? Neither he nor Ballance received a "He's back" message and photo on the survey folders---just Reed and Weed. I'd love to know the reason.

The last 1962 KFWB Fabulous Forty that I have is for the second week of February. Some guy named Gary Owens was on from 6 to 9. He isn't even pictured---there's just a drawing of a pair of glasses atop a mustache, a smile and a goatee. Maybe he was camera-shy. I wonder whatever became of him. Anyway, Ted Randal did nine to noon, then Art Nelson noon to 3, followed by Gene Weed, B. Mitchel Reed and Bobby Dale. Roger Christian was on from midnight to 6 am and Bill Ballance did 6 pm to midnight on Saturdays. When was Yocam on in 1962? Was he just a part-timer then? Neither he nor Ballance received a "He's back" message and photo on the survey folders---just Reed and Weed. I'd love to know the reason.

Chuck Blore, Elliott Field and Garish are the only survivors. Maybe you could ask them.

Oldiesloon shows Yocam in Noon-3 from August '62 until he was let go in '65.

Last edited:
Now that KRTH can truly be considered an 80s station, the reasons behind the weekend turnover seem to be a bit more clear. Perhaps it had more to do with the overall sound of the station the new pd wanted and not so much a function of economics. Maybe the thinking was that Dave, Sylvia and Bruce were just too closely associated with the previous format. Much the same reasoning CVD has essentially been replaced. And now with the apparent *shifting of Charlie tuna out of prime time on Sunday's, you have to wonder how much longer he's destined to remain. One can only speculate as to the futures of Jim Carson and the shotgun.

When KFRC changed from top 40 to adult standards magic 61 in the summer of 86, there was an attempt to retain some of their on air talent. They soon discovered as good as dr. Don rose, Turi Ryder and the like were, they weren't a good fit playing standards and were dismissed shortly. If I recall, ocean bailed before the change. Dave sholin knew he had to break with the past or the inevitable comparisons and nostalgia would never cease. I'm wondering if the same is happening here.

By the way, were the 2 Sunday morning Beatles programs cancelled as well to make room for tunas new shift or moved?

Now that KRTH can truly be considered an 80s station, the reasons behind the weekend turnover seem to be a bit more clear. Perhaps it had more to do with the overall sound of the station the new pd wanted and not so much a function of economics. Maybe the thinking was that Dave, Sylvia and Bruce were just too closely associated with the previous format. Much the same reasoning CVD has essentially been replaced. And now with the apparent *shifting of Charlie tuna out of prime time on Sunday's, you have to wonder how much longer he's destined to remain. One can only speculate as to the futures of Jim Carson and the shotgun.

When KFRC changed from top 40 to adult standards magic 61 in the summer of 86, there was an attempt to retain some of their on air talent. They soon discovered as good as dr. Don rose, Turi Ryder and the like were, they weren't a good fit playing standards and were dismissed shortly. If I recall, ocean bailed before the change. Dave sholin knew he had to break with the past or the inevitable comparisons and nostalgia would never cease. I'm wondering if the same is happening here.

By the way, were the 2 Sunday morning Beatles programs cancelled as well to make room for tunas new shift or moved?

Apart from your own musings, there's nothing to confirm that fit was why the weekenders were released. However, if you look at the economics, there's a clear upside for KRTH.

As for KFRC, there was no attempt to retain Dr. Don Rose. He had a no-cut contract and KFRC would have had to pay him the remainder of his term (5 months) to say goodbye. It would have been six figures at a time when KFRC's billings were at a 20-year low. So they decided to play him for a while. Once they got it down to two months, they paid DDR off.

And now with the apparent *shifting of Charlie tuna out of prime time on Sunday's, you have to wonder how much longer he's destined to remain. One can only speculate as to the futures of Jim Carson and the shotgun.

From what I've observed, looking at CBS-owned classic hits stations around the country, they really haven't gone out of their way to eliminate any of their legendary talent. On the contrary, they seem to be a place a legend like Scott Shannon can go after they've been released by another owner. The fact that they stuck with Shotgun through his heart surgery says a lot.

I believe the Beatles shows are still on Sunday Mornings. I did not listen this morning., so I don't know. If they do cancel it. I'm sure the Sound would love to take it off K-EARTH'S Hands, as it would fit right into their format.
Rewind with Gary Bryan is still on Sunday Nights as of this posting.

Last edited:

That's just speculation. Though I realize that stations sometimes let "legendary" (read 'older') talent go when they tweak the format, it has never made sense to me. Obviously, you can't see their aging faces, and the average listener probably couldn't tell you any DJ names, much less what AM Top 40 station they worked at back in the day.

Dr. Don on Magic 61 is a different story. His frentic and loud style could have been considered a real turn-off to listeners in their 40s and 50s who were used to hearing Jim Lange and Carter B. Smith.

But Dave Randall talking for 10 seconds or less between 80s hits? I don't see the problem.

That's just speculation. Though I realize that stations sometimes let "legendary" (read 'older') talent go when they tweak the format, it has never made sense to me. Obviously, you can't see their aging faces, and the average listener probably couldn't tell you any DJ names, much less what AM Top 40 station they worked at back in the day.

Dr. Don on Magic 61 is a different story. His frentic and loud style could have been considered a real turn-off to listeners in their 40s and 50s who were used to hearing Jim Lange and Carter B. Smith.

But Dave Randall talking for 10 seconds or less between 80s hits? I don't see the problem.

Dr. Don eliminated the shtick for his three months on Magic 61 and focused on his natural warmth.

The last DJ on KFRC before the switch to "Magic 61" was Jack Silver, who later programmed KLSX, KABC and KLOS. The last song he played was Lights by Journey. The first 90 minutes of the new Magic 61 with Dr. Don Rose can be heard at http://airchexx.com/2011/08/12/dr-don-rose-kfrc-magic-61-first-hour-august-11-1986/#

Michael, did you ever hear the parody that Neil Ross put together in the 1980s? He did an amazing impersonation of what it would have sounded like if The Real Don Steele had worked at KMPC. Actual KMPC newscasts and traffic reports were included to add an air of realism as "Steele" kept up his usual frenetic style while playing MOR hits and reading commercials for Farmer John braunschweiger.

The last DJ on KFRC before the switch to "Magic 61" was Jack Silver, who later programmed KLSX, KABC and KLOS. The last song he played was Lights by Journey. The first 90 minutes of the new Magic 61 with Dr. Don Rose can be heard at http://airchexx.com/2011/08/12/dr-don-rose-kfrc-magic-61-first-hour-august-11-1986/#

Michael, did you ever hear the parody that Neil Ross put together in the 1980s? He did an amazing impersonation of what it would have sounded like if The Real Don Steele had worked at KMPC. Actual KMPC newscasts and traffic reports were included to add an air of realism as "Steele" kept up his usual frenetic style while playing MOR hits and reading commercials for Farmer John braunschweiger.

Steve: I have never heard it and have always wanted to! Has anyone posted it anywhere?

Bill Earl, the official KRLA historian and the author of When Radio Was Boss and the KRLA history Dream-House, is a longtime friend. One day he came over and handed me a cassette tape. He asked, "Did you know that The Real Don Steele" worked at KMPC?" "You're kidding!" "No, he filled in for one week. Here is an aircheck." I immediately popped the cassette into the player and started listening. I heard just a few seconds before I realized it was an impersonation.....but it was a very good one! "Bobby Hebbbb" and "braunschweiger." It's my second favorite tape, right behind (no pun intended) Gary Owens' infamous "Season's greetings from Preparation H."

Bill Earl, the official KRLA historian and the author of When Radio Was Boss and the KRLA history Dream-House, is a longtime friend. One day he came over and handed me a cassette tape. He asked, "Did you know that The Real Don Steele" worked at KMPC?" "You're kidding!" "No, he filled in for one week. Here is an aircheck." I immediately popped the cassette into the player and started listening. I heard just a few seconds before I realized it was an impersonation.....but it was a very good one! "Bobby Hebbbb" and "braunschweiger." It's my second favorite tape, right behind (no pun intended) Gary Owens' infamous "Season's greetings from Preparation H."

I'd love to hear that. Sounds hyserical

Oh, it is, baby! It is! I couldn't find the parody online and I have no way to transfer my cassette onto a CD and then onto a computer. If we ask Michael politely, Michael might be able to ask his friend politely and the friend could post it to YouTube.

My friend is one degree of separation from the creator of the piece, Neil Ross. It's not in wide circulation, so all I can do is ask my friend to suggest to Neil that it might be fun to have it in circulation, and see what he does.

Neil Ross, who occasionally used the name "Natural Neil," worked at several stations in Salt Lake City, Honolulu, San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles. From 1982 to 1985, he did middays at KMPC. The morning man was some guy named Morgan. I assumed that Ross made the Steele parody while at KMPC but Bill Earl thinks it was recorded at a San Diego station, which would date it from the late '60s.

Neil Ross, who occasionally used the name "Natural Neil," worked at several stations in Salt Lake City, Honolulu, San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles. From 1982 to 1985, he did middays at KMPC. The morning man was some guy named Morgan. I assumed that Ross made the Steele parody while at KMPC but Bill Earl thinks it was recorded at a San Diego station, which would date it from the late '60s.

Which would be wildly, insanely wrong since it includes a clip from Big John McIlhenny, who didn't join KMPC until 1973, Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again", Ronnie Milsap's "It Was Almost Like A Song" (both from 1977), a KMPC jingle that wasn't in use until '77, KMPC's post-1979 traffic sounder, references to "KMPC Hitparade" and "The Spirit of 710" chopper which didn't happen until 1983.

It was Neil, in a brilliant Steele impression, cut during his time at KMPC, when Morgan was there and Drake was consulting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom