• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K291ce

Its seems the xlator is claiming to be a repeater of KLOL...(which is CBS owned now).....

Like KLOL needs a fill in signal in Rosenberg!!! :confused:

They amended the app where they're trying to move to Senior Road to say that Hispanic Community Christian Network has a TBA signed with CBS to air programming on KLOL HD3 to air on K291CE as well as K284BX Hitchcock. https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101651333&qnum=5110&copynum=1&exhcnum=3

The FCC has dismissed this app: http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=53243

Meanwhile, if you look at the app where they corrected the coordinates on the current transmitter site, they say it is rebroadcasting KQVI Cedar Lake as received over the air. I heard a KQVI Cedar Lake ID on 106.1 last night.

Like how are they receiving KQVI "over the air?" Yes, they are now IDing as KQVI, but they also still say KBreeze 106.1 Rosenberg and running ads. They are still filing as a noncommercial educational without paying the FCC any fees. I'm not a communications lawyer, so I may be clueless. Somebody please explain how this is legit?

Oh, and by the way, the phone number (shown on FCC filings) for the engineer submitting these applications gives the standard unavailable recording the phone company puts on when your account is delinquent but service not yet terminated. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38Q6D-a_Clubjk0TjkycWVELU0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Like how are they receiving KQVI "over the air?" Yes, they are now IDing as KQVI, but they also still say KBreeze 106.1 Rosenberg and running ads. They are still filing as a noncommercial educational without paying the FCC any fees. I'm not a communications lawyer, so I may be clueless. Somebody please explain how this is legit?

Oh, and by the way, the phone number (shown on FCC filings) for the engineer submitting these applications gives the standard unavailable recording the phone company puts on when your account is delinquent but service not yet terminated. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38Q6D-a_Clubjk0TjkycWVELU0/edit?usp=sharing

1. There is an application with the FCC to sell the translator to the people providing K-Breeze programming. Until that application is approved, the translator is still licensed to the church that is an affiliate of HCCN.
2. RAFTT has a LMA with the church to provide programming on the translator. It is up to the licensee (the church) to ensure that what they allow on their translator (and for that matter, KQVI) complies with FCC rules.
3. The licensee (the church) remains in full control of their station(s) even if there is a LMA in place. They are responsible for engineering, they are responsible for content and everything else. When there is a LMA with purchase, think of it this way: the licensee retains the right to turn off the transmitter at any time. If the sale doesn't go through, the LMA is over and programming reverts back to the licensee.

As for the difference between underwriting and advertising, see this: http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/noncommercial-nature-educational-broadcasting

In a nutshell, if it runs on a non-comm, you can't have a call to action, you can't give out prices or quantify savings or quote interest rates, and you can't say anything that induces someone to buy, sell, or lease something.

Example: "Joe's Chevrolet, 124 Main Street, Poundridge. joechevy.com" is allowed.
"Joe's Chevrolet, now with 0% financing and cars starting at $5995. Come by 124 Main Street today and save big!" is not.

John, thanks for the information. Apparently someone at their end is finally understanding that they can't put advertising on a noncommercial licensed station. Just a month ago they were airing one ad after another for insurance, attorney legal services, gifts, etc. At that time when I browsed their website, they had a link to a page where you could purchase ad spots. I checked moments ago and the pages selling ad time are now gone from their website -- http://www.kbrzsports.com However, you can still see part of the older archived version here with Advertise With Us and "One month free advertising" links -- http://web.archive.org/web/20140718102802/http://www.kbrzsports.com/

Anyway, I have no personal interest in what they do, and don't really care. So I'm backing out of this thread.

By the way, John. Last weekend I was listening to The Eagle 106.9 all the way up in Nacogdoches and Henderson. I remember back in the 80s when KRBE, Energy 96.5, and Z107 used to come in up there in the Piney Woods all the time. Now, well, 106.9 was the only Houston station I could find.

I didn't live here back then. But there's a lot more stations on the air today between here and there, and it makes a difference. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion. ;)

I've picked up KHPT as far north as Streetman in Freestone County, KTHT as far north as Lufkin.

I did live back here when the Houston stations really got out. I've heard KLOL in Corsicana, obliterating WRR, KRBE inside the Metroplex itself, and KSRR in Waco, but that's been many years now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't moving the signals from downtown out to Senior Rd. have something to do with the diminished signal heading towards Beaumont, Huntsville, etc.?

John, I see the K291ce engineering amendment got dismissed. http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0926/DOC-329581A2.txt

Purple, I think it was the other way around. In the 70s and early 80s, Houston stations were scattered all over town. I lived in MIssouri City and you had to find a different "sweet spot" for your antenna for each station. I had real hard time listening to 96 1/2 KAUM in the 70s, and when 79Q KKBQ took over 92.5 KYND from who knows where -- Pasadena??? -- that was almost impossible to pull in. Then they put up the monstrosity tower just south of my house, they one everyone referred to as the 20 Vision tower. I remember they were almost finished then on TV news Dave Ward was talking about a fall and people dead. Remembering going outside to have a look. Let me google it. Yep, there's a video documentary of the fall on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pkXq3zMf0

After this new tower went online in 1983, to the best of my recall these stations moved to it... 93Q, Classical 94.5, 97 Rock, 98 KFMK, 100.3 KILT, 101 KLOL, 104 KRBE, and 107.5 KGOL ? (Christian) moved to it and became super strong. So strong they were "bleeding" on other parts of the FM band, making it impossible to do any DXing. After that, 93Q and 97 Rock and all the rest were easily picked up west in Austin, east in Lake Charles, north in Corsicana, and south who knows? My relatives up in Henderson used to love listening to Moby every morning. Miss his get your lazy ass up wakeup! See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDkA_q-xR_M

Last edited:
I've picked up KHPT as far north as Streetman in Freestone County, KTHT as far north as Lufkin.

I did live back here when the Houston stations really got out. I've heard KLOL in Corsicana, obliterating WRR, KRBE inside the Metroplex itself, and KSRR in Waco, but that's been many years now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't moving the signals from downtown out to Senior Rd. have something to do with the diminished signal heading towards Beaumont, Huntsville, etc.?

Nope.....Sr Road actually increased their footprint...going from One Shell Plaza (750ft) to 2000ft on Sr Road...(with the CBR anyway)....Remember, "back in the day", the band/frequencies were cleaner then...(less signals on the band) and in the 70s and 80s there was heavy sunspot and tropo going on (tropo even now but no enhancement from sunspots)...I remember hearing KRBE into Dallas (before Sanger signed on)...and back in 1999/2000 102.9 Houston was clobbering KDMX in Fort Worth during the summer...so that still happens....When the signals moved to Sr Road in the 80s, they were heard in Huntsville quite better....reason is the same reason how KHKS was able to move from Denton to the Cedar Hill-Dallas antenna farm...the numbers said it originally would not throw city grade over COL, Denton...BUT then the consulting engineers took into account the terrain...with the increase of land elevation, they were able to prove that the City Grade signal would be right into Denton (but it was close).....in fact if you look at the FCC predicted contour (60dbu) it is just past Denton...but that is predicted without taking the ground elevation into effect. Getting the signals out of downtown (where One Shell was not longer the tallest building and was rapidly being shadowed by buildings on ALL sides), going to Sr Road was the best bet.

KTHT into Lufkin is fairly common...given where the tower is (NW of Shepherd, SW of Livingston)...its 22 miles airline between it and 106.9's tower, that is an easy shot to Lufkin...

Last edited:
The "Senior Road" tower has 92.9 KKBQ, 94.5 KTBZ, KKHH 95.7, KHMX 96.5, KBXX 97.9, KODA 99.1, KILT-FM 100.3, KLOL 101.1, and KRBE 104.1 on it.

107.5 has never been at Missouri City save for using KKBQ's backup antenna in emergencies. You may be thinking of 105.7 KHCB-FM, which is on one of the towers in Missouri City but not on the tower referred to as Senior Road.

All of the stations on that master antenna have aux sites at other nearby towers.

Because Houston is so flat and anybody can pretty much build anything anywhere, One Shell became a less desirable site because all the other buildings started blocking it in and the multipath was horrible. Moving out away from downtown helped that to some extent. But today you have a lot more second and third adjacents around the area than you had in 1983. It's not unlike AM where my opportunity to pull in WLS in Arizona went away when the FCC gave St. George, UT 50 kilowatts at night on 890. Cities that didn't have radio got stations they could call their own (until they were moved to where they could make money). And so it goes.

The city I grew up in had about 10-12 FM stations that you could carry for hundreds of miles. Today that market has 79 FM signals. The mountain top that the big ones are on hasn't changed, but everything surrounding them has, and now you run into noise from an adjacent signal outside of the market sooner than you did when the airwaves were less congested. The upside is today you have more choices than before.

IIRC, KKBQ was on 92.5 on Sr Road originally...and made the move up to 92.9 during the big move that involved KSBJ....that opened up 92.1 to be allocated to Seabrook......true on 107.5...my former boss built the 107.5 site in Chocolate Bayou on the 2000ft tower its on....(106.9 prevents it from moving closer and 106.5 prevents 106.9 from moving south)....in fact, iirc 107.5 had to wait for KWIC to move from 107.7 to 107.9 before it could upgrade to a 2000 ft Class C..

There used to be a single bay for each station at ~1000 ft on Sr Road to use as an aux (when Sr Road was the only 2000 ft out there)..but I suspect that all was removed due to the added weight and the need for the newer line to be run up the tower for the HD signals (it is combined at the antenna) Several full power aux are now on the ATC or Richland tower out in the farm.

Oh and KYND/KKBQ FM is still licensed to Pasadena.....but its transmitter was One Shell along with the others who moved to Sr Road...the old master on One Shell was removed years ago but the old 26 antenna, used by 20 after the original Sr Road fell, is still up there.

I thought KKBQ fm was always on 92.9 all the way back to the Q Zoo days with John Lander.

I also remember them broadcasting the AM/FM together as KKBQ - Houston / KKBQ-FM - Pasadena.

I thought KKBQ fm was always on 92.9 all the way back to the Q Zoo days with John Lander.

I also remember them broadcasting the AM/FM together as KKBQ - Houston / KKBQ-FM - Pasadena.

From the studios high atop the Central Bank Building in midtown Houston! 93Q was indeed on 92-5 for a period less than a year. Then, it moved to 92-9, 92-1 came to life in Seabrook, and somewhere along the line Groves got an allocation for the channel.

You are 100% correct, stan. The AM and the FM were combined for the Q Morning Zoo, however, during the rest of the day KKBQ went its own way as "Hot Hits 79Q", with an ID of KKBQ Houston. KYND(then KKBQ-FM) played the same music, but delayed. Its ID was KYND(KKBQ-FM) Pasadena, Houston as "93FM", "93KBQ", and finally the now longtime moniker of "93Q".

After a couple of years, the split broadcast was abandoned and KKBQ/KKBQ-FM were fully simulcast, as I recall. The legal ID then became "KKBQ-FM Pasadena-Houston, KKBQ Houston" and stayed that way until 790 broke back off of the simulcast and became "Unforgettable 790 KBME" in the mid 90s.

I remember that as well Joe. I remember flipping through the dial and finding stations bleeding over other parts of the dial. I wondered if something was wrong with my radio. I remember being able to get 93FM down in Corpus really well in the early to mid 80s, KRBE was hit or miss. It was funny when KRBE would come in down there. Our Power 104 was side by side with their Power 105. That struck up a couple "Ours is better" arguments with my cousins.

I stand corrected on the info I posted on Wikipedia about KKBQ-FM signing on at 92.5. According to another source KYND had already moved to 92.9 within the year before the flip. You can read more here: http://houstonradiohistory.blogspot.com/search?q=kynd.
I've since changed the article to coincide with the Houston Radio Blog. If you read the comments on the blog you'll see the conversations that confirm this as well

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom