• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Frank FM 99.1 KBIN - Pirate in the SCV?

I discovered Frank FM about a month ago. I ran across it because I'm a new LPFM here in Santa Clarita (KZNQ-LP). I was looking around for an alternate frequency to operate on and found Frank FM on 99.1. I already knew that there were no licensed stations, boosters, or transponders authorized to operate on 99.1 in the SCV. Other things that caught my attention were: lousy audio, no ID, no commercials, long pauses between songs (obviously a carosel cd player). I live here in the SCV and their signal is quite strong (covers the entire valley). According to the FCC Callsign Database, KBIN is an "unavailable" callsign but it doesn't appear to belong to anybody. It looks like it's an obvious Pirate Radio Station in my opinion.

My startup format will be Classic Country with some Modern Country mixed in. In the beginning, I'll be fully automated. Later on I'll do live assist. My CP is for 50 watts ERP on 101.5 from Round Mountain in Valencia (near Six Flags Magic Mountain). As soon as I go on the air, I'll file an amendment to increase my power to 100 watts ERP. My 60db contour will cover the entire Santa Clarita Valley. 101.5 is not my preferred frequency because of KGB in San Diego. Sometimes on those hot summer days when Tropospheric Ducting sets in there can be some objectionable interference on 101.5. I'm ready to go on the air right now. However the only thing preventing me from doing so is the inability "so far" to negotiate a reasonably priced tower lease.

Did you work for KBBQ? I worked there (in Ventura) for a short period of time (AM 1590, 5Kw).

Hi KJ.

Just a suggestion. If the FCC. Will let u. U should aim your tower signal toward the Antelope valley, my area Palmdale, Acton. Agua dulche. There are a lot of country fans out here old and new. And there is not a lot of FM Stations to interfere with your station out here. If I was you I would make it a directional, instead of non-directional. Just sayin

Vinny over in Simi Valley here. We get the station. Strange, though, as I lose it when heading over the 118 grade into the SFV. I also lose it towards Thousand Oaks. Didn't know it was a pirate station. Honestly, I don't care, because they play tons of stuff I never hear. I listen to it as I go to work. It's my favorite station.
Found this thread as I was trying to find information on the station. I swear I've heard DJs before, saying what songs were recently played. I hope they stick around.

My startup format will be Classic Country with some Modern Country mixed in.

That's a good choice. I'd go heavy late 80s to very early 2K hits, with one or two 70s & 60s gold titles per hour. Basically, what you won't hear on KHAY & KKGO. Local traffic & SCV news wouldn't hurt either. KHTS has a good thing going, but due to the topo in the SCV another music station wouldn't hurt.

With the 100 watts, you should boom. Even on 101.5. Fillmore, Piru, and the Agua Dulce areas are a bonus play if you ask me. Keep us updated as to when you get a tower lease and get on the air.

Did you work for KBBQ? I worked there (in Ventura) for a short period of time (AM 1590, 5Kw).

No, the name is more of a homage to the old 1500AM KROQ on Verdugo.

Hi KJ.

Just a suggestion. If the FCC. Will let u. U should aim your tower signal toward the Antelope valley, my area Palmdale, Acton. Agua dulche. There are a lot of country fans out here old and new. And there is not a lot of FM Stations to interfere with your station out here. If I was you I would make it a directional, instead of non-directional. Just sayin

Hi James -

Yeah, I'd love to have some coverage out there but it's not gonna make it. My 60db contour pretty much covers the SCV, but nothin outside
of the valley. I will be running a directional antenna (5 Element CP Yagi pointed East) from Round Mountain. Getting a tower site has turned
into a major headache. I might have to abandon Round Mountain in favor of transmitting from atop one of the coasters over at Magic Mountain instead. I'm currently testing my automation software. If you'd like to listen to the station, PM me and I'll send you a link to my
Icecast Server. These streams are currently private. I've got 3 streams configured. (1) 192k,44khz Icecast, (2) 128K,44khz Icecast, and (3) 96k,44Khz WMA9. Thanks for your comments,

Regards,

Bill

Mr. K -

Here is my stream URL if you'd like to take a listen. I'm not much of an announcer, I come from the Engineering side. But I can do it if there's nobody else to do it (>: This is an Icecast Stream (128K,44Khz). Plays best with Winamp.

http://www.kj6eo.com:7979/xjo_128

Regards,

Bill

Mr. K -

Here is my stream URL if you'd like to take a listen. I'm not much of an announcer, I come from the Engineering side.

Got it up and running now. The imaging is great, no need to knock it.

How close are you to a lease on the tower? BTW, I'm local.

Got it up and running now. The imaging is great, no need to knock it.

How close are you to a lease on the tower? BTW, I'm local.

Thanks for having a listen guys. Your expert guidance is appreciated. As far as Round Mountain goes, I think that one is a
dead issue. I've turned my attention over to Six Flags Magic Mountain now. Yesterday, I sent a letter to their President
requesting permission to install my antenna/transmitter on their property (in exchange for honorable mention, airtime, etc.).
More specifically, I said I'd like to install my antenna at the top of the Superman Ride (215 feet). I'm sure that I'd have a
whopping coverage area from up there. One of my second adjacent stations has a large PZ (465M), so I'll have to come up
with some creative way of getting around that problem. Paying a fortune for a 4-bay Shively isn't an option I can afford. I'll
keep you posted. I live near Seco Canyon and Copperhill. I ran a Part15.219 Low Power AM Station from this location for
10 years.

I had to drive up to Bakersfield yesterday to have lunch with my Brother. I was listening to Frank FM on 99.1. It didn't go very far up the 5. It died out somewhere between Castiac and Pyramid Lake. I was over in Mission Hills the other day and it was very strong over there. They've gotta be transmitting from a mountain top, could be Oat maybe. I wonder if the FCC is aware of them. The FCC seems to be more aggressive regarding FM Pirates. I'm surprised that they haven't shut them down yet. I'll just take a guess that Frank FM has been on the air now for several months at least.

Our "friend" is most likely in the hills in the area north of San Fernando. A little DFing put him east of Oat Mountain. Lots of height, not lots of power so most likely not Oat Mountain. There is a 10 watt translator up there on 91.9. 10 watts.

Dies out pretty fast going into Hollywood and in Sepulveda Pass. This same guy was on several years ago, same frequency, most likely same location. It will be interesting to see the FCC's notice of violation so find out from which hill top he is transmitting. Wouldn't be surprised if he was up at the top of Loop Canyon.

Several LPFM apps for the San Fernando valley on 99.1 Hope this guy isn't one of them.

Well whoever is doing this is pretty brazen. I doubt that he's transmitting from his home. Listen carefully during the silence between songs. There is what sounds like CPU noise being generated while the MP3 player is looking up the next song. I think this thing is a small portable package that somebodys took up to a mountain top somewhere and deployed. If it was hidden in rugged terrain, it would take some very sophisticated portable DF equipment to find it. Using a directional antenna, it's to the East of me in the general area that you described. It'll be interesting to read the "NOUO" after the FCC finds him.

Think he has land power and internet. The audio in not lowfi, but it's not hifi either. I heard the junk in his audio.

Might try a portable FM radio and check 94.3 for a null/peak then check 99.1. Wouldn't it be a hoot if he is up there on the tower above the Odyssey?

FM DFing is such a pain. Had a friend who found a station by removing the antenna from his car radio and driving up and down the streets in the area where the station was suspected of being located. That station was a\east of the 210 where the 118 ends.

I found KBLT in the early 90.s using a pair of binoculars. They were on the hill between Silver Lake and the ABC Prospect Studios and north of the Hollywood Freeway. The guy was a little surprised and used the "what radio station?" response to the knock on the door.

KFUN 91.9 operated in the mid 80s from a now non-existing hill off of Louis Avenue in Granada Hills. Ran about 40 watts ERP. Had a relative that new the operators girl friend.

Wish the FCC would hurry up and find Frank to save the trouble of finding him ourselves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom