• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Puerto Rican station WORA switches to ABC

davidgheller47

Frequent Participant
The ABC Television network announced today that Telecinco-owned station WORA will switch to ABC, so what do you think? Is that the last affiliation shake up ABC will make or will they try and change affiliations at the weaker markets (particularly St. Louis)?

Last edited:
I think it really doesn't much matter to anyone, except people who live in Puerto Rico. If ABC is going to switch affiliates in other markets, they will or they won't, but what they do in Puerto Rico has no impact on what they'll do anywhere else, one way or the other.

All the networks are always trying to do whatever is best for their operations. Any network that can improve itself by making any move will make that move. In that regard, networks are no different from any other business. But that universal business principle of always looking out for what's best for the business has nothing to do with any linkage between what it does in one location affecting what it does in another.

I think it really doesn't much matter to anyone, except people who live in Puerto Rico. If ABC is going to switch affiliates in other markets, they will or they won't, but what they do in Puerto Rico has no impact on what they'll do anywhere else, one way or the other.

All the networks are always trying to do whatever is best for their operations. Any network that can improve itself by making any move will make that move. In that regard, networks are no different from any other business. But that universal business principle of always looking out for what's best for the business has nothing to do with any linkage between what it does in one location affecting what it does in another.
I think it does matter to everybody

I think it does matter to everybody

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, even when there's nothing to support that opinion. Perhaps if you could find a list of people who don't live in Puerto Rico who think this matters, you could convince me that it matters to "everybody". I'll also attempt to compile a list of all of the people who don't live in Puerto Rico who think this matters to them, and when I can't find any names, that will prove that it only matters to Puerto Ricans.

I live in St. Louis, home of that so-called weak ABC affiliate KDNL, and I can assure you that this news doesn't matter to me at all. Avid is right: if they want to make more deals, they'll try to. If they don't, they won't. Either way, I doubt Sinclair's losing any sleep over this one.

When an ABC station airs "Maury" and their baby daddy stories/lie detector cheaters every day, you know that station is "weak"! Not to mention The People's Court and Judge Mathis!

-crainbebo

Avid, for once I agree with you. This is not exactly comparable to the late '70s/early '80s, when ABC seemed to pick up a new affiliate (usually from NBC) every month (note I say "seemed," I don't think the switches were quite that frequent), some of which, like WSB, KSTP, WRTV, and KGTV, were pretty heavy-hitters in their markets.

But for you folks in St. Louis I'm rooting for you to get KPLR as your ABC affiliate; KDNL seems to be a joke.

What's next WOLE-DT switches to Fox leaving Telemundo behind. Where does Univision do now that WORA switched to ABC? on 5.2?

I've been to Puerto Rico, the only stations that people watch in Puerto Rico are stations that broadcast in VHF such as (WKAQ Telemundo 2, WAPA IND 4, WIPR TuTV 6, WSTE, TeleIsla 7, WLII Univision 11, and WORO ORO-TV 13) the UHF stations in Puerto Rico shows crappy programs such as music videos, tele evangelical programs in Spanish, and some shows it seems like Public Access channel, except for WJPX TV 24 (Mundofox) and WMTJ 40 (PBS). I don't know how long will ABC 5 will last. Puerto Rico had a history of English TV station such as WORO TV 13 ABC WECN 18 NBC and WJPX PAX 24.

Looks WORA-DT has been preparing for this for awhile (say 2 years the latest) to break away from univision and become its own stand-alone channel away from teaming up with another channel (WAPA-TV ch. 4 1979 - 85, WKAQ-TV ch. 2 1985 - 95 and WLII ch. 11 TeleOnce / Univision 1995 - 2014). And they do currently have booster stations around the island (W05DA-D 5.1 Fajardo, W05DB-D 5.1 Ponce and W29EE-D 29.1 San Lorenzo) making more than ready to expand their reach. Now i know their first years (1955 - 1979) they were an independent station with on and off success. Does this means WOLE-DT 12.1 is next to declare independence as well breaking away from WKAQ-DT Telemundo and affiliate with another network say NBC or Fox? And in my opinon the viewers have decided that they rather watch the Big 4 Networks (and/or CW, MyNetwork TV and/or Ion than watch the spanish channels looking for a change in OTA television).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WORA-TV

Last edited:
Does this means WOLE-DT 12.1 is next to declare independence as well breaking away from WKAQ-DT Telemundo and affiliate with another network say NBC or Fox?

NBC is already on WKAQ 2-3, which is an NBC O&O.

- Trip

Even to someone without cable, what difference does any of this make to the viewer sitting down to watch TV? Assuming he has a modern digital TV set, and has programmed in all the channels he can pick up, when he hits the buttons to either scroll through or jump straight to the station he wants to watch, he can do that, right? So maybe a few channel numbers change. How is that a big deal for the guy sitting in his living room who wants to watch a TV show?

Even to someone without cable, what difference does any of this make to the viewer sitting down to watch TV? Assuming he has a modern digital TV set, and has programmed in all the channels he can pick up, when he hits the buttons to either scroll through or jump straight to the station he wants to watch, he can do that, right? So maybe a few channel numbers change. How is that a big deal for the guy sitting in his living room who wants to watch a TV show?

I can agree...as long as I find whatever program I want to see on any given channel, it shouldn't matter much about the channel number. My favorite show could be on channel infinity for all I care, as long as I receive said channel, it's all good.

I can agree...as long as I find whatever program I want to see on any given channel, it shouldn't matter much about the channel number. My favorite show could be on channel infinity for all I care, as long as I receive said channel, it's all good.

And yet so many folks seem to think this is a matter of earth shaking importance.

Looks like when ABC 5 succeeds in PR then the other local channels (i.e. WKAQ / WOLE, WSTE, WORO and WSUR for starters) will see the upside and in the case of WSUR ch.9 break away from WLII and become independent and join up with either CBS or Fox leaving WLII all alone. I do see WKAQ move to get NBC on their main channel (likewise for WOLE 12.1) and buy a UHF channel and move Telemundo to that channel, WSTE then joining Fox or CBS. WLII taking MyNetwork TV programming and moving Univision to a sub-channel (11.1 MyNetwork TV 11.2 Univision) and WORO becoming either a CW channel or become an indpendent channel. We could see a channel lineup in Puerto Rico like this:
WKAQ 2.1 (San Juan) NBC 2.2 Telemundo 2.3 Punto .2
WAPA 4.1 (independent), 4.2 WAPA Deportes
WORA 5.1 ABC, 5.2 MeTV or Bounce
WIPR 6.1 Puerto Rico TV
WSTE 7.1 CBS 7.2 This TV or Grit 7.3 Escape
WSUR 9.1 CW or Fox 9.2 Movies!
WLII 11.1 My Network TV 11.2 Univision
WOLE 12.1 (Aguadilla/Mayaguez) NBC 12.2 Telemundo, 12.3 Punto .2
WORO 13.1 CW or Fox 13.2 MeTV or Bounce
Now some of the UHF stations that air music videos and religious programming which barely get viewers will die out or be bought out by the bigger stations.

Looks like when ABC 5 succeeds in PR then the other local channels (i.e. WKAQ / WOLE, WSTE, WORO and WSUR for starters) will see the upside and in the case of WSUR ch.9 break away from WLII and become independent and join up with either CBS or Fox leaving WLII all alone. I do see WKAQ move to get NBC on their main channel (likewise for WOLE 12.1) and buy a UHF channel and move Telemundo to that channel, WSTE then joining Fox or CBS. WLII taking MyNetwork TV programming and moving Univision to a sub-channel (11.1 MyNetwork TV 11.2 Univision) and WORO becoming either a CW channel or become an indpendent channel. We could see a channel lineup in Puerto Rico like this:
WKAQ 2.1 (San Juan) NBC 2.2 Telemundo 2.3 Punto .2
WAPA 4.1 (independent), 4.2 WAPA Deportes
WORA 5.1 ABC, 5.2 MeTV or Bounce
WIPR 6.1 Puerto Rico TV
WSTE 7.1 CBS 7.2 This TV or Grit 7.3 Escape
WSUR 9.1 CW or Fox 9.2 Movies!
WLII 11.1 My Network TV 11.2 Univision
WOLE 12.1 (Aguadilla/Mayaguez) NBC 12.2 Telemundo, 12.3 Punto .2
WORO 13.1 CW or Fox 13.2 MeTV or Bounce
Now some of the UHF stations that air music videos and religious programming which barely get viewers will die out or be bought out by the bigger stations.

In what universe does this make any sense? Univision owns WSTE, WSUR, and WLII. If anything, WLII would start airing Unimas. WORO is owned by a Catholic religious institution. Why would any of them throw away money to air CW or My Network TV (or any of the other even lower-rated English networks listed) when 80%+ of the audience speaks Spanish as first language? Nobody runs Univision in Maine, so why would they run My Network TV in Puerto Rico?

- Trip

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom