• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shake 108 FM: New Non-Profit, Local Radio Station Launches in Miami

JayR

Star Participant
From the Miami New Times:

Shake 108 FM: New Non-Profit, Local Radio Station Launches in Miami

If you're scanning the FM dial and miraculously land on a song that doesn't suck, chances are you've found Miami's newest low-power radio station, 107.9, AKA Shake 108. For that, you can thank Miami native Peter Stebbins.

The 44-year-old first thought to start his own station years ago, after returning from a brief stint living in Atlanta and realizing how bad South Florida radio is.

The last statement says it all...

:)

Funny that he thought Atlanta radio was better than Miami radio. Tell that to the folks on the Atlanta board.

The main thing about this station is it's a non-profit, which means the listeners will have to support it. We'll see if that happens. If it does, hooray!

Funny that he thought Atlanta radio was better than Miami radio. Tell that to the folks on the Atlanta board.

The main thing about this station is it's a non-profit, which means the listeners will have to support it. We'll see if that happens. If it does, hooray!

Not gonna get anywhere with this:

"It's not supposed to be 'alternative' - just good music," Stebbins says. "You might hear an old Yellowman reggae song, followed by bluegrass from North Carolina, followed by Suénalo, then Beyoncé, then Elvis."

Sounds like it's a vanity project for some guy to broadcast his iPod. I wonder who they beat out for the license?

Per the Miami New Times story linked in the original post: nobody. Believe it or not, he was a singleton.

The story just says he got the frequency to himself, not that no one else applied.

I wish the guy success, but it does seem like he lucked out more than anything.

I have heard this station. I won't say that the music "does not suck", as the profuse praise in New Times states. I'll just say that I don't care for the programming at all, and I wouldn't listen to it, except maybe at gunpoint. I wish them the best of luck anyway.

The story just says he got the frequency to himself, not that no one else applied.

I wish the guy success, but it does seem like he lucked out more than anything.

No, 107.9 in Miami was indeed a singleton. Most metro LPFMs had several applicants for the same channel; the fact that Miami had FOUR singletons is amazing. The list of singletons as of December 2013: http://recnet.com/window2013/LPFM_Singletons_12-01-2013.pdf

In a heavily radioed metro, eclectic music mixes would be the only option left for LPFMs. I haven't tried to seek out their online stream so I can only judge by others' comments that Shake wouldn't be my cup o' tea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom