• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cyberdad's Stromberg Carlson?

Stromberg Carlson with following presets (at bottom of page):

WTMJ WGN WBBM WENR-WLS WCFL WISN WEMP

http://userpages.bright.net/~geary/fm/fm.html

That radio looks quite familiar. Not exactly the way I remember it, but close. I don't think the receiver I remember had short wave (or if it did, it didn't work). I DO remember the WENR-WLS preset button, and the Chicago stations, and I seem to recall WIND and WJJD. I don't think Milwaukee stations were included, although perhaps WTMJ was. My guess is that the radio pictured may have been the Milwaukee version of the radio. WISN (then on 1150) and WRIT (then on 1340) wouldn't have had a usable signal much beyond the Illinois-Wisconsin state line.

The first preset is very difficult to make out. The T looks like a 3 almost. And I was wondering, why not WMAQ?

I looked this up because of the anachronistic radio on "The Roosevelts" on PBS. That radio was supposed to be from the Roosevelt administration, but it showed FM as 88-108 MHz. I wonder what kind of tuning mechanism the FM section used? A lot of the earlier FM radios used a tuned slug for FM, which complicated the single knob tuning mechanism. Anyone care to elaborate on how that worked? Our 1962 Magnavox Stereo Theater had a little box with the tuning component presumably inside. There was a cord like a dial cord that wrapped around the shaft and turned it. I forget how it connected to the rest of the dial cord mechanism. Perhaps it was another several windings of dial cord wrapped around the tuning shaft?

The first preset is very difficult to make out. The T looks like a 3 almost. And I was wondering, why not WMAQ?

Looking at it again, it might have been WSM....although that middle "letter" sure looks like a 3. The Grand Old Opry was very popular during the era when that radio was made. But why would WISN and WEMP be included and WTMJ and WMAQ be omitted?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom