• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1520 KQQB Stockdale is finally back

A

Anonymouse

KQQB 1520 AM Stockdale, now owned by the Raftt Corporation, is now back on the air and playing what sounds like a Spanish Christian format. The audio on it isn't too good (sounds like they're using a low quality digital stream of some kind and even then it cuts out and returns every couple minutes), but they always have room for improvement and this is brand new so I'm not too surprised.
Good luck to them, whatever happens. Congratulations to Rafft for getting it back up and running. :)

Last edited:
Update time, KQQB isn't really doing too great, unfortunately. The spots of dead air have become more frequent and for the past few days it's been nothing but dead air as far as I can tell. I just checked it a minute ago and it's on but no audio comes through.

I really wish these stations would play something if they're going to be on the air. If I were the owner I would just scrap the dead air and load up a cheap laptop at the transmitter site with Winamp and some of my favorite tunes to play with a legal ID every hour, at least temporarily until the STL could get worked out/improved. When the Radio Libertad network from Corpus Christi had control of this station last year, it never had problems like this. Perhaps they could come back and program it - just an idea.

--

KQQB has been on and dead air since my last post, if anyone cares. LOL

Here's to you, Halletsville. Ain't it grand that you lost your AM service for this?

I thought the main reason why they lost their AM was because KYND upgraded?

Nope. It was a combined effort to move KHLT into San Antonio and upgrade KYND. They were still co-owned at the time, but not anymore. KQQB was sold off.

It's back, with Spanish Christian again (pretty good audio now and I think it's Radio Vida).

Dead air again.

I figure I'm pretty much the only one interested. LOL, I'll just say that if you want to know what's on KQQB then I suggest you try and listen. :p We'll see what happens with it.

I thought I heard English talk on 1520 today near Austin but that could of been KYND.

I expect KYND is what you heard, Jras.
KQQB isn't really doing anything now, off the air. I think they should sell it to someone who cares about radio.

Hearing a silent transmitter on 1520. I suspect this is KQQB. I'll update if anything changes.

I decided today to tune by 1520 for the first time, in, say, a few months to check on KQQB's progress. What'd you know? Yep, totally down!

Now the story on the new owners is out, I'm sorry I ever said anything too hopeful about them when they were on the air. I really had no idea until very recently what RAFTT was all about...
They really should turn the license in or sell it, if they won't use it. They don't even have an STA, TMK.

Last edited:
This is another one of RAFTTs stations with its license in jeopardy. Banned broadcaster Don Werlinger recently filed a fraudulent engineering app using someone else's name that seeks to modify the signal to be directionally focused at San Antonio...

If the FCC does the right thing they will not let it pass.

Wouldn't that be too close to KEDA 1540 AM? It would splatter interference like KTMR 1130 does to KRDY 1160. What's up with these stations popping up insanely close to each other, I wonder?

If the FCC does the right thing they will not let it pass.

The FCC does not seemed very concerned when stations are off the air, although I think they should be. You are supposed to file for a STA (Special Temporary Authorization) if you are off the air for over 30 days. The STA is good for a year, then the station has to come back on or you turn in the licence. I'm sure the FCC grants waivers for extenuating circumstances, but is seems most of the dark stations never file for the STA, and the FCC lets it slide for years. I guess they are overwhelmed with other fish to fry....

Checked 1520 yesterday, transmitter was on with no audio. At least it's not making terrible noises.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom