• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.7 Moving to Urban

Whoever your source is was a good one. Now, the question is why. A perfectly good Generation X format gives way to the alternative format gives way to this. Their ratings must have been pretty bad.

The fact that 106.7 flipped is not surprising. But their new format choice is sure a surprise, especially for CC, er IHM. Anyone know if it is still Premium Choice?

Re:

Now they need to take 105.7 mainstream rock and take on The Blitz.

Yeah, because mainstream rock worked soooooo well when it was tried on 99.7. I doubt such a change would help 105.7's numbers appreciably.

And, yes, 106.7's ratings have been stinking up the joint as of late. I think the decision to go Urban is a good move.

I am still waiting for one of those FMs to start simulcasting 610 full-time. To me, 106.7 is the only one that makes sense, if any of them do.

Wow. I am kind of surprised that iHeartmedia is doing this with 106.7 .. I wonder if this means WNCI shifts more towards HOT AC? Interesting their tag line for 106.7 The Beat is "Columbus' REAL Hip Hop & R&B" that's a stab at Power 107.5 for "Columbus' Hottest Hip Hop and R&B"

Now thing is... WCKX is local.. Will CC have any local talent or just run a Premium Choice Urban format.

The folks over at CD102.5 and The Blitz have to be happy with this change at 106.7 with the Rock format disappearing.

Last edited:
Yeah, because mainstream rock worked soooooo well when it was tried on 99.7. I doubt such a change would help 105.7's numbers appreciably.

And, yes, 106.7's ratings have been stinking up the joint as of late. I think the decision to go Urban is a good move.

I wouldn't call what The Blitz did a few years back mainstream rock. It was mostly 70s and 80s rock with a little 90s mixed in. More active rock is what I am talking about...

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/allaboutcountry/Charts.asp?format=R2R

Wow. I am kind of surprised that iHeartmedia is doing this with 106.7 .. I wonder if this means WNCI shifts more towards HOT AC? Interesting their tag line for 106.7 The Beat is "Columbus' REAL Hip Hop & R&B" that's a stab at Power 107.5 for "Columbus' Hottest Hip Hop and R&B"

Now thing is... WCKX is local.. Will CC have any local talent or just run a Premium Choice Urban format.

The folks over at CD102.5 and The Blitz have to be happy with this change at 106.7 with the Rock format disappearing.

'X' did fill an audience void between 102.5 and The Blitz. Hence why it lasted as long as it did and even returned post-GenX attempt.

These days with Mix 107.9 no longer playing any alternative, somebody like a JackFM may decide to fill some of the void.

Or if I was Wilks, I'd consider a variant of 'X' for one of my smaller sticks. Maybe skew more female like the "Click" Modern AC/Alternative formats in Seattle, Dayton, etc?

I'm sure this is Premium Choice b/c I don't see CC hiring a PD that knows Urban to program the station. There likely won't be any promotion put into the station either and in the end after that new car smell is gone it won't perform much better than the signal was with Alternative music. I'd be surprised to see any actual local talent. It will mostly likely be Premium Choice or VT from another market. This is the 4th format change for this signal since 2008 or 2009 I believe...PITT-I-FUL

I wish they would just sell off these premium choice stations. They are no different than listening to satellite radio, itunes radio etc. I guess I'm just old school and I enjoy hearing local talent on stations that are locally programmed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom