• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I saw "Hot Bench" and...

I've mentioned the "Judge Judy" spinoff "Hot Bench" several times and had a chance to finally see it yesterday. To refresh everyone's memory, the show features the same types of small-claims cases as its parent show; on the episode I saw, a man was suing an entertainer who comes to kids' birthday parties dressed as a mouse and who apparently didn't notify the man that he couldn't make it; in the second case of the day, a woman with a Chihuahua was suing a neighbor whose pit bull, it went beyond argument, put some nasty gnashes on the little dog's fur (the pit bull owner was grabbing at straws, even trying to blame the woman for not having the dog on a leash--but then neither was his).

The difference here is that there are three judges (two female, one male) who can interrupt a litigant or witness at any time (on a much smaller scale, this is like appellate lawyers arguing before higher courts, except, of course, these litigants are ordinary people who are on their own). When the judges have asked all their questions, they then move to another room to deliberate (these are shown), then return with their verdict (the man whose daughter didn't get to see the mouse and the woman with the Chihuahua both won). After they are excused, the parties make their comments in post-proceeding interviews, as on the original show.

The set looks like a carbon copy of Judge Judy's; an Hispanic woman bailiff replaces Byrd, and there's a Jerry Bishop soundalike announcer. Randy Douthit is executive producer and director of both shows. What's missing are some judges you either love or love to hate. None of these judges has 10% of Judy's charisma. I'd also like to see more interruptions to get the person being questioned more flustered; if that person can overcome and continue to make a coherent case, so much the better for him or her. And yes, they throw in those New York scenes going into and out of commercial breaks, although it's pretty obvious the show is taped in Los Angeles.

I think that for this show to survive one season, either the judges are going to have to become more abrasive or it may be necessary to replace one or two. The only one I'm impressed with at this point is the woman who speaks with an English accent.

Also, I think a lot of stations are hedging their bets; the show is distributed by CBS, yet it's not on WCBS or KCBS unless it's on after Letterman and Feguson (possibly WPIX and KTLA are taking it). In Raleigh/Durham MyNetwork affiliate WRDC is running back-to-back episodes at 2 and 2:30 PM, but in Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point no one is carrying it (I expected Fox affiliate WGHP to have it).

As for Judy, she was back in the groove, getting in the way of two women who attended a ladies' auxilliary VFW meeting in Raleigh, with one alleging illegal or offensive touching and name calling. And her treatment of the girl whose slow driving on a Colorado mountain road, resulting in a fender-bender, was priceless. especially when she let the girl have it for having let her insurance lapse and the girl was somewhat smug about it.

Bottom line: I predict a successful seaon 19 for Judy; "Hot Bench" needs some adjustments (read: ralent) to survive beyond its first year.

Hot Bench is on KCAL here in Los Angeles (back-to-back episodes at 10 and 10:30am; in fact, they have a somewhat courtroom-heavy lineup (America's Court with Judge Ross, the aforementioned Hot Bench, Judge Mathis, The People's Court, Justice for All, and Supreme Justice--the latter two air in the 3am hour). KTLA has Paternity Court overnights (2 and 3:30am). Honestly, I never heard of Paternity Court (I guessing it aired locally here on KDOC, our UHF indie based in Orange County), and checking out its Wiki page, the show taped at Sunset-Bronson Studios (home base of KTLA and Judge Judy) until this year, when production moved to Atlanta.

Outside of the original People's Court and maybe Judge Judy on occasion, I'm not a big fan of court shows...but I may check out Hot Bench just out of curiosity.

It's amazing how many court shows Byron Allen has produced. Mablean Ephraim's new show is his 5th court show produced. All fake actors and cheap sets - and overnight graveyard slots on television stations.
Hot Bench hopefully will go on for a few years. This isn't your normal court show and I don't even believe any court show has had 2, much less 3 judges. I wonder if they could have Judge Alex come back to do that show soon, or Larry Joe Doherty from the old "Texas Justice" program. It would get a little more attention, the 3 judges are mainly no-namers, except for Patricia DiMango who did some court work for NYC criminal court in the 1990s.

-crainbebo

Got to see Hot Bench today on KNDO. Good court show. Like I said, the 3 judges were unknown except for Patricia DiMaggio. Today's case was about racism and inequality. A man sued his ex-business partner for treating him in a racial way.
Also got to see Lauren Lake's Paternity Court (on KCYU) and it's just Maury without him and the set. DNA testing in a courtroom with screaming women. Yawn.
And Celebrity Name Game is a good game show, Craig Ferguson is a good host. It's also on at noon, on KIMA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom