• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two NBC stations for Jackson TN?

U

Unregistered

Back in 2011 New Moon Communications bought channel 35 WZMC low power to be Jackson's NBC station, but now a new station owned by Jackson. INC. WNBJ-LD 39 (transmit channel 16) is listed as Jackson's future NBC station. Jackson can't have 2 NBC stations can it? Could New Moon sue? Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Back in 2011 New Moon Communications bought channel 35 WZMC low power to be Jackson's NBC station, but now a new station owned by Jackson. INC. WNBJ-LD 39 (transmit channel 16) is listed as Jackson's future NBC station. Jackson can't have 2 NBC stations can it? Could New Moon sue? Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Could Raycom/WMC sue?

Could Raycom/WMC sue?

I don't know WMC is licensed to Memphis. I what answers to these questions though? If you want to see WNBJ's promo go you can go on you tube and look it up? Also New Moon has a website.

Here's another good reason why the forums for each market should include both radio and TV. Such a petty issue about one small city hardly belongs in NATIONAL TV.

Jackson doesn't have one or two NBC stations, actually; they currently have zero. WZMC's license was cancelled by the FCC in August 2013.

WZMC, like all of NM's 'proposed' NBC affiliates that came out of TBN's fire sale of transmitters, never came back to air; that site hasn't been updated for years and NM is no longer a going concern. The proposed 'WDON' in Dothan for instance was sold off to Gray and became WRGX-LD, coming to air under their management. So WZMC can't do anything since it never even existed.

WZMC, like all of NM's 'proposed' NBC affiliates that came out of TBN's fire sale of transmitters, never came back to air; that site hasn't been updated for years and NM is no longer a going concern. The proposed 'WDON' in Dothan for instance was sold off to Gray and became WRGX-LD, coming to air under their management. So WZMC can't do anything since it never even existed.

So WZMC's license is no longer active. Well about WNBJ-LD, their construction permit was only granted two to two and a half months ago.

From what I could find on REC Net and the FCC website they were granted an extension on the CP last month:

http://cdbs.recnet.net:8080/fmq.php?facid=185218

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1646791

The You Tube video said they would be on this month, but I haven't seen anything on OTA or Charter Cable yet.

It looks like it would have made sense for WJKT Fox 16 in Jackson to have put NBC on a subchannel, but Nexstar apparently still has a do nothing attitude toward subchannels on most of their stations. :mad:

Jackson also has another LPTV station that signed on recently, WYJJ-LD 27. They have Soul of The South and MNTV on 27.1 and Doctor TV and The Worship Network overnight on 27.2 .

I hope that WNBJ gets picked up on Charter Cable in Jackson. I'd also love it if they could get Me TV away from WBBJ and make it a full time subchannel.

Last edited:
Jackson also has another LPTV station that signed on recently, WYJJ-LD 27. They have Soul of The South and MNTV on 27.1 and Doctor TV and The Worship Network overnight on 27.2 .

I hope that WNBJ gets picked up on Charter Cable in Jackson. I'd also love it if they could get Me TV away from WBBJ and make it a full time subchannel.

I'd love it if WBBJ moves CBS to 7.2 and start airing it in true HD (not widescreen SD).

Last edited:
Scott Fybush had a post in another thread about WBBJ and Me TV few years back about why there is no room for Me TV or CBS on 7.2. I've tried to find it on RD's search, but as usual it isn't pulling up anything on older posts. (Is this EVER going to be fixed?) What he had said was that WBBJ didn't have enough bandwidth on 7.2 because it was 7.1's video with a secondary audio channel (that almost never carries anything different from 7.1), and that the rest of their bandwidth is taken up by 7.1 and 7.3. Here is a link on Rabbit Ears that shows how it is distributed: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_station&facility_id=65204 What they should be doing is to have ABC on 7.1, CBS on 7.2, (Both in HD) and Me TV on 7.3 and drop the so-called "secondary" ABC subchannel, which is useless.

Other stations owned by Bahakel have managed to get Me TV into their allowed bandwidth, even with the secondary audio channel WBBJ's management had promised to make Me TV a full time subchannel, but it's been almost 3 years and they still haven't done anything because they won't get off of their wallet to make the adjustments to the bandwidth. :mad: That's why I hope that another station in Jackson will be able to take Me TV away from WBBJ and make it full time in the future.

Thanks for finding that link. I had even tried searches on Google and Bing, but the closest I could find was another post I made referring to Scott's post, but the link there didn't work any more. How did you find it?

To the moderators: With all the changes that are being considered, the search function STILL needs a serious overhaul! :(

How good will WNBJ's coverage be since it is a Low Power station? Another limiting factor for its coverage is it will be broadcasting on channel 16, the same channel WLOV Fox 27 out of West Point, MS broadcasts on.

Also, has WYJJ-LD been picked up on cable in Jackson, TN ?

How good will WNBJ's coverage be since it is a Low Power station? Another limiting factor for its coverage is it will be broadcasting on channel 16, the same channel WLOV Fox 27 out of West Point, MS broadcasts on.

Also, has WYJJ-LD been picked up on cable in Jackson, TN ?

It isn't on Charter cable in Jackson yet. I really don't think they're on the air yet. With their getting a CP extension I really wonder if they'll be on this month.

They're showing a coverage map on their Facebook page, but I don't know how accurate it is. It's showing about a 25 mile radius:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1417849202_7ee2f1141408231f038d772ce33cb6c5 I don't think there will be much of a problem with WLOV except for in some freaky weather conditions on the South area of their signal.

I'd guess they'll probably be on cable because that would give them a bigger coverage area, at least on Charter. If they do, this should also make it where there are two options for NBC in Jackson, and get Charter back to where they have two options for all of the Big 4 networks except ABC, which WBBJ has had an deal with Charter to keep any other ABC stations from Memphis or Nashville out for years.

Since you posted a coverage map for WNBJ, I went on the same site to find one for WLOV

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1180185&map=Y

The reason I commented about WLOV and possible interference Is because WLOV can also pick picked up in even as far north as in part of Lauderdale and Colbert
Counties in North Alabama, so likely it can be picked up in southern Tennessee too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom