• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Happy Birthday, June Foray

The incomparable June Foray was born September 18, 1917. One of the greatest voice artists of all time, Foray has given life to Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Natasha Fatale, Witch Hazel, and Cindy Lou Who, just to name a few. She’s worked extensively with Disney and Warner Brothers animation, but some of her earliest work came during the Golden Age of Radio, including collaborations with Stan Freberg (both in his recordings and on his own short-lived radio series).

Happy 97th birthday to this tremendously talented actress!

http://downthesemeanstreetspodcast.tumblr.com/post/97825416462/happy-birthday-june-foray

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Foray

My father was an animator at Jay Ward productions. He liked to sit in on the recording sessions, and came home with great stories of June Foray, William Conrad, and Paul Frees having bawdy fun in the recording studio. He thought June was a great person. He described her as tiny - very diminutive. It's nice to know she's still around. The best stories were about Conrad, who apparently had a wicked sense of humor, a filthy vocabulary, and liked to play practical jokes. For proof of that, you can check out the Cannon outtakes on YouTube.

I've read that William Conrad was the same way during rehearsals for the radio version of "Gunsmoke," and there are probably some wild outtakes of that show with him and the rest of the cast (who included Parley Baer and Howard McNear, both of whom went on to "The Andy Griffith Show"). I guess sometimes the people you think are most intimidating are really the most fun.

June Foray is just about the last living link the the golden age of cartoons. May she live another 97 years.

I was surprised to learn that the Bud Collyer who hosted the game show "To Tell the Truth" was the voice of Superman on the radio.

I was also a major fan of voice actors like June Foray, Daws Butler, and of course, Mel Blanc. I was especially impressed by the multi-voiced character actors who could handle multiple characters on live radio. It's one thing to record different characters at different times for some tech to stitch together. It's another to engage in a conversation with yourself as two totally different voices.

Phil Hendrie is one of the few who can do multiple character voices live. Talking to himself in two or three character voices.

I was surprised to learn that the Bud Collyer who hosted the game show "To Tell the Truth" was the voice of Superman on the radio.

I was also a major fan of voice actors like June Foray, Daws Butler, and of course, Mel Blanc. I was especially impressed by the multi-voiced character actors who could handle multiple characters on live radio. It's one thing to record different characters at different times for some tech to stitch together. It's another to engage in a conversation with yourself as two totally different voices.

Collyer was also the voice of Superman on a late 60s animated version for TV.

I've read that William Conrad was the same way during rehearsals for the radio version of "Gunsmoke," and there are probably some wild outtakes of that show with him and the rest of the cast (who included Parley Baer and Howard McNear, both of whom went on to "The Andy Griffith Show"). I guess sometimes the people you think are most intimidating are really the most fun.

June Foray is just about the last living link the the golden age of cartoons. May she live another 97 years.

For Mel Blanc fans - you can find a lot of his TV work - both as an off camera voice, and in front of the camera on The Jack Benny Program - on You Tube.

"Train leaving on track 9...for Anaheim, Azusa, and KOOK........amonga."

Seth MacFarlane does it too, at least when he appeared on a special program. Does he do his sitcom voices that way too?

I don't know about MacFarlane, but whenever I've gotten any sort of voice actor gig for animation, it was always recorded one character's line at a time. There was some technical reason about editing and matching lip sync. At least, that's what they told me. Not that I got very many gigs like that. I watching "behind the scenes" documentaries about producing animation, only two animated movies made a point about the voice actors interacting with each other while recording the voices. They were "Rango", the one about the lizards that starred Johnny Depp, and "The Road to El Dorado", starring Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh. I would imagine that if they have the actors record their lines separately when its different actors, they'd probably do the same when it's one actor doing multiple roles.

I don't know about MacFarlane, but whenever I've gotten any sort of voice actor gig for animation, it was always recorded one character's line at a time. There was some technical reason about editing and matching lip sync. At least, that's what they told me. Not that I got very many gigs like that. I watching "behind the scenes" documentaries about producing animation, only two animated movies made a point about the voice actors interacting with each other while recording the voices. They were "Rango", the one about the lizards that starred Johnny Depp, and "The Road to El Dorado", starring Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh. I would imagine that if they have the actors record their lines separately when its different actors, they'd probably do the same when it's one actor doing multiple roles.

Apples and oranges...Modern animated features with "star" voices are recorded piecemeal to accommodate the time demands of the on-camera careers of these actors. The old-school voice actors all came from radio, where they worked "live," clustered around one or two mikes. As LKellerIII mentioned, that's how the Jay Ward shows were recorded; the same was true of Hanna-Barbera. I would assume most other producers worked the same way, with the possible exception (in some cases) of Walt Disney.

(And yes, there are some "dirty" rehearsal tapes of Gunsmoke in circulation among OTR buffs. One funny sidelight is that William Conrad, with that gruff bass, cackled like a duck when he laughed!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom