• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1500 has been down for a long time

A

Anonymouse

Claro Communications's 1500 KBRN AM from Boerne TX has been either silent or broadcasting a dead carrier for over a month now. Can't be sure which as I'm very far away but it sounds like a dead carrier broadcasting nothing.

Anyone know if it will be fixed soon? Really these operators should take better care of their stations.

Construction Permit

Claro Communications's 1500 KBRN AM from Boerne TX has been either silent or broadcasting a dead carrier for over a month now. Can't be sure which as I'm very far away but it sounds like a dead carrier broadcasting nothing.

Anyone know if it will be fixed soon? Really these operators should take better care of their stations.
They might be building on the Construction permit. Going Directional with 1900 watts day, 15 night.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I heard KBRN 1500 very briefly when the power went out at my place with a pocket radio, it was on with Radio Formula, but the audio was barely audible.

Okay... I checked at a better location multiple days and times, the station *is* on, but no audio travels on it.
What's the need to leave the AM transmitter on like that for months at a time? I don't understand that at all. KBRN operators, if you're reading this, please either buy a cheap laptop and download some music and liners to run at the transmitter site, or get some satellite Internet or a phone line or perhaps string and ducktape hooked up to transfer audio from San Antonio...

Still Radio Formula

It's still Radio Formula, although very, very quiet. Nice, seems they still have a station (if not a perfect one).

KBRN seems to have finally shut off their transmitter.

The webstream of Radio Formula SA is still going although right now it's not sounding that good.

Maybe the CP will help KBRN. Ever since the station appeared as a 250 watt AM daytime, it has been struggling. If I recall correctly, Alan Hemberger, who died of a heart attack in late 2013, and had been a TV News Anchor in several markets including San Antonio and Houston, owned the station. It was mainly a Big Band station with minimal billing. When I was nearby in the early 1990s, it was run live with a Music of Your Life styled format but according to some employees only billed about $5,000 a month then. Paulino Bernal ran his programming for years but seems to have a rough time in recent years.

Everyone I have known at this Boerne station have told me the big problem about being a local station is so many go toward San Antonio to work, shop and dine. It seems KBRN at 250 watts is gone by the time you get to the Loop meaning you tune to another station and usually forget to tune back on the return. I even thought the format options would not be the best and wondered how they would have done with a more mass appeal format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom