• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fred Leonard Rebuttal

Fred wrote: "Hangman" calls it a "rotten war" and brags about being part of it? Strange. Sorry, I have more respect for the "draft dodgers," who thought for themselves and had the guts not to participate in an illegal war, in which the US invaded a country most people had never heard of, committing atrocities, killing innocent people because all Viet Namese might be the enemy ("they all look alike"), destroying an already backward country, ruining people's lives. They have so much to be proud of. Funny how the people who talk so much about how they hate and distrust the government are so willing to do what it tells them - if that involves harm to foreigners.

I guess interpretation is up to the individual. I read the same post you did but did not take away that Hangman was "bragging". I too served in Vietnam and tell people about my experiences when it is appropriate but I do not consider that "bragging". I would opine that most vets are that way.

And you need to educate yourself on the reasons we went to war in Vietnam. For better or worse, and it did turn out worse, the effort was initially designed to support the corrupt Catholic dictatorship of the former French colony. That was mistake #1. We initially tried to issue a measured military response and hoped the insurgents would stay north of the DMZ. Mistake #2. We widened the war outside Vietnam into neighboring countries to address the enemy's supply lines. Mistake #3. But the biggest mistake was that we didn't fight to win. Our political "leadership", such as it was, was afraid of North Vietnam's sponsor countries and didn't want to antagonize them any more than necessary so we ended up sacrificing 50,000+ of our military and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese from both sides in a futile effort. Mistake #4.

Vietnam was a lot like the Pacific theater during WWII. It was a vicious, intense murderous conflict where no quarter was asked or given. It was impossible to tell the Vietnamese enemy from friend - and frequently friends turned into enemies overnight. If you have never tried fighting in such a war you cannot imagine the difficulties in identifying one from another and the mistakes that invariably happen. While it is true that a very few atrocities took place on our watch it is also true this was standard operating procedure for our enemy - most of the time against their own people.

I have a few Vietnamese friends today - all of whom were boat people who fled their country after the fall in 1975. Without exception they do not blame us for trying to help even though we caused a great deal of suffering. Their families who stayed suffered a great deal more at the hands of their new Communist masters.

And if you are going to lay the blame on an American politician for starting the war go back to Ike who, in 1954, picked up the war the French had already lost.

Fred wrote: The "support the troops" attitude Mr. Eduardo and Hangman demand, and which the media embrace, does nothing more than allow more such wars and more US service personnel to die, be injured for life or otherwise have their lives ruined. Maybe it helps those who have gone overseas to (as Rush puts it) "kill people and break things" to avoid shame and guilt and to feel better about their crimes but, more importantly, these undeclared "wars" are good for business.

"Support the troops" does not necessarily mean support for the reasons they are fighting. Whether you agree with the war's purpose or not you still must admit it takes a certain bravery to put on a uniform and go in harm's way. And for those who come back in poorer condition than they left it shows a nation's gratitude for their effort.

I will agree that in my lifetime America has gotten involved in many more conflicts that it should have. Interfering in the politics of South American countries in the 50's (and going back to the policies of Teddy Roosevelt), the Middle East and Southeast Asia but none of those were started by our military. It was the politicians who got us involved and then sent our armies in. If you are going to put the blame on someone at least put it where it belongs and not on the poor soldier who has no say.

Fred wrote: And back to slavery: People were drafted and sent to Viet Nam. Call conscription what it is: Slave armies.

Most of us who fought in Vietnam were given little choice. We either were drafted directly into the military or "volunteered" under the threat of mandatory military service. I was one of the latter and I joined up before any of us had heard of Vietnam. I was in the Navy almost one year before anyone in my company knew where Vietnam was (it was called French Indo-China in the classrooms of our high school). We had no choice where we were sent. We could have ignored our draft notices and many did. We could have deserted once in the military and many did that too. The honorable ones were the people that served. That we were consistently lied to by our military and civilian leaders and put in a war we could not win as staged was not our fault. We did what we were told to do and most did it honorably and with significant bravery. It was the politicians and senior military who were and are responsible for the gaffe that was Vietnam, not the individual soldier, sailor, airman and marine.

Fred wrote: Germans, whose actions were no different than things US forces had done then and since, were considered war criminals. Different standards apply to winners and losers. Civilian targets in Germany were bombed to (Churchill's words) to promote "terror." Not much different than flying passenger planes in office buildings.

You are a first class idiot. American forces did not maintain concentration camps and the wholesale murder of civilians who belonged to a certain class of people. American troops did not massacre entire villages in retaliation for the activities of underground soldiers or civilian spies. American troops did not burn down entire towns as a means of terrorizing the locals into submission. American troops did not massacre captured enemy soldiers. And our enemies were treated for the most part in line with the Geneva Convention and given adequate food and shelter as captives. When German troops were on the verge of defeat and had a choice of whom to surrender it was always the armies of the West they would go to. Although there are always incidents in war that are outside the boundaries of the general rules of warfare it was not official policy in the Western armies as it was with the German Wehrmacht.

And, once again, if you care to educate yourself you will find that Churchill began his "terror bombing" of German cities only after Germany unleashed its own bombing of civilians in England.

I do not know how old you are nor your background but will estimate you are operating from hindsight in your knowledge and evaluation of the war in Vietnam. Much of what you spew sounds identical to that flushed out of ultra-liberal media. Unless you lived through those times you cannot possibly understand how it occurred.

Land Tuna Rebuttal

I don't think I've had anybody name a thread after me. I'm flattered.

(1) I am aware of the historical antecedents, "reasons" or "rationalizations" the US got involved in Viet Nam. Your listing of them sounds like you agree with me. But the real reason for the war is like the reason some kid does something dangerously stupid at recess. He's more afraid of being called "chicken" than of breaking his neck. And Democrats, then and now, fear right-wing demagogs like Nixon, McCarthy and Wallace saying they aren't tough enough.

(2) And don't call it a "war." It's only a war when congress declares war and they haven't had the ballz to do that since December, 1941.

(3) Can't tell friends from enemies in an Asian conflict. Does this mean you can in a European conflict? Sounds like "they all look alike to me."

(4) Yes, "support the troops" in practical does mean support for the reasons they are fighting and implicit for the fighting itself. It mutes criticism of sending troops - and sending even more troops - until it's too late. It inhibits people from marching and protesting and the media from investigating and offering anti-war views.

(5) People who go into combat with "little choice" is the definition of "slave armies."

(6) I see. Your idea of first class idiot is one who does not parrot the sanitized, popular, social science class view of history. No concentration camps? Tell that to Mr. Sulu and hundreds of thousands of other US citizens. US troops did not massacre whole villages? What about My Lai? Or Cam Ne? The media were very compliant and highly censored during World War II, so atrocities could more easily be covered up. Or again, maybe there was a different standard when the adversary is Asian, not European.

(7) The Germans did it first. Did that work when you said something like that to your mother at age eight? Two wrongs make a right. Just confirms that Churchill was not morally superior to Hitler, just not so crazy. Churchill is the guy who put armaments on commercial ships (in violation of the Geneva) convention to provoke the Germans into sinking passenger ships like the Lusitania to get the US into World War I. He also left 30,000 Canadians stranded on the beach at Dunkirk to be captured or slaughtered because he tought Canadian casualties would get more attention in the US and help bring the US into that war. He allowed Coventry to be bombed, even though he knew German planes were headed there because he was more concerned about the Germans thinking maybe the Brits had broken their code. And that's just off the top of my head. Winnie was smart enough immediately to write the history of the war so he looked good.

(8) Ultra-liberal media? Gee, where's that? I love to find some. All I ever hear are right-wing rants or ever-so-balanced he said/she said false equivalency news stories. How come you right-wingers can't use the word "liberal" without the word "ultra" in front of it. Don't you know any regular liberals? Besides, non-tea party, non-religious right and non-Ditto head people are different from you all. We are more skeptical. We don't trust self-designated "authorities." We fall back on logic and data. We are skeptical. We go to the trouble of thinking things out for ourselves. We don't just parrot what preachers and talk show hosts feed us.

Last edited:
Would the "ultra-liberal media" include the thousands of newspapers, news magazines, radio stations and tv stations that assailed President Bush in 2008 for adding $4 trillion to the national debt but gave little notice a few days ago to a Treasury Department report noting that President Obama has added seven[ trillion dollars to the national debt? This is the same Obama who, in 2008, called Bush unpatriotic and irresponsible.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/obama-635166-trillion-billion.html

Mister landtuna, I thank you for your service in Viet Nam. In a 1968 editorial, CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite said that the conflict was unwinnable for the United States. President Johnson allegedly said, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America." Johnson did not run for re-election. A high-school classmate of mine died in that conflict. He was one of around 58,000 Americans who died in Viet Nam, 1965-72. As for the "logic" you mentioned, ain't it amazing that the logical reasons for entering the Viet Nam conflict in the 1960s didn't seem very logical in the 1970s?

I don't think I've had anybody name a thread after me. I'm flattered.

Don't be. Although some of your posts are both accurate and interesting you are virtually out of bounds on this one. I had little choice.

(1) I am aware of the historical antecedents, "reasons" or "rationalizations" the US got involved in Viet Nam. Your listing of them sounds like you agree with me. But the real reason for the war is like the reason some kid does something dangerously stupid at recess. He's more afraid of being called "chicken" than of breaking his neck. And Democrats, then and now, fear right-wing demagogs like Nixon, McCarthy and Wallace saying they aren't tough enough.

Except in this case it was a Republican that began the involvement that eventually led to full out military and political intervention. And it was a Democrat that created a doctrine that convinced the incumbent to become involved. There is no significant difference between our political parties, then or now. They are both collections of foolish idiots and we should not trust either one.

(2) And don't call it a "war." It's only a war when congress declares war and they haven't had the ballz to do that since December, 1941.

It is what it was, and that was a war. Congress passed the infamous Gulf of Tonkin Resolution which was a tacit declaration.

(3) Can't tell friends from enemies in an Asian conflict. Does this mean you can in a European conflict? Sounds like "they all look alike to me."

The NVA were the only uniformed enemy soldiers. The Viet Cong dressed in the same manner as the majority of Vietnamese civilians hence, you could not tell them apart.

(4) Yes, "support the troops" in practical does mean support for the reasons they are fighting and implicit for the fighting itself. It mutes criticism of sending troops - and sending even more troops - until it's too late. It inhibits people from marching and protesting and the media from investigating and offering anti-war views.

We will not agree on this point.

(5) People who go into combat with "little choice" is the definition of "slave armies."

You do not understand the meaning of "slave". While military personnel the world over are required to adhere to a specific discipline and are required to obey orders they may not believe in they still have personal rights (in most military organizations). A slave has no rights, military or otherwise.

(6) I see. Your idea of first class idiot is one who does not parrot the sanitized, popular, social science class view of history. No concentration camps? Tell that to Mr. Sulu and hundreds of thousands of other US citizens. US troops did not massacre whole villages? What about My Lai? Or Cam Ne? The media were very compliant and highly censored during World War II, so atrocities could more easily be covered up. Or again, maybe there was a different standard when the adversary is Asian, not European.

Your attempt to define the American internment camps as a form of German concentration camps is a laugher. Although it was a terrible program and should never have happened there was no significant mistreatment inside the camps and the interned were not starved, worked to death or gassed.

And as I stated before there were individual illegal acts from the American military. The difference is their number, their magnitude and the fact that these incidents were not the policy of our military or civilian leadership while they were policy of both German and Japanese armies.

(7) The Germans did it first. Did that work when you said something like that to your mother at age eight? Two wrongs make a right. Just confirms that Churchill was not morally superior to Hitler, just not so crazy. Churchill is the guy who put armaments on commercial ships (in violation of the Geneva) convention to provoke the Germans into sinking passenger ships like the Lusitania to get the US into World War I. He also left 30,000 Canadians stranded on the beach at Dunkirk to be captured or slaughtered because he tought Canadian casualties would get more attention in the US and help bring the US into that war. He allowed Coventry to be bombed, even though he knew German planes were headed there because he was more concerned about the Germans thinking maybe the Brits had broken their code. And that's just off the top of my head. Winnie was smart enough immediately to write the history of the war so he looked good.

I admit that Churchill was infinitely more intelligent than Hitler and he did use every means at his disposal to save his country. However, he was not personally responsible for the sinking of the Lusitania. http://www.rmslusitania.info/controversies/conspiracy-or-foul-up/ provides many reasons why.

To accuse Churchill of the disaster at Dunkirk fails in every respect. The Germans had overrun both the French (who had the largest army in the world at that time) and the BEF (which consisted of both British and Canadian units) with very rapid speed surprising everyone. There is no evidence whatever that Churchill singled out the Canadian units to remain on the beaches while the British army was evacuated. In fact, virtually the entire force was rescued and returned to Britain.

While there is every indication in his writings that Churchill wanted the USA to enter the war on their side there is no evidence that he took significant action to put Allied assets at risk to try to draw the Americans in. In fact, it was the British who would forward a significant war warning prior to Pearl Harbor. As for putting the Lusitania at risk, she was a British flag ship, not a neutral, and the insignificant number of Americans aboard was not likely to draw enough rage in the event of a sinking. It just makes no sense. Coventry was a well-known British industrial city and source of aircraft manufacturing. It was a natural target for the Germans - even though they ended up bombing more civilians than military targets.

(8) Ultra-liberal media? Gee, where's that? I love to find some. All I ever hear are right-wing rants or ever-so-balanced he said/she said false equivalency news stories. How come you right-wingers can't use the word "liberal" without the word "ultra" in front of it. Don't you know any regular liberals? Besides, non-tea party, non-religious right and non-Ditto head people are different from you all. We are more skeptical. We don't trust self-designated "authorities." We fall back on logic and data. We are skeptical. We go to the trouble of thinking things out for ourselves. We don't just parrot what preachers and talk show hosts feed us.

I am not a "right-winger" nor do I listen to preachers, religious or otherwise, or any form of talk radio. I do however read books, history books. From every viewpoint and every angle without regard to the author's political stance. As a result I don't tend to see the plethora of conspiracies you seem to and which is significantly coloring your historical perspective.

Tuna: You claim a Republican administration started the Viet Nam "war." And that makes it better???

US concentration camps weren't as bad? So, the US differs in degree, not in kind.

US troops didn't commit as many atrocities? Tell that to the Indians.

Yes, Churchill did leave Canadian troops stranded at Dunkirk. When this came out after its term of secrecy under Britain's Official Secrets Acts ended, it was big news in Canada. The "ultra-liberal" media you think I watch is and was the CBC. They were telling the truth about Viet Nam when Uncle Walter and company were still cheer-leading. But Winnie was wrong about one thing. The fate of Canadian forces in Dunkirk did not get much attention, notice or sympathy for the allies in the US, at the time or later. He didn't cause the disaster at Dunkirk. He got British forces out. He just decided to leave the Canadians there. Just because you don't know, does not mean "no evidence."

And you may not want to believe he cynically left Coventry undefended but he did. It was a logical target but that wasn't good enough. He knew the Germans were coming because the Brits had broken their code. They had gotten hold of a German code machine, which inspired the one captured by James Bond in "From Russia, With Love." Winnie didn't want the Krauts to knew he was reading their email.

And conscripts are slaves. Slaves can run away and risk getting hunted down and killed. But some of them make it and you consider that "choice?" Same with draftees.

Tuna: You claim a Republican administration started the Viet Nam "war." And that makes it better???

I claimed Truman created the doctrine that made "creeping Communism" a national bogyman. I also claimed that Eisenhower took over from the French after their 1954 defeat at Dien Bien Phu and set the stage for the Vietnam War in which the USA became fully involved. It isn't difficult to connect the pieces.

US concentration camps weren't as bad? So, the US differs in degree, not in kind.

Except that the internment camps were not concentration camps. Their similarities ended with the barbed wire.

US troops didn't commit as many atrocities? Tell that to the Indians.

We are not talking about the 19th Century. The topic concerned WWII. But if you wish to expand the discussion perhaps you can enlighten us on the atrocities committed by Indians not only upon US troops but upon each other as well.

Yes, Churchill did leave Canadian troops stranded at Dunkirk.

Because Canadian troops were part and parcel of the BEF I can find no tallies of Canadian soldiers deserted in the evacuation of Dunkirk. What is apparent however is the chaos that was the evacuation. It is very illogical to assume Churchill would assign any specific unit to remain for death or capture and even more unlikely that such an order could be carried out in the face of German attacks on the port and beaches. If you have such information I would very much like a citation. Otherwise I will consider it just hearsay.

And you may not want to believe he cynically left Coventry undefended but he did. It was a logical target but that wasn't good enough. He knew the Germans were coming because the Brits had broken their code. They had gotten hold of a German code machine, which inspired the one captured by James Bond in "From Russia, With Love." Winnie didn't want the Krauts to knew he was reading their email.

Britain didn't need the Enigma to know when the Germans were coming. They had coastal radio, radar and sonar stations that tracked flights coming over the Channel from France and knew quite well their targets. The Battle of Britain was determined much more by the resources of the RAF and not the bombing habits of the Germans (who, it turned out, departed from their attacks upon military airfields and targets and began terror bombing London to try to break the Brits).

And conscripts are slaves. Slaves can run away and risk getting hunted down and killed. But some of them make it and you consider that "choice?" Same with draftees.

American draftees, which we are discussing, have the same basic rights as everyday American citizens but are subject to military discipline and orders. They are not slaves. It is obvious you were never in the military.

Landtuna: I'm ashamed to say I was in the military. How else can I have such contempt for lifers. And for officers. I didn't think much of you mouth-breathers either who bought into it all. Or did you like it so much you stayed in for 20?

All this "thank you for your service" crap makes me laugh. Lifers aren't in it for thanks. Some are in it because they are violent people (just like cops and football players). Most are petty bureaucrats in it for "rank and prestige" and - most of - for the benies.

Are being deliberately obtuse? Yes, Winnie didn't need Enigma. He just didn't want the Krauts to think he had it. The odds of them drawing that conclusion may have been slight but he was willing to sacrifice thousands of his own people anway.

No, I'm not going to play game of finding citations for you. If you are really interested in learning something, do your own homework.

Landtuna: I'm ashamed to say I was in the military. How else can I have such contempt for lifers. And for officers. I didn't think much of you mouth-breathers either who bought into it all. Or did you like it so much you stayed in for 20?

Unlike you I am not ashamed to say I served. I would have preferred not to have spent two years in-theater in Vietnam and would have much rather sailed around the world showing the flag, as sailors did before my time, but that was my lot in life and I did my time honorably.

And I won't say I have contempt for lifers and officers but we probably share more than a little bit of contempt for both. Every chief I served under (there were 4) except one was a drunk and all but a couple of junior officers were a-holes who wore their date of commission on their foreheads. The only senior officer I respected was a Mustang. I did not want to turn out a drunk nor did I have any ambition to be an officer (I was offered the chance) so I got out as fast as I could (4 years active) and I have never regretted that decision.

Not sure why you are calling me a mouth-breather because I have never said I supported the war or the military's role in it. I did support my fellow sailors and marines though and continue to do so today. The best friends I've ever had were my fellow sailors and I'm still tight with the few that survive today.

All this "thank you for your service" crap makes me laugh. Lifers aren't in it for thanks. Some are in it because they are violent people (just like cops and football players). Most are petty bureaucrats in it for "rank and prestige" and - most of - for the benies.

I always thought most lifers stayed in because they couldn't cut it on the outside. Today's Navy might be different but that was the way it was in the 1960's. Many of the old timers then had been drafted, or enlisted, during WWII and were finishing up their 20. I never saw a lot of violent people but I sure saw a lot of useless drunks. Once someone made chief (E-7) they could pretty much lay on their ass and do nothing until they finished their hitch. Other than drink at the CPO Club, that is.

When I came back to the world in 1966 there was nobody waiting to thank me for serving. In fact, the few that knew I had been serving tended not to mention it for fear of starting arguments with the war protesters. It bothered my father, who served during WWII, much more than me. I just wanted to get on with life and put the Navy behind me. However, I don't question anyone's sincerity when I have been thanked. I believe they mean it and I appreciate they take the time to say so. But I also don't get my tail in a twist if they don't acknowledge it.

Are being deliberately obtuse? Yes, Winnie didn't need Enigma. He just didn't want the Krauts to think he had it. The odds of them drawing that conclusion may have been slight but he was willing to sacrifice thousands of his own people anway.

No, I'm not going to play game of finding citations for you. If you are really interested in learning something, do your own homework.

I didn't think you had backup for your comment. You discredit yourself once again.

Don't take this personally, Tuna, but too many times somebody on some message board has asked for links/proof/citations. And I wasted time digging it up and either there was no response or the individual just dismissed what I provided for some excuse or another. So, I decided some time ago not to play that game.

Absense of proof is not proof of absence. - Carl Sagan

Don't take this personally, Tuna, but too many times somebody on some message board has asked for links/proof/citations. And I wasted time digging it up and either there was no response or the individual just dismissed what I provided for some excuse or another. So, I decided some time ago not to play that game.

Absense of proof is not proof of absence. - Carl Sagan

Failure to back up your assertions is just that - failure. - Landtuna

The great thing about this thread is it keeps Freddie Baby busy...

Maybe it's just as well that you post nothing but petty little insults. If you actually tried to talk about something, we'd see quickly how stupid you are. Now we only see that you are petty and nasty.

Isn't it time for you to go to your NOW meeting?

I've posted a number of factual and informational posts on these forums these past couple years. With a few exceptions regarding purely technical and equipment-related matters, all anyone has seen you do is spray everyone else's ideas with hot bladder juice, of which you apparently have an unlimited supply.

Isn't it time for you to go to your Ayn Rand Society meeting?

Isn't it time for you to go to your Ayn Rand Society meeting?

Individualists don't need to join clubs out of some need for agreement. That's what second-handers do. You really don't get objectivism, do you?

And you are the last person here who should complain about the spraying of "bladder juice." Pot - kettle.

At least I attempt to add a bit of levity to these boring debates. I've said before that my comments are intended to come off as an odd sort of cross between Groucho Marx and Woody Woodpecker. Obviously no one alive takes you as seriously as you do yourself; or even could.

Objectivism - libertarian - anarchy - plank in your own eye.

(PS: Just for you, a link to the L. Ron Hubbard of political thought...http://www.aynrand.org/ Have fun.)

Last edited:
At least I attempt to add a bit of levity to these boring debates. I've said before that my comments are intended to come off as an odd sort of cross between Groucho Marx and Woody Woodpecker. Obviously no one alive takes you as seriously as you do yourself; or even could.

Objectivism - libertarian - anarchy - plank in your own eye.

(PS: Just for you, a link to the L. Ron Hubbard of political thought...http://www.aynrand.org/ Have fun.)

Obviously you don't get Groucho, or even Woody Woodpecker.

Woody was based on physical humor, which works really well on message boards.

I doubt if you "get" Groucho, Woody, or any form of humor beyond schoolyard name-calling.

The first edition of H.W. Fowler's Modern English Usage has the following definition which perfectly describes the "star" of this forum.

A prig is a believer in red tape; that is, he exalts the method above the work done. A prig, like the Pharisee, says: "God, I thank thee that I am not as other men are"—except that he substitutes Self for God. A prig expects others to square themselves to his very inadequate measuring rod, and condemns them with confidence if they do not. A prig is wise beyond his years in all things that do not matter. A prig cracks nuts with a steamhammer: that is, calls in the first principles of morality to decide whether he may, or must, do something of as little importance as drinking a glass of beer. On the whole, one may, perhaps, say that all his different characteristics come from the combination, in varying proportions, of three things—the desire to do his duty, the belief that he knows better than other people, and blindness to the difference in value between different things.

(Ha-h-ha-HAAA-ha!) :)

Jeff, you really aren't funny.

Interesting quote, though. You pretty much described yourself. You have such self-righteous indignation over untalented, small-market bimbos reading TelePrompTers thanks to affirmative action that you keep stalking me here for months.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom