• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93.3 is no more

base12

Frequent Participant
Hey guys my assistant (I actually do have one) is all upset and ready to go home because her station changed w/o any notice. William Compton must be rolling over in his grave. So much for Mother Hubbard being better than any other owners. In my opinion they are right up there with TMISU when it comes to changing history (ie. they stink). I tried to settle her down and let her know how I have to go through the same thing every Christmas but it did not help. I lose my station every Christmas. Don't radio station owners understand how they effect(and possibly even ruin) their listener's lives?

But the format change may improve the lives of many more people.
Anyways, radio is a business, not a charity.

hey guys my assistant (i actually do have one) is all upset and ready to go home because her station changed w/o any notice. William compton must be rolling over in his grave. So much for mother hubbard being better than any other owners. In my opinion they are right up there with tmisu when it comes to changing history (ie. They stink). I tried to settle her down and let her know how i have to go through the same thing every christmas but it did not help. I lose my station every christmas. Don't radio station owners understand how they effect(and possibly even ruin) their listener's lives?

remember this none of these useless radio companies give a s&^&^ about you the listener or the f^&&^&* ing hertige of a radio station. Another 40 year plus station gone!! I expect this from cheap channel but not from hubbard who i looked up to but now is another usless bull s*&&^ company!! I mean dose anybody give a s&^&*^!! That is the probem "business"!! Maybe they need to stop thinking of it as a business!! On there web site they were so proud of the heritage of kdkb 93.3 fm!! What a bunch of bulls&*&^^!!! I am so tired and pissed off of heritage stations dying!! .......radio has been dying and is dead!!

remember this none of these useless radio companies give a s&^&^ about you the listener or the f^&&^&* ing hertige of a radio station. Another 40 year plus station gone!! I expect this from cheap channel but not from hubbard who i looked up to but now is another usless bull s*&&^ company!! I mean dose anybody give a s&^&*^!! That is the probem "business"!! Maybe they need to stop thinking of it as a business!! On there web site they were so proud of the heritage of kdkb 93.3 fm!! What a bunch of bulls&*&^^!!! I am so tired and pissed off of heritage stations dying!! .......radio has been dying and is dead!!

Well said. I could not agree more!!!!!

As I mentioned over on RadioInsight, Bill Compton probably rolled over first in the early '80's when KDKB hired away the morning show and midday jock from KZZP and started playing Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun in power rotation. The top 40 experiment didn't last long and it segued to classic rock after that. It's twisted and turned so many different ways from its original freeform days that the lineage really was in name only. At least it's still some form of rock now.

Yup, you're right...this azcentral article says they'll be commercial-free through the end of the week.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2014/09/17/kdkb-changes-format-alt-az/15784971/

NOT A SOUL on this board should be surprised that the golden days of loyalty to the listener is over...but still, that doesn't make it sting any less. I feel so odd about this, like I'm really, truly getting older...like I'm letting go of a part of my past. I just drove to San Diego and back last week, and I laughed when I went through Gila Bend, thinking about Tim and Mark, and Helium Hilarity, and all the goodness that came through the radio when I listened every single morning for years.

R.I.P. KDKB xoxoxoxooxo

As I mentioned over on RadioInsight, Bill Compton probably rolled over first in the early '80's when KDKB hired away the morning show and midday jock from KZZP and started playing Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun in power rotation. The top 40 experiment didn't last long and it segued to classic rock after that. It's twisted and turned so many different ways from its original freeform days that the lineage really was in name only. At least it's still some form of rock now.

Honestly, I haven't listened for a few years, so...meh.

In addition to the top 40 experiment, KDKB
briefly branded as, and shifted to a variant of, Rock of the 80's. I'm not sure if KROQ's Rick Carroll was officially consulting.

Also: I spent an interesting phone call with the PD (either Jon Sinton or Jeff Sattler at the time),
discussing the reasons Astrud Gilberto's "Girl from Ipanema" and a few other MOR staples had just been added. It was a 'spice' category, obviously!

It was corporate's way of passive-aggressively tubing the heritage format, in the honest opinion of that programmer, who was in the process of leaving the station.

So, there were various format debacles on the way to classic rock, Sandusky being apparently clueless.

The title of this thread is misleading. 93.3 is very much still broadcasting, hence, still with us. Hubbard made a good choice. However, letting employees go due to a shift in music direction is questionable. A+ for format shift... F- for firing good people for no real reason.

Hey guys my assistant (I actually do have one) is all upset and ready to go home because her station changed w/o any notice. William Compton must be rolling over in his grave. So much for Mother Hubbard being better than any other owners. In my opinion they are right up there with TMISU when it comes to changing history (ie. they stink). I tried to settle her down and let her know how I have to go through the same thing every Christmas but it did not help. I lose my station every Christmas. Don't radio station owners understand how they effect(and possibly even ruin) their listener's lives?

This is EXCELLENT NEWS - finally, some good news after KTAR's smoke & mirrors charade a couple weeks ago - and practically Christmas a few months earlier for those of us who miss KUKQ (the 1060AM one, not the online one) and KSTM. Same as Bonneville? Not quite - they literally end their broadcast day at 7pm. At least these guys seem to be, at least to this casual observer, trying to copy their neighbors on the dial at 93.9. If radio station owners understood how they effect their listeners lives, KTAR would still be a "talk radio" station that takes on-air listener calls like they used to be instead of The Screeching Kari Monologues. So, please - enough the melodrama. This is EXCELLENT news - bravo to KDKB-!

Well, that just opened up another pre-set on the vehicles' radios which, at this point, has nothing to fill it.
Oddly enough, I did discover 95.1 recently for those days when I'm in an early-70's Seals & Crofts sort of mood....hahaLOL

I can see why KDKB may have been viewed by the corporate owners as expendable. I believe the age and gender of the audience is almost the same as co-owned KSLX and that's where most of the audience will likely wind up. I can see where Hubbard would want to keep its two highest-rated Rock stations, KSLX #5 and KUPD #8.

And I can see why Hubbard would want to launch a younger-skewing Rock station, making 93.3 Alternative. I still wonder why, in a city the size of Phoenix, with lots of college-aged and young adult men, did KEXX give up the Alternative format? I suppose that was a void that someone was bound to fill, just as Clear Channel filled the void left when Bonneville flipped The Peak 98.7 KPKX to Sports KMVP-FM. So Clear Channel (now iHeart) changed 95.5 KYOT to, not The Peak, but The Mountain.

Yuck. KDKB, even though I never lived in AZ, was well known in Phoenix for decades. RIP to yet another heritage station. There are only a select few radio stations I will even touch nowadays - any Adult Hits stations (Jack/Bob/Sam), NPR (mainly for some of the news shows and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me) and the few Soft AC/Smooth Jazz/Classic Country ones left. Everything else sounds the same boring s----y playlist and satellite Hollywood/New York personalities, morning zoo personalities who love talking about juicy gossip (yuck) and burping (double yuck) and 25 minutes of commercials every hour.
BTW the new 95.1 The Oasis is not bad for a Soft AC. 99.9 should be this way as well! Enough crappy Katy Perry, Bruno Mars and Avicii.

-crainbebo

I still wonder why, in a city the size of Phoenix, with lots of college-aged and young adult men, did KEXX give up the Alternative format?

Because KEXX is not a South Mountain stick, and doesn't cover the whole market from the far-eastern end of Queen Creek. KDKB is and does.

I moved down to PHX about six weeks ago ... I've been twisting the dial looking for anything to listen to without any luck. I liked 93.3 okay, but like it better now after the change. Of course, I'm in their demo (male, 31). They do need to tighten-up the production. I heard a commercial end and they went right into Nirvana yesterday. It was pretty jarring without any imaging in between

I moved down to PHX about six weeks ago ... I've been twisting the dial looking for anything to listen to without any luck. I liked 93.3 okay, but like it better now after the change. Of course, I'm in their demo (male, 31). They do need to tighten-up the production. I heard a commercial end and they went right into Nirvana yesterday. It was pretty jarring without any imaging in between

You may want to try 93.9 if you're in the PHX area. It's pretty difficult to miss if you're scanning the dial. And irony of ironies, 93.9 is sponsoring the local stages at the music festival being plugged at every commercial break on the new KDKB...too funny.

So where the hell am I going to get my fix of Dee Snider's "House of Hair," especially driving home from the occasional star party (an event usually away from city lights where people set up telescopes to look at the sky)?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom