• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dancing With The Stars playing 60s songs

PirateJohnny

Leading Participant
Don't they know that nobody that advertisers want to reach wants to hear 60s songs? People who listened to 60s songs in high school are in their 60s and 70s now, way past the advertising target demos.

Or does that only apply to listening to them on the radio?

Don't they know that nobody that advertisers want to reach wants to hear 60s songs? People who listened to 60s songs in high school are in their 60s and 70s now, way past the advertising target demos.

Given that the average network TV viewer is in his/her early to mid 50s, any advertiser there can't avoid reaching people in their 60s and 70s. The advertisers seem to be more willing to live with that than those on radio are, probably because TV generates so much family viewing that the significance of the age of the head of household (to whom the Nielsen meter is assigned) is less of a factor. That's just an assumption from an outsider. Perhaps the ever present Mr. Eduardo will stumble upon this thread and enlighten us some more.

That doesn't apply on TV or on the radio, except to narrow minded suits who cannot think for themselves, but instead only parrot back "conventional wisdom" without question that it stopped being relevant or accurate decades ago.

Given that the average network TV viewer is in his/her early to mid 50s, any advertiser there can't avoid reaching people in their 60s and 70s. The advertisers seem to be more willing to live with that than those on radio are, probably because TV generates so much family viewing that the significance of the age of the head of household (to whom the Nielsen meter is assigned) is less of a factor. That's just an assumption from an outsider. Perhaps the ever present Mr. Eduardo will stumble upon this thread and enlighten us some more.

Yet the demographic that determines show renewal is 18-49, even younger than radio.

To TV advertisers it does not matter how much of an audience over 50 a show has. What matters is how many there are in 18-49.

The households in the Nielsen metered markets represent a miniature mirror image of the market as a whole. So if the market is xx% 50 and over, the metered panel will have xx% 50 and over members. But advertisers don't look at the total viewership... they look at the age range each of their clients wants.

Radio measures listening in the same manner, via a proportional panel which reflects the market as a whole. And, again, the listers over 50 or over 55 are pretty much ignored by most advertisers, no matter how numerous they are.

That doesn't apply on TV or on the radio, except to narrow minded suits who cannot think for themselves, but instead only parrot back "conventional wisdom" without question that it stopped being relevant or accurate decades ago.

There is no such thing as "conventional wisdom" as audience tastes are constantly changing. Were it not so, we'd be watching a hologram of Ed Sullivan presenting magicians and crooners to this day.

The facts, based on actual consulting with listeners, is that very few of them want music that predates their adolescence and even fewer of them want songs of radically different styles on a single station.

When you do one-on-ones with individual listeners, you will find that they reject the combination of really different genres. The common response is, "I know where to get each kind of music. When I am in the mood for one, I usually don't want to hear the other."

People don't watch "Dancing" for the music per se. They watch for the spectacle, the show, the glitter, the dancing, the wardrobes.

The show plays everything from Strauss waltzes to Argentine tangos to Cuban cha cha chas. The fun is in seeing today's dancers perform to a wide variety of songs and rhythms.

Since I have NEVER heard any ORIGINAL music on DWTS, I am having to assume that that is also the case for this season. Therefore, they would NOT be playing '60s music, but rather, lame cover versions of '60s music. Yeah, royalties, I know, but I still won't watch. (I see enough footage from it on OTHER shows!) As long as they don't use ORIGINAL music, I won't watch.

But then again, the name of the show is DANCING with the Stars (emphasis mine), so I know that this is NOT really a show about music. So no harm, no foul.

Still, I question who the "stars" are on this show. Most of them are out-of-work B-list actors, or reality-TV celebs trying to extend their 15 minutes of "fame."

Playing super-hit songs that have stood the test of time, and therefore most people from many eras are familiar with, on a show like DWTS is a good idea, imo.

My idea of "Dancing With the Stars" is meeting fellow astronomers with telescopes away from the city lights.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom