• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wwjz--640

They are on, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they have been running on night power since Disney announced the sale. They have been barely receivable here in Lansdale during the day during the past few weeks when they are supposed to be running 50KW - which normally barrels into here. Trying to save money, I would presume.

Rene, you can tell us. Is Salem interested in 640? Inquiring minds want to know.

640 was for sale years ago & disney bought it. Were there any other bidders back then?
there may not be any bidders now.

I thought 640 had applied or had permission to move the towers to a site
northwest of Phillly & be 50,000 watts day & 25,000 wattts night.
Could a new owner of 640 make a move like that ?

I don't think Salem is interested in this station. Salem already has two of the five best AM signals in Philadelphia (570, 610, 990, 1060 and 1210). 640 as mentioned above is 50,000 watts by day, but it's 1000 watt nighttime signal can't be heard in most of Philadelphia at night.

As for a nighttime signal upgrade, that may take years, both to buy the land for the towers (if it's available) and to raise the funds to pay for it. The new towers would have to be northwest of Philly so the nighttime signal would be pointed away from WHLO Akron, WNNZ Westfield, Mass. and the one-time clear channel KFI Los Angeles, the three other 640 stations that come to mind.

My guess is other religious or ethnic broadcasters will buy most of the Disney stations. But unlike Salem, I think non-commercial, listener-supported operations will be the bidders. I'd keep my eye on Catholic broadcasters. Relevant Radio has been buying a number of signals in the East and Midwest, including 1430 in Newark-NYC. And Immaculate Heart has been buying stations in the West, including 930 in Los Angeles.

Last edited:
is 640 going silent thurday at midnight or friday at midnight ?

Standards Monday Morning 9/29/14 at 12:01AM. Just got the word you can bet the farm on it....

WWJZ was standards before Disney as was WQEW. If they go that route I would hope they would get back to 50,000 watts daytime again. What a signal they have! What is your source? I would love it, but it seems unlikely.

Salem's music network is not represented in this market, although on AM it might have a difficult time going up against 106.9 with a music format.

If I had a farm, I'd bet on brokered or "the sounds of silence."

If I had a farm, I'd be out in Colorado, where the signals, like the cattle, roam free.

Does anyone have an idea of how much this station might go for? $$$$ AM is dying as we speak I don't think they will get a lot of good offers.

Are Lloyd Roach, Sally Hawkins and Julius May planning to enter bids?

@ SP 447 ....

A poster to another forum who's very 'in the know' about such matters says that the ball park figure for the NYC Disney station WQEW would be between 15 and 17 million.
WWJZ obviously would be less than that.

@ Benale .....
Yes; of course you're correct about 640 and 1560 being Standards before turning into Mickey Mouse operations. Those are big signals.
Thing is, another one, 990 Orlando, which has to be considered with 1560 and 640 as the biggest daytime Disney signals on the east coast, ALSO had been standards, as WHOO, before changing to Disney.

Kind of weird, in a futility-exercise way.
Three blowtorch signals, formerly programming to a demo that couldn't be 'sold' but which had money, changing to a demo that neither had money nor listened.

Scrooge McDuck is building a surrogate money bin to house the money he acquires from selling the copper radials at all of those directional sites. And (as I suggested elsewhere) the Beagle Boys, formerly his nemeses, might come aboard to torch a few of the other directional miscalculations.

Also remember 640 in Toronto, CFMJ(Mojo 640). They may be the main reason for the drop to 950 watts at night. WWJZ has the same pattern at all times; it just drops power at night.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom