• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alt 99.9

billalm

Leading Participant
103.5 HD2 drops "Sunny" and is running "ALT 99.9" with imaging. Not catching a legal ID and I can't tell if the 99.9 signal is actually on the air or not.

Not sure 99.9 would work as a frequency...Isn't Eckerd college's WECX-CC (Part 15) using "99.9" (not to mention WXJB Homosassa)?

Anyhoo...probably just Clear Chann...er...... I Heart Media taking a swipe at Cox's 97X.

On edit...looks like they have 99.9 FM translator W207BU, Bayonet Point on that frequency. One of the old "Reach FM" translators.

Last edited:
Not only that, it would interfere adjacent sister station WZJZ 100.1 in SWFL. I heard that their wiki page had been vandalized by a CANADIAN, but I was the one that fixed it.

99.9 is a legal upgrade of a translator. I don't think Eckerd's part 15 has any jurisdiction over the frequency. Besides, it's pretty far South from where 99.9 would be receivable anyway. I was thinking the same thing as far as format, just a swipe at 97X (broadcasting from the same tower) much like they do with the Thunder translators... trying to take a bite of the Eagle's pie with a commercial free approach from iHeart.

http://www.radio-locator.com/info/W207BU-FX

Not getting anything on 99.9 here in Mid-Pinellas. (103.5 HD2 comes in nicely though).

With that signal contour, doubt it will have any measurable effect (other than a furrowed brow or two over at Cox Media). Unless a future move is in the works.....

I'm sure 99.9 in Pasco is destined to be part three of the CC Classic rock 105.9, 94.5........and 99.9

fun, fun fun....

I actually put that Eckerd College station on FM waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy back in the 90's. Standard "leaky cable" install and have not been there since. Good lord knows what they have now.

Just heard a legal ID on the HD2 (played over the Alt 99.9 imaging...guess they're getting the bugs out). "W207BU-CP Bayonet Point". Still no signal on 99.9 FM, though, (as far as I can tell).

99.9 is a legal upgrade of a translator. I don't think Eckerd's part 15 has any jurisdiction over the frequency. Besides, it's pretty far South from where 99.9 would be receivable anyway. I was thinking the same thing as far as format, just a swipe at 97X (broadcasting from the same tower) much like they do with the Thunder translators... trying to take a bite of the Eagle's pie with a commercial free approach from iHeart.

http://www.radio-locator.com/info/W207BU-FX

Talk about a swipe at WSUN...now Alt 99.9 is even using the same slogan ("Your New Alternative").

Just heard a legal ID on the HD2 (played over the Alt 99.9 imaging...guess they're getting the bugs out). "W207BU-CP Bayonet Point". Still no signal on 99.9 FM, though, (as far as I can tell).

Listening a bit more closely...they are actually IDing as "W202CB-Bayonet Point" (not W207BU). That's the 99.1 translator, slated to move to the Holiday tower.

Last edited:
I'm finding this all a bit odd. I noticed recently that the RDS info on 100.7 HD2 identifies as Thunder 99.1 between songs even though that signal isn't on yet either. That leads me to believe they're gonna add THAT signal to the two Thunders on 94.5 and 105.9. As for the RDS info on 103.5 HD2, it's still identifying it as "Thunder 103.5 HD2". Isn't that a simple fix? But the question remains.... why all the confusion between the RDS info, the legal IDs, and imaging. You'd think they'd get all their ducks in a row and things technically in order before running it live over the air. The IDs are still overlapping and some songs are skipping to the end resulting in 2-3 minutes of dead air. Then again... who's listening besides us?

I'm finding this all a bit odd. I noticed recently that the RDS info on 100.7 HD2 identifies as Thunder 99.1 between songs even though that signal isn't on yet either. That leads me to believe they're gonna add THAT signal to the two Thunders on 94.5 and 105.9. As for the RDS info on 103.5 HD2, it's still identifying it as "Thunder 103.5 HD2". Isn't that a simple fix? But the question remains.... why all the confusion between the RDS info, the legal IDs, and imaging. You'd think they'd get all their ducks in a row and things technically in order before running it live over the air. The IDs are still overlapping and some songs are skipping to the end resulting in 2-3 minutes of dead air. Then again... who's listening besides us?

I noticed the song skip issue on Mumford And Sons "Little Lion Man", The Atari's "Boys Of Summer", and Muse "Time Is Running Out" (2 times). The last WFUS HD2 ID I caught did not overlap, though. Since "Bayonet Point" is still mentioned, I'd guess that W202CB hasn't been moved to Holiday yet. Looks like 99.9 is staying put in Bayonet Point.

Another question...are they doing anything with the old 92.1 Wesley Chapel? Looks like they have a new CP to move it from 92.1 to 102.9, and relocate it to the east side of the Gandy. (Low on the tower, at 200 Watts).

http://radio-locator.com/info/W221CE-FX

Could this be a second translator for "Alt 99-9?". Would get the signal to the city of Tampa and some of South Pinellas.

Last edited:
The 99.9 translator is currently live with "Alt 99.9" (9/22, 1:30pm). Super weak signal in mid-Pinellas (naturally). The RDS Info has changed on 103.5 HD2 as well. "99.9 ALT/Commercial Free ALT". Seems like they are testing...(was off for a minute, then back on).

Last edited:
I noticed the 99.1 translator was on as well. Like you said, not even listenable in St. Petersburg.

Not getting anything on 99.1 here...are they relaying Thunder as expected?

On 99.9, I can get a clean-ish signal on my GE Superradio II (and with a lot of futzing) my Directed HD Table radio. Certainly too much effort for the average listener...especially with a format duplicated elsewhere in the market. (WSUN's signal is enough of a chore on it's own).

Of course, they may not be on with full power (modest as it is) yet.

Yep, I heard Thunder on 99.1. I was in my vehicle in NE St. Pete. As you stated, both signals were weak and unlistenable, but it was indeed there as I compared it to the other Thunder frequencies. The signals are obviously useful for those in Northern Tampa Bay.

Hearing Alt 99-9 in North Sarasota

Reception is quite bad of course, but Alt 99.9 is making it to North Sarasota this morning. They had a decent signal yesterday coming off the Skyway into South St. Pete; I initially thought I had Eckerd College, but the station only grew a little stronger as I made my way home to around 54th Ave North/I-275.

Thunder is now ID'ing the new translator as New Port Richey in the TOH ID's that include the translator mentions.

Byron

Caught the 99.1 translator in the car today. 99.9 is certainly an easier catch in mid-Pinellas (due to it's more directional pattern to the south). No reason for 99.1 to reach this area though, as 94.5 covers much of the county nicely.

I suspect if the response to Alt 99-9 is positive, we'll either see the transmitter move south towards Pinellas, or one of IHeart's other translators fire up to augment the signal (they certainly have plenty of 'em at their disposal). Let's see, there's 93.7, 96.7, 102.9, or they could even flip WDAE's 95.3 translator (which would be the quickest, as it already covers St. Petersburg well). Add say, The Beat's 93.7 Riverview translator and you've got the metro mostly covered (save the Pinellas beaches).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom