• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bad Company names

Is it just me, or is the 'IHeartRadio' and now 'IHeartMedia' The worst company name ever created?

Right up there with the weird to say XFinity....

It sounds like something a 4 year old came up with...

Interesting you use Xfinity as an example. It's a perfect comparison. A company changing names to hide their previous bad reputation. Clear Channel isn't as bad as some here make it out to be, but its value as a brand is rubbish.

And the bad reputation continues as Xfinity, its no different then Comcast, check that maybe its worse.

Last edited:
No matter, in keeping with the trend of acronymizing corporate names, it won't be long before iHeartMedia becomes "iHM."

Here's the press release: http://www.iheartmedia.com/Pages/Press.aspx

According to it, "'iHeartMedia reflects our commitment to being the media company that provides the most entertainment to the most engaged audiences wherever they go, with more content and more events in more places on more devices,' said Bob Pittman, Chairman and CEO of iHeartMedia, Inc."

Really? Sounds like more BS to me.

Sounds like a great name if they're looking to appeal to teenagers who "heart forever" the guy who asked them to homecoming last week, but to be taken seriously as a company name?

Sounds like a great name if they're looking to appeal to teenagers who "heart forever" the guy who asked them to homecoming last week, but to be taken seriously as a company name?

that's the first thought I had when I heard it a year or so ago. I love Radio would have been a LITTLE better, but not by much. just goes to show how stupid executives are..

Obviously, the old CC tried to cover all aberrations of the new name. www.ifartmedia.com is already taken, for example.

But quick, go online. www.isuckmedia.com is not taken... yet.

Banged my head against the desk laughing on this one, David!!! Had not thought of iHeart!!

However, the use of i as a single designation must put it all on Pittman's shoulders...otherwise, it should have been weheart or Quiheart for the French (and those who remember the "sister" publication from Playboy!)

Problem with the entire company is not the folks working at the stations or clusters..its upper level and corporate management.....(RVPs and up). Most of the Market Managers are ok...(most not all!)..the ones still working at 'employee' level are on edge a lot.....worried when the next round of layoffs is coming around...

CBS Radio used to be called Infinity Radio. So its same as Xfinity.

Infinity was a separate company from 1972.....merged with CBS in 1997 and became part of Viacom in 2000..when CBS and Viacom split in 2005, Infinity changed its name to CBS Radio.....at least its still CBS Radio...No NBC Radio or ABC Radio...(and I was a ABC RN employee in the late 90s..still have my blue ABC employee card! They never asked for it back :) I miss the legacy radio networks :( )

the ones still working at 'employee' level are on edge a lot.....worried when the next round of layoffs is coming around...

They should aim their focus more on remaining relevant and doing all they can to reposition themselves for the changes taking place in the industry. That sounds ominous, but it's not. If all you can do is shoe horses, and the automobile is becoming popular, it might be time to learn how to change tires.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom