• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week - 1010 kHz

What can you all get on 1010 AM?

Here in Vermilion, OH during the day it's a fairly clear CFRB/Toronto, ON and at night a mix of CFRB and WINS/New York, NY

Far northwest suburbs of Chicago....

Days: Splatter from local 1000 WMVP.

Night: WMVP splatter becomes almost a non-issue when WMVP goes to night pattern. 1010 at night isn't exactly vacant around here, but it is more quiet than most other channels. CFRB is the most likely station to rise to the top, but it's semi-regular at best. Sometimes WINS sneaks in. KXEN from the St. Louis area used to occasionally turn up around sunset, but its been quite a while since I've heard them.

Fairly quiet frequency around Columbus, Ohio ... well, in some respects. WMVP splatter spills over many nights, as does IBOC from KDKA if the signal is strong. As for what's actually on the frequency, WINS and Toronto fight it out. Both are quite weak, as I recall.

Nothing on 1010 around here in the daytime. At nighttime, it's often either a hash or relatively quiet, but CFRB Toronto and CBR Calgary show up most often. CFRB used to be a regular in the 80s and 90s, but not there as often these days. I think I've heard KXEN from St. Louis before also. I don't recall if I've ever heard WINS from here, but I don't think so.

KSIR from Brush, CO, used to come booming in at night for a couple of years ago, making me wonder if there were any shenanigans going on with their power. Maybe so -- they're currently licensed at 25kW days and 280 watts nights. I think they may have formerly been at 10kW days and 5kW at night; 5kW might have been enough to make it to eastern Iowa at night. Haven't heard them anytime recently.

Last edited:
In East Tennessee, it's WKJW (simulcast with WKJV-1380), Black Mountain NC). Format is religious emphasizing the King James Bible.

In Dayton, Ohio, a tossup between a weak WCSI, Columbus IN or WIOI, New Boston OH

In the near north Chicago suburbs it's WMVP splatter during the day. At night it's usually CFRB with WINS sneaking through weak once in a great while. I have never heard KXEN here.

Daytime, just KOMO 1000 splash.

Night time I hear CBR, Calgary -- sometimes very strong. If I turn the radio N-S I'll get KOMO splash and often KCHJ Delano, CA, which plays norteño.

I've logged KXPS, Thousand Palms CA once; WINS once (on a TRF -- 1980's), and XEHL Guadalajara once (on a boombox and 3 ft. spiral loop in the late 80's).

Night time I hear CBR, Calgary -- sometimes very strong. If I turn the radio N-S I'll get KOMO splash and often KCHJ Delano, CA, which plays norteño.

I've logged KXPS, Thousand Palms CA once; WINS once (on a TRF -- 1980's), and XEHL Guadalajara once (on a boombox and 3 ft. spiral loop in the late 80's).

WOW--WINS is one hell of a catch in the Northwest.

Seems like we've done this frequency before.

Days - It's good old 330 watt, WCSI in Columbus, Indiana. Weak.
Nights - CFRB is usually on top, with WINS far behind.
Sunset - WTZA (when it was WGUN) from Atlanta.

When I first moved here to PA, the weak but steady daytimer was from Williamsport PA. It went away, then on came WTGC (?) in Lewistown PA; different facilities altogether. I forget the calls of the 1010 Williamsport.

WINS often can be a daytime visitor. That's odd, because their pattern shows a lot of their juice aimed east and southeast. Ha -- maybe WINS bought out that Williamsport station the way they bought out the Hackettstown NJ station on 1000.

Nighttimes loggings have had usually WINS atop, and CFBR second.

On what probably was a form of Mid-Winter Anomaly, WCNL from New Hampshire came in here nicely on the Grundig S450, 3:30 PM, not quite a year ago. It might have been dark in New Hampshire, but it wasn't dark here, though, even within a day or so of the solstice.

Off-topic some, mea culpa, but like WINS : WWRL 1600 is another 'dependable' nighttime catch here. The patterns of the two stations are * somewhat * similar, too. Perhaps the local mountains (or maybe the soil conductivity of the Finger Lakes vineyard fields :- ) stymies CFRB and CHUM from coming in better.

On my road trip last month, I found that CBR had a rather impressive nighttime signal at my various stops around the Pacific Northwest.

Also, boombox,....I have to agree that WINS in your part of the world is an awesome catch. It's far from reliable here in the Chicago area.

RE: WINS: Hearing WINS was just a fluke -- I had my radio pointed in the right direction (the antenna on a TRF is pretty good and directional), and the station faded up at the right time. Up and then gone. I may also have heard it (either definite or tentative) a year or so later on a comm receiver with a longwire but it's been so long I just don't remember, and I don't know where my logbooks went.

It happens sometimes. Last night WWL faded up on top of 870 during the TOH with an ID (with a PRD5 and a loop). Then for the next hour or so it just stayed way in back of KFLD Tri-Cities.

RE: WINS: Hearing WINS was just a fluke -- I had my radio pointed in the right direction (the antenna on a TRF is pretty good and directional), and the station faded up at the right time. Up and then gone. I may also have heard it (either definite or tentative) a year or so later on a comm receiver with a longwire but it's been so long I just don't remember, and I don't know where my logbooks went.

It happens sometimes. Last night WWL faded up on top of 870 during the TOH with an ID (with a PRD5 and a loop). Then for the next hour or so it just stayed way in back of KFLD Tri-Cities.

Yeah but WWL does send some signal in your direction whereas WINS sends very very little.

Yeah but WWL does send some signal in your direction whereas WINS sends very very little.

Which was part of my point. I probably hear WWL 3-4 times a year. Possibly more, but unidentifable. WINS was a fluke DX reception, once in 30 years of DXing -- and such flukes do happen. A station fades up and poof, it's gone. And back then I believe there were less stations on 1010.

In Houston it is local Univision 1010 KLAT airing Univision America news talk and music programs in the evenings and weekends. In Bellville, KLAT is a no show, ever. All KBBW Waco with religious programming there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom