• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week - 102.1 MHz

Buckeyes2001

Star Participant
What do you all get on 102.1 FM?

Here in Vermilion, OH it's local WDOK/Cleveland with an AC format as 'New 102'. Strong tropo will cause WMUK/Kalamazoo, MI to interfere. On trips to Toledo, I get WIMT/Lima, OH mixing with WDOK

Local powerhouse WWST. I've caught it off the air briefly but nothing in its place
Dayton, OH area was mostly WIMT but I did hear WWST there once as well as WDNL

Here in Meriden, CT (between Hartford and New Haven), it's classic rocker WAQY (Rock 102), Springfield, MA.

From Gary, IN, I can occasionally get WLUM Milwaukee, when it can get past 1st adjacent splatter from 101.9 WTMX Skokie/Chicago.

Here in Columbus, Ohio, it's low-power WCRS transmitting from northeast Columbus, just off 270 and Morse Road near the Easton shopping area.
WIMT ("T 102") out of Lima can be heard as close as Dublin, however. Definitely the farthest-reaching of all the Lima stations, at least in our direction. Chad43358 and I have had some discussions about those signals on the Columbus board.

Here in Denver nothing.....101.9 Way FM & 102.3 ESPN...... sometimes you might get 102.1 out of Estes Park but that's pretty rare

102.1 was host to, by far, the best DX catch I've ever made on FM. Summer evening years ago, in the Shenandoah Valley near Staunton, VA. Scanning for XL102 from Richmond on car radio - a tough catch due to topography - found the kind of rock I was looking for, but it wasn't XL102. It was "Q102, Texas' best rock" on 102.1 out of Dallas, from 1,000 miles away. It was years later when I found this board and learned about e-skip and tropo ducting and the like.

Local Urban Contemporary KMJQ-Houston, "Majic 102-1" owned by Radio One.

In Atascadero, CA it was/is a scratchy, marginal KKRC from King City, CA, an adult-contemporary station. Decent enough on many radios to be listenable, though.

One FM frequency I never did either.

102.1 in Yakima is a strong KPQ Wenatchee, WA. Operates on Mission Ridge with 35KW and has a classic rock format. "The Quake". I've heard them everywhere, as far west as Hoodsport on the Olympic Peninsula, and used to also hear them in Seattle a lot.
In Seattle, I also used to hear KSWW Montesano (now Ocean Shores) WA with AC music. "Sunny 102.1".

Stations caught via E-Skip on this frequency. KPQ is tough to null when I am working skip, but I have heard bits of skip pulling through during big openings in Yakima. The 3 logs were all made in the Seattle area, where 102.1 is a lot more open.
KTRA Farmington, NM (7/29/2007 from Seattle WA - Country, actually my first skip catch ever. And on accident - was looking for KSWW)
KPRI San Diego, CA (7/8/2009 from Seattle WA - Adult Album Alternative, now Air 1)
KSMT Breckenridge, CO (7/18/2012 from Seattle WA - Adult Album Alternative)

-crainbebo

South of the Minnesota River (SW Burbs of Minneapolis)

KEEY 102.1 (K102) Country...local 100kw Class C station

102.1 is a translator in Charleston, that just signed on last year. W271CP, a oldies station known as The City. It has a range of about 15 miles or so from its transmitter in West Ashley.

Before it signed on, I'd get Savannah very frequently.

Northern Essex County, it's WFAN 101.9 splatter. WIOQ from Philly, often comes in from 79 miles away. Rock 102 from Springfield, MA can be heard during tropo, but it's a challenge

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom