• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Small Businesses Swarm Social Media

Radio Ink Buzz Stream

Star Participant
BIA/Kelsey has been studying the behavior of small- and medium-sized businesses and today released more data from that study, which is called "Local Commerce Monitor." The study focuses on how businesses use social media to get their message out, and BIA/Kelsey's Director of Research Steve Marshall says it's clear social media has become a pivotal platform for them. "Social media is not only number one in terms of utilization by SMBs, it is also number one in share of SMB media spending." Here are the details on what BIA/Kelsey released today...

More...

My first reaction the the topic TITLE and then to the "tease" posted above was: Are you kidding me?

Then I followed the link and read the article.

My bad! I'm just an old country-boy at heart and I still think of "small business" as being the independent merchant with a store front on a local street. Or maybe an auto repair shop on a side street or the street one block off Main Street.

I am always amazed at the political rhetoric that the majority of new jobs are created in this country by "small businesses". And then you read down through the political stories and realize that it THEIR examples, "small business" is everyone under 1,000 employees... which includes some well established high-tech companies and venture-capital start-ups that own their own jet air-craft. I grow weary of Congressmen running for re-election who go out to main street in some rural districts and brag about what they are doing for "small business" letting the audience think they are talking about the guy who hauls sand and gravel in the area and owns two dump trucks and has his 3rd truck on order.

So. This article about the use of Social Media seems to talk about companies of 100 employees or less. There are some pretty substantial law firms with less than 100 employees. You could own a two or three location exercise and fitness club operation and have less than 100 employees. You could own a Lexus dealership selling 100 cars per month and operate with 100 employees or less.

I don't see my wife's beautician using social media. I don't see my primary care doctor's practice using social media. There is a small three-store hardware retailer in my community but I don't see them using social media.

As usual, I'm looking into the telescope from the wrong end.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom