• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dave Jackson takes over as PD for B93.7 and Magic

Dave Jackson (aka Supa Dave from the afternoons on Hot 98.1) has taken the recently vacated PD position at Entercom for B93.7 and Magic. It'll be interesting to see what direction he takes the stations.

Aside from his on air duties, Dave has been the PD for X 98.5 and Chuck at Summit. As an X fan, I'm a bit worried about its future because he was a big proponent of the alternative format.

That said I think he did a great job with what little he had to work with on its poor signal so I have high hopes for what he could do at Entercom, especially with B.

B 93.7 is a basic CHR format that may just need a slight bit of tweaking, but no major overhaul. However, Magic 98.9 has become tired and stale, and that is where the most work is needed. My 102.5 sounds better. So I wonder if Magic will make the much speculated flip?

B 93.7 is a basic CHR format that may just need a slight bit of tweaking, but no major overhaul. However, Magic 98.9 has become tired and stale, and that is where the most work is needed. My 102.5 sounds better. So I wonder if Magic will make the much speculated flip?

I do think comparatively speaking B is not as good as either Charlotte CHR- Channel 96.1 or Kiss 95.1, so I still think some work could be done there.

I would be happy if Magic flipped to Variety Hits, but only time will tell.I personally think traditional AC is a tough sell these days.

Well,....first-off, is this a move from the afore praised GM...or did some Corpo-rat Suit just get tired of them looooooozing money?? Anyway, we'll just assume that he is allowed to do, on his on, and is not an Entercom Selector Monkey. Now, we will all know if he is simply told what to do each week. We'll give him a clean slate, and good dose of Prayer wouldn't hurt. So, I say it's just like the ol' Zoo Keeper says, "Sometimes you just gotta sit back, and see what the monkey will do.".
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Work cut-out for ya: You have both an AC, and a CHR,......and they are both in the Cellar!

Well,....first-off, is this a move from the afore praised GM...or did some Corpo-rat Suit just get tired of them looooooozing money??

Why do you think they are losing money? The stations are 6th and 7th in revenue in the market, and both have a power ratio of 1 or above.

Oh,....ye of new school,....Well,......Mr.Ed,.....two years ago, a new GM, allegedly, a heavy-hitter, brought-in(from Cox) to Fix something. Now, this new, alleged heavy-hitter PD, brought-in to Fix, namely two stations. They really don't just do stuff like that to....match the drapes!

Well.

Scooter knows all, since he's been unemployed in radio longer than anyone else!

Oh,....ye of new school,....Well,......Mr.Ed,.....two years ago, a new GM, allegedly, a heavy-hitter, brought-in(from Cox) to Fix something. Now, this new, alleged heavy-hitter PD, brought-in to Fix, namely two stations. They really don't just do stuff like that to....match the drapes!

You did not answer the question.

There are dozens of reasons for staff changes. They can be related to management style differences, internal issues, failure to achieve goals, personal habits, work ethic, HR issues, etc., etc.

Looking at the billing and power ratios of the two stations, I really doubt that they were losing money.

Go ahead and pick another reason. Or pick your nose. Your choice.

So, I say it's just like the ol' Zoo Keeper says, "Sometimes you just gotta sit back, and see what the monkey will do."
Seventeen years ago that's what my favorite radio station did, which answers a question I'm sure you asked.

Listeners wanted that monkey gone and the station returned to "normal".

The above poster has expressed great disapproval of the alleged PD,...in question,....even before he gets started. We believe this man to know,....from what he has heard. So,....let it be noted: One bad report, so far. I tend to agree,...and further predict two cases of Awww-ful Urban slanting, but we shall see!

They will have more competition with Ace and TJ coming to My 102.5, which is a local competitor, now that it has a full Top 40/Pop image for Hot 98.1 and B93.7, because it is owned by Clear Channel... WAIT I REMEMBERED! CLEAR CHANNEL IS NOT CLEAR CHANNEL ANYMORE IT HAS A NEW NAME! IT'S NOW IHEARTMEDIA. :) I may still call it CC or Clear Channel, but whatever, they are the same to me.

The above poster has expressed great disapproval of the alleged PD,...in question,....even before he gets started. We believe this man to know,....from what he has heard. So,....let it be noted: One bad report, so far. I tend to agree,...and further predict two cases of Awww-ful Urban slanting, but we shall see!

I wouldn't count on an urban slant. Just because Jackson was on air with Hot doesn't mean that he preferred its music or would be good at programming it (I think he actually was pretty into his X PD job).

And rumors that urban would come to Entercom Greenville when Sinicropi took over 2 years ago never came to fruition.

I think B will stick with CHR and hopefully get a consistent mix down that would compete with the Charlotte stations.

Magic is the wildcard. But it was recently spruced up with new image and newer music (within the AC format). They'll probably give Jackson a chance to turn it around and if it fails, I still wouldn't be surprised at a flip to variety hits.

Last edited:
^^ just to correct myself for being a complete idiot -- Dave was APD/PD at Hot for quite a long time before the Summit buyout. But I still wouldn't count on an urban slant.

In fact, there's been some suggestion that Clear Channel (or should I say iHeart Media) may have more interest in entering that arena.

We'll see but doubt those years at Hot (when it did do much better than it has at Summit) will affect his Entercom duties. Again, it was predicted when the Cox GM took over and never happened.

Well,...as any of us old Radio Dawgs know, and agree, without the slightest bicker,.....Radio is a business, looking for something that works, and of coarse opinions vary, if asked....what! Both AC's in the market are going to try Sydi-Mornings, and that, without question, is a cheaper route, and a bonus, if it draws any money.
Both of these teams are about to...."Have at it!". So, the first (complete) trend, will be interesting. Any Awww-ful Urban slant won't match what's being done 6-10.
Now, ROQ & The Planet....there two sad sacks.....Mr. GM, after lunch, can you help us out a little there....?

In fact, there's been some suggestion that Clear Channel (or should I say iHeart Media) may have more interest in entering that arena.

I think Clear Cha...iHeartMedia does have a station that will enter the Top 40 format someday. Ever since their possible Top 40 station, WMYI My 102.5 said that they were going to have Ace and TJ on their lineup, they may be the first and only station that covers the ENTIRE GSAA METROPOLITAN AREA! So, if you are listening to B93/WFBC or Hot 98/WHZT in Asheville, you only hear static, but if you listen to 102.5 as a Pop station, you can hear it in Asheville, so lots of tenants are there, including only 1 TV station, WYCW 62, for people that are in Asheville and want CBS on their .2 signal and can't get WSPA-TV. I am just giving you an example.

Does 102.5 still get a clear signal into Asheville? I think perhaps a year or so ago they moved their transmitter tower closer to Greenville.

Yes they still do, and I was mentioning that they may be the only Pop station (if they are ever one) to reach all of Asheville, Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, because I can hear it as far as Jefferson, GA, so their signal is pretty far. :)

It's probably rather humorous, inside the Entercom Empire,...as all that still draw, are avoiding the Brass, darting in & out of offices/studios/supply closets/the lunch nook. The GM was pulling that sleeping Godzilla act for awhile, and now Dave Jackson is loomin'-large down the halls. Making eye contact has the same nervousness, as accidentally, one too many fiber pills. Low Profile, if "No Profile",...at least until some of the dust settles. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeessh,.....you don't want to somehow start a firing binge, where your once intern is now the one cleaning the guillotine. Anyone Fat....I can't help you, but skinny guys can get behind a door. Just remember to get rid of that wooden wedge, before you dart behind it! Wooooooooooooooooosh!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom