• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WTIC paying Connoisseur to air certain New England Patriots Games?

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
Last week WTIC AM 1080 pre-empted The Tag Sale and began coverage of The New England Patriots with a pre-game at 10AM.

This week they made the following announcement on WTIC AM 1080 during their 10AM News update:

The New York Giants will be here on WTIC at Noon.

The New England Patriots Game can be heard on 96.5 HD2 and on WDRC AM 1360!

What team affiliate are they Patriots or Giants? According to Wikipedia it says WTIC 1080 is Giants. I was going to figure they were the Patriots affiliate as 1080 broadcasts the Red Sox.

I can't see why WUCS-FM 97.9 (ESPN Radio) or WPOP-AM 1410 couldn't cut a deal and air one of these games instead. Oh wait...CBS Radio dealing with Clear Channel? Nevermind! Besides, the Yankees weren't even playing until 8 PM last night.

One would think that WAQY-FM 102.1 (Rock 102) of Springfield would blanket the same area which WDRC-AM 1360 does (with the Patriots feed).

Is this going to be the same set-up for week 3? Both teams are on at 1 PM again (Houston @ NY Giants and Oakland @ New England).

One would think that WAQY-FM 102.1 (Rock 102) of Springfield would blanket the same area which WDRC-AM 1360 does (with the Patriots feed).

It does, but apparently WAQY doesn't care. I was listening to the game on WAQY in the Meriden area and couldn't help but notice that all the local spots were for businesses in Springfield, Chicopee, Palmer, Enfield, etc., just as they were when the Pats were also on WCCC-FM, with its largely redundant coverage area. WAQY is sold as a Springfield-market station, as it's always been, and any audience its Mount Tom blowtorch reaches in the Hartford market is incidental.

This week they made the following announcement on WTIC AM 1080 during their 10AM News update:

The New York Giants will be here on WTIC at Noon.

The New England Patriots Game can be heard on 96.5 HD2 and on WDRC AM 1360!

(Long time, first time from the Exit 44 area)

I heard the announcements on Saturday and Sunday. I tried tuning into WDRC sometime in the middle of the game, and had a hard time finding any trace of them. I think it sounded like they dialed back the power a couple of decimal places. What I want to know is where was the Red Sox game broadcast locally?

When I heard WTIC advertise that they would be airing both teams this season a couple of weeks ago I checked with the NFL schedule. I think I found that two of the first four weeks, and two of the last four weeks would have conflicts. The rest of the season looked clear of conflict.

Lastly, when it took me a few seconds to learn I dialed (a real 1970's dial) past WDRC and reached WPOP, the Browns-Saints game was playing on 1410, via Westwood One.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom