• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDEL Owners Draw International Criticism For "Racist" Cartoon

F

FredLeonard

Steinman Enterprises, a privately-held family-owned company, which owns Delmarva Broadcasting (operator of right-wing talk station WDEL) as well as Lancaster Newspapers, has become the subject of international attention after publishing a cartoon in its Lancaster paper last week comparing crowded airline seating conditions to conditions on slave ships.

theguardian.co.uk said:
Newspaper sorry for cartoon comparing air travel to slave ships

• Lancaster Online ‘deeply sorry’ for ‘hurtful’ cartoon
• ‘It both trivialised and demeaned’ slaves’ experience

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...orry-cartoon-comparing-air-travel-slave-ships

Funny how the white Christian male is bashed non stop 24-7-365 by the liberal media, but when someone even hints on anything that even seems derogotory to the blacks, the whole world has to apologize and bow their heads in silence. That is what happens when the liberal XXX controlled media constantly dictates what we see, hear and read and put certain people on a false guilt trip, just to make one-sided news stories. BTW was their ever an apology to the falsely accused Duke students by those two race baiting phoney preachers.

Last edited:
Funny how the white Christian male is bashed non stop 24-7-365 by the liberal media, but when someone even hints on anything that even seems derogotory to the blacks, the whole world has to apologize and bow their heads in silence. That is what happens when the liberal XXX controlled media constantly dictates what we see, hear and read and put certain people on a false guilt trip, just to make one-sided news stories. BTW was their ever an apology to the falsely accused Duke students by those two race baiting phoney preachers.

Let me guess, AM talk radio and Fox "News"?

Well, Sherlock, let me try to explain what goes on here.... First-off, these sorts of 'gaffs" are no mistake. They are code to assure you that "we think just like you".

In New York we had an ill-bred dreg with a phoney name called Bob Grant (real name: Gigante). He regularly called blacks "brood sows" savages, mutants etc. If a black caller got through to him, he'd quietly cue his board op to paly monkey noises and then, after cutting him off, he'd retort "aww, give him a banana".

Today's degenerate hosts can't be as open about this sort of thing -so they use 'code" and slips' of the tongue.

Don Imus used his sidekicks to do the dirty work for years. He'd have one of them do an impression of George Steinbrenner in a Nazi accent calling his black players "big stupid porchmonkeys" .Every one of his skits had some dig at blacks, gays etc. This sort of thing went on daily till several sponsors dumped him.

Chan/NYC

Last edited by a moderator:
Your type always know how to twist things to your advantage and always put US on the defensive, no matter how wrong and guilty you are. Its kinda funny, anytime of the day or night that I listen to the radio or TV as a matter of fact, I always hear whites praising black athletes, musicians, politicians and entertainment figures, but I never, ever, hear one black host say anything remotely good and positive about any white figure. Its always bad white man and poor black man, like I said, the liberal media will go out of its way to find one sparse incident; when many other violent issues are ignored, remember the poor white girl from Clayton or are you ignorant of that fact. You want to hear anti-white racist radio around the clock, give WURD a listen for a few minutes then spew your false statements Mr. Jones, oh but how could WURD be racist, blacks are not capable of being racist, so I always hear. While you mentioned NYC radio, let me inform you that there is not one station catering to the white rock audience but tons digging the black listener, if it were the other way around all hell would break loose and the race card would be played over and over. What if a few black oriented stations BLS comes to mind would flip to rock, when would the riots begin. You are so out of touch just like most of you uninformed units.

Last edited:
Your type always know how to twist things to your advantage and always put US on the defensive, no matter how wrong and guilty you are. Its kinda funny, anytime of the day or night that I listen to the radio or TV as a matter of fact, I always hear whites praising black athletes, musicians, politicians and entertainment figures, but I never, ever, hear one black host say anything remotely good and positive about any white figure.

This is not a racial issue.

The newspaper compared airline seating with the slave ship horrors of centuries past.

This is an "inappropriateness" and "insensitivity" issue.

Were a newspaper to compare Michelle Obama's school lunch menu dictates to the concentration camps in Poland in W.W. II it would be just as insensitive. And it would have nothing to do with race but with the trivializing of horrendous events by comparing them with comparatively insignificant current situations.

But I suppose the hard-core ultra-conservatives will make something totally different out of it, following your distorted example.

It all depends on whose ox is being gored. A comparison to slave ships offend one group. A comparison to concentration camps offens another. These designated victim-entitlement groups seem to want to think no other group has suffered as badly as we did.

This is a company with a history of "insensitivity" and "inappropriateness" in newspapers and radio, going back to their "bundist" leanings before the US entered World War II.

Some might compare slave ships or concentration camps to the working conditions in the Steinmans' coal mines but nobody cares much about poor Whites in Appalachia.

Some might compare slave ships or concentration camps to the working conditions in the Steinmans' coal mines but nobody cares much about poor Whites in Appalachia.

Working in a coal mine may not be the epitome of fine labor but the fact is that people were given no option in be incarcerated in concentration camps or slave ships. There is no such condition applied to coal miners. Nothing prevents them from walking off the job and getting a more enjoyable job elsewhere.

Working in a coal mine may not be the epitome of fine labor but the fact is that people were given no option in be incarcerated in concentration camps or slave ships. There is no such condition applied to coal miners. Nothing prevents them from walking off the job and getting a more enjoyable job elsewhere.

Nothing? Maybe your situation in life has never been desperate but having no compassion for people in desperate circumstances inexcusable.

It all depends on whose ox is being gored. A comparison to slave ships offend one group. A comparison to concentration camps offens another. These designated victim-entitlement groups seem to want to think no other group has suffered as badly as we did.

This is a company with a history of "insensitivity" and "inappropriateness" in newspapers and radio, going back to their "bundist" leanings before the US entered World War II.

You and Hangman should really get together sometime for a Kozy Koffee Klatsch...

Nothing? Maybe your situation in life has never been desperate but having no compassion for people in desperate circumstances inexcusable.

Would being in Vietnam in combat be considered "nothing"? If so, I would qualify.

I totally agree that coal mining is a terrible existence but it is also possible for one to walk away and get another job. It was not possible for slaves or inmates to desert their confinement.

Nothing prevents them from walking off the job and getting a more enjoyable job elsewhere.

That is the "nothing" I was talking about. I was possible for slaves to "desert their confinement" and many did. Not easy. Not without huge risk. But possible. In these coal country company towns there are no other jobs for coal miners to walk away to. Even if there were, what else are they qualified to do. Add to that massive debt, much of it to the company and its monopoly stores. It's not chattel slavery but it's pretty damn close to serfdom. You seem to think somebody who grew up in a coal town, whose daddy and grandfather worked in the mines, who has known only poverty, where schooling is minimal and debt is chronic can just wake up some morning and get himself a nice job in an air conditioned office.

This is the essence of tea party conservatism. Much as they invoke Jesus, Jesus did care about people at the bottom rungs of society. Tea people only have contempt for those on the rungs below them, and glorify those above (even though they have no chance of joining them). The gap between the rich and everybody else keeps widening. The poor become poorer. Social mobility decreases. And the right doesn't care, even as they get screwed as much as anybody else.

I was possible for slaves to "desert their confinement" and many did.

Not off a slave ship (which was the object of our discussion at the time).

In these coal country company towns there are no other jobs for coal miners to walk away to. Even if there were, what else are they qualified to do. Add to that massive debt, much of it to the company and its monopoly stores. It's not chattel slavery but it's pretty damn close to serfdom. You seem to think somebody who grew up in a coal town, whose daddy and grandfather worked in the mines, who has known only poverty, where schooling is minimal and debt is chronic can just wake up some morning and get himself a nice job in an air conditioned office.

You said it yourself. It ain't easy but many have. If one tried escaping one of Hitler or Stalin's camps they would have received a bullet or bayonet. Walking away from a coal mine does not have the same type of risk.

This is the essence of tea party conservatism. Much as they invoke Jesus, Jesus did care about people at the bottom rungs of society. Tea people only have contempt for those on the rungs below them, and glorify those above (even though they have no chance of joining them). The gap between the rich and everybody else keeps widening. The poor become poorer. Social mobility decreases. And the right doesn't care, even as they get screwed as much as anybody else.

I am not a conservative on most issues and definitely not a TP candidate. And there is nothing concrete to prove a "Jesus" figure ever lived so I don't buy comparisons with that fictional character either. I was born into a lower middle class family that just barely scraped by from paycheck to paycheck. I never went hungry but there were plenty of meals that didn't fill up a plate. After school I joined the military (it was a requirement) and got a start on a technical vocation. When I got out I went back to school (on the GI Bill) and completed my military training, took that into the corporate world and eventually became a "rich" person. Part of that was very hard work, doing what I had to do and part was living below my means and saving/investing. I am now part of the "1%" but it took a whole working lifetime to get there. Anyone with any reasonable amount of brains could do as well. I am not unique.

My working era was easier to climb up the ladder than those working today. I have seen that with my children. Nonetheless, it is still possible to become successful with education and determination. My experience hearing people complain because they want someone to give them what they are not willing to work for. I have little or no compassion for those people. I completely understand the difference between my childhood and those of a coal miner in West Virginia. I was in the Navy with dozens of them. And from there they had the same opportunities I had. There is no excuse for going back to the coal mines unless you are a captive of your own mind.

Kozy Koffee Klatsch...

Thank you for proving my point..

200px-Fourth_United_States_Army_svg.png

Last edited:
Aw, shucks, I can't take credit for that; you and FL proved it all by yourselves.

Last edited:
Your type always know how to twist things to your advantage and always put US on the defensive, no matter how wrong and guilty you are. Its kinda funny, anytime of the day or night that I listen to the radio or TV as a matter of fact, I always hear whites praising black athletes, musicians, politicians and entertainment figures, but I never, ever, hear one black host say anything remotely good and positive about any white figure. Its always bad white man and poor black man, like I said, the liberal media will go out of its way to find one sparse incident; when many other violent issues are ignored, remember the poor white girl from Clayton or are you ignorant of that fact. You want to hear anti-white racist radio around the clock, give WURD a listen for a few minutes then spew your false statements Mr. Jones, oh but how could WURD be racist, blacks are not capable of being racist, so I always hear. While you mentioned NYC radio, let me inform you that there is not one station catering to the white rock audience but tons digging the black listener, if it were the other way around all hell would break loose and the race card would be played over and over. What if a few black oriented stations BLS comes to mind would flip to rock, when would the riots begin. You are so out of touch just like most of you uninformed units.

''Sorry, I didn't jump through your hoops, I tried to point out how that low-end of the industry manipulates dopes by playing to their fears and prejudices. You needn't "inform" me about anything in New York City radio. I live in Manhattan near Central Park on the upper east side. This is the reddest voting district of all 5 boroughs.

Your attempt to make a point about some obscure local radio station proves my point -but from a different angle. This same type of pandering is found all across the country on AM talk stations -the kind that types like you take as truth.

AM talk is a dying entity, in 3-4 years most of these stations will be totally out of saleable demos and unsustainable. What you are seeing are death throes.

For added entertainment I'll quote this gem: "What if a few black oriented stations BLS comes to mind would flip to rock, when would the riots begin."

Do you really "think" there are enough "riot age" people left who care about some commercial enterprise to even get upset over it? Over the last 17 years NYC lost both of it's black oriented talk stations on AM and a longtime music FM (WRKS). Other than a few postmortems in print media, there was no reaction.

You live in a misinformed, scared and resentful world.

Good luck to you.

Chan

Not off a slave ship (which was the object of our discussion at the time).

You said it yourself. It ain't easy but many have. If one tried escaping one of Hitler or Stalin's camps they would have received a bullet or bayonet. Walking away from a coal mine does not have the same type of risk.

I am not a conservative on most issues and definitely not a TP candidate. And there is nothing concrete to prove a "Jesus" figure ever lived so I don't buy comparisons with that fictional character either. I was born into a lower middle class family that just barely scraped by from paycheck to paycheck. I never went hungry but there were plenty of meals that didn't fill up a plate. After school I joined the military (it was a requirement) and got a start on a technical vocation. When I got out I went back to school (on the GI Bill) and completed my military training, took that into the corporate world and eventually became a "rich" person. Part of that was very hard work, doing what I had to do and part was living below my means and saving/investing. I am now part of the "1%" but it took a whole working lifetime to get there. Anyone with any reasonable amount of brains could do as well. I am not unique.

My working era was easier to climb up the ladder than those working today. I have seen that with my children. Nonetheless, it is still possible to become successful with education and determination. My experience hearing people complain because they want someone to give them what they are not willing to work for. I have little or no compassion for those people. I completely understand the difference between my childhood and those of a coal miner in West Virginia. I was in the Navy with dozens of them. And from there they had the same opportunities I had. There is no excuse for going back to the coal mines unless you are a captive of your own mind.

Bully for you.

Hard work in the corporate world? At a desk? In an air conditioned office. Shuffling papers? Spend a day in a mine, or even a factory and see what it's like for those who do the real work while you count other people's money for them.

We are all captives of our old mind-set. The mind-set you express is hooray for me and to hell with you - I made it, you didn't. Screw you. And we don't invent our own mind-sets. They come to use through some combination of heredity and early up-bringing. Your lower middle-class parents gave you more than you realize. We don't choose our own mind-set.

You sound like Barry Goldwater in the old Herblock cartoon, saying to the homeless person in an alley, "If you had any initiative, you'd go out and inherit a department store."

You deny being a "conservative" yet you replicate that mind-set. You even brag about going to Viet Nam to murder people who never did anything to you and murder babies for the greater glory of Uncle Corn-pone and Tricky Dick. Any one with any integrity went to jail or Canada. However, you are one step up from those like Slick Willy and the Drunk Little Twerp Dubya who weaseled out.

The issue is not whether Jesus ever lived. The issue is that those who believe it and invoke his name completely disregard the concern for the poor associated with the character.

Why has no one even bothered to point out that this wasn't even on the radio? It's a NEWSPAPER cartoon. Bad taste, sure, but this appears to be just another smear thread.

Why has no one even bothered to point out that this wasn't even on the radio? It's a NEWSPAPER cartoon. Bad taste, sure, but this appears to be just another smear thread.

By the owners of a chain of radio stations. They used to own a lot more, plus some TV stations.

Once again, you contribute nothing to any discussion. You just sit there in your parents' basement stalking people and making snarky comments on this and who knows how many other message boards. Sad part is apparently you think you're funny. You're not.

I'm sure they have some competent shrinks in Providence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom