• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBC execs tell CRTC it can no longer afford to be free

mvcg66b3r

Star Participant
Canada’s public broadcaster says it can no longer afford to offer its television programming for free over the air as its advertising revenue deteriorates, and it wants cable and satellite companies to start paying for its signals.
http://www.friends.ca/news-item/12422

The cable companies in Canada have taken a big chunk of CBC's former ad revenue - especially ad revenue from sports, like Hockey Night in Canada.

Add to that how Stephen Harper's Alliance-Conservative (anything but progressive) government has cut government financial support for the CBC.

The CRTC probably won't let them shut down rusty towers terrestrial TV (making cable companies pay is more likely) but in any event, CBC cut backs will continue until the CBC becomes just like US broadcasters - especially the news.

TV is commercial; Radio One is non-commercial. Maybe they could adopt the US public radio model: Corporate underwriting and Begathons. Plus spin-off local stations to universities or foundations.

Biggest waste of money is the Northern Division. Shut it down and just put in repeaters taking the network feed. Only political correctness keeps the Northern Division going.

I didn't think Hockey Night in Canada was going to exist on CBC after this season... Is HNIC going to continue into the future?

I am a bit confused on the rogers deal. I was under the impression that the deal would put hockey exclusively on Rogers Sportsnet, without any terrestrial coverage. I hope that isn't the case; the games should be shown somewhere on the local market.

HNIC (or whatever it ends up being called) will continue on The CBC for at least four more years, but Rogers will be producing it. If I remember correctly, The CBC will also air the Stanley Cup Final series, but All Star Weekend is headed to Rogers Sportsnet. Your Saturday night NHL fix is safe...at least until 2018.

Oh yeah. I don't think The CBC gets any cash from it. Rogers sells the ads, Rogers makes all the money. If that's correct, that might be a problem.

One thing more: Citytv (CKVU in Vancouver, for instance) will get a Sunday night "Hometown Hockey" package and probably some playoff games. They're promoting it now.

Last edited:
HNIC (or whatever it ends up being called) will continue on The CBC for at least four more years, but Rogers will be producing it. If I remember correctly, The CBC will also air the Stanley Cup Final series, but All Star Weekend is headed to Rogers Sportsnet. Your Saturday night NHL fix is safe...at least until 2018.

Oh yeah. I don't think The CBC gets any cash from it. Rogers sells the ads, Rogers makes all the money. If that's correct, that might be a problem.

One thing more: Citytv (CKVU in Vancouver, for instance) will get a Sunday night "Hometown Hockey" package and probably some playoff games. They're promoting it now.

Interesting. I'm really glad to hear that CBC is holding onto Hockey Night (CBC is what I rely on for Canucks Hockey on a regular basis without having access to sportsnet). More coverage on local channels is always a positive. It seems like local sports get pushed to cable channels far too often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom