• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Four Seasons' Bob Crewe Dead At 82

Never heard a thing about this on the news. Funny how these folks tend to just be forgotten as time moves on. Guess we are too busy worrying about what Lady Gag Gag or Kim K. is wearing.

Crewe was a teenage heartthrob in the 50's? I never heard of him until he was part of the Four Seasons. He certainly wasn't a heartthrob like Rick Nelson to whom he was compared.

Never heard a thing about this on the news. Funny how these folks tend to just be forgotten as time moves on. Guess we are too busy worrying about what Lady Gag Gag or Kim K. is wearing.

Though Crewe is a notable footnote in the music business, he was hardly ever a big name star. I was a Top 40 radio and rock music fiend in the 60s, and I don't think I knew his name until decades later, reading about him on the internet. The 4 Seasons' "star" was Frankie Valli, not Bob Crewe. The behind the scenes people (songwriters, producers) rarely found fame in those days, though they do more lately in this information age.

Last edited:
Though Crewe is a notable footnote in the music business, he was hardly ever a big name star. I was a Top 40 radio and rock music fiend in the 60s, and I don't think I knew his name until decades later, reading about him on the internet. The 4 Seasons' "star" was Frankie Valli, not Bob Crewe. The behind the scenes people (songwriters, producers) rarely found fame in those days, though they do more lately in this information age.

He did have a "one-shot" instrumental hit with "Music To Watch Girls By," credited as The Bob Crewe Generation. The tune was written by Sid Ramin, originally for a Diet Pepsi commercial.

He did have a "one-shot" instrumental hit with "Music To Watch Girls By," credited as The Bob Crewe Generation. The tune was written by Sid Ramin, originally for a Diet Pepsi commercial.
I remember that Pepsi commercial. Andy Williams had a hit in England with a version of it in recent years. i think it was because of its use in a commercial.

Bob Crewe had lots of number 1 hits, although they were performed by various other artists for whom he wrote them...including a very early one, with Silhouettes, by The Rays.

Bob Crewe had lots of number 1 hits, although they were performed by various other artists for whom he wrote them...including a very early one, with Silhouettes, by The Rays.

I think we need to differentiate here between hits as a performer and hits as a songwriter or producer. Jimmy Webb or Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote dozens of hits, but did not perform them. George Martin or Snuff Garrett produced countless hit records, but were neither composers nor performers. Bob Crewe was responsible for many hits as a songwriter and/or producer, but "Music To Watch Girls By" was his only hit as a performer (orchestra leader.)

And of course there are any number of singer-songwriters who generally do not produce their own records (Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, Elton John) and those who "do it all", from Brian Wilson to Barry Gibb to Pharrell Williams.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom