Why did AC stop being soft?
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 246

Thread: Why did AC stop being soft?

  1. #1

    Why did AC stop being soft?

    Just a decade ago, many AC stations were still soft. They played many soft rock songs by the likes of Neil Diamond, the Carpenters, Rod Stewart, etc. And just a few soft currents such as Coors - Breathless. But in the late 2000s, they started sounding more upbeat and current. Now, it's rare to find an AC that plays the staples AC played just 10 years ago. And songs such as Blurred Lines would have been taboo on AC 10 years ago.
    Why are AC stations sounding hotter rather than softer?

  2. #2
    Avid Listener
    Guest
    Look to the artists making the music. What contemporary artists are currently making "soft" music?

  3. #3
    Music Lover
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Avid Listener View Post
    Look to the artists making the music. What contemporary artists are currently making "soft" music?
    There are still artists out there continuing to put out soft music, such as Josh Groban, for example. I don't get why they don't play people like him anymore. Only time I hear anyone like him now on my local AC stations is at Christmas.
    Last edited by Music Lover; 09-11-2014 at 08:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Music Lover
    Guest
    My family and I got so disgusted with our local AC formats changing their sounds that we decided to seek out Internet AC stations. These are some we now listen to.

    These stations play the old version of the format:

    Soft N Easy Net Radio
    www.softneasy.com

    Lite 99 WLTB-DB
    www.lite99online.com

    This station plays a hybrid version of the format:

    Joy 99.5
    www.joy995.com

  5. #5
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    Just a decade ago, many AC stations were still soft. They played many soft rock songs by the likes of Neil Diamond, the Carpenters, Rod Stewart, etc. And just a few soft currents such as Coors - Breathless. But in the late 2000s, they started sounding more upbeat and current. Now, it's rare to find an AC that plays the staples AC played just 10 years ago. And songs such as Blurred Lines would have been taboo on AC 10 years ago.
    Why are AC stations sounding hotter rather than softer?
    The artists you mentioned haven't been AC staples, in a lot more than a decade. I'd say two decades at least. For the rest, "David, clean up on aisle seven!"

  6. #6
    Music Lover
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Avid Listener View Post
    Look to the artists making the music. What contemporary artists are currently making "soft" music?
    Besides Josh Groban and Michael Buble, the contemporary artists that I can think of that fit the old version of the format would be Adele, John Mayer, John Legend, Christina Perri, Colbie Caillat, Jason Mraz, Norah Jones, Corrine Bailey Rae, Ed Sheeran, Lady Antebellum. Those are the ones that the stations I listed choose to play.
    Last edited by Music Lover; 09-12-2014 at 07:56 AM.

  7. #7
    Music Lover
    Guest
    The Soft N Easy station that my family and I listen to plays new songs by older artists:

    Walking Good - Heart featuring Sarah McLachlan
    Far From Home - The Doobie Brothers
    Just Friends - Vanessa Williams
    Going Back - Phil Collins
    Home Again - Elton John
    I Hope You Find It - Cher

    Jim Brickman is still putting out new collaborations with vocalists.

    I don't get why my local AC stations don't play anything new by such artists.

  8. #8
    Avid Listener
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
    Besides Josh Groban and Michael Buble, the contemporary artists that I can think of that fit the old version of the format would be Adele, John Mayer, John Legend, Christina Perri, Colbie Caillat, Jason Mraz, Norah Jones, Corrine Bailey Rae, Ed Sheeran, Lady Antebellum. Those are the ones that the stations I listed choose to play.
    I am familiar with most of those artists. Of the ones I am familiar with, most of them have a repertoire that includes softer songs, and also harder songs. I'm sorry, but attempting to pigeonhole artists who have a broad and varied catalog of work doesn't explain much.

  9. #9
    Music Lover
    Guest
    @Avid Listener
    The Soft N Easy station that my family and I listen to plays Chris Mann. He's a crooner, like Josh Groban. I think singers like Chris Mann would be more suited for AC stations than Pink or Gaga.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
    My family and I got so disgusted with our local AC formats changing their sounds that we decided to seek out Internet AC stations. These are some we now listen to.

    These stations play the old version of the format:

    Soft N Easy Net Radio
    www.softneasy.com

    Lite 99 WLTB-DB
    www.lite99online.com

    This station plays a hybrid version of the format:

    Joy 99.5
    www.joy995.com
    Thanks for the mention, Musiclover! Glad to hear you're enjoying Lite 99. As you said, we do play the original version of the soft AC format. WLTB-DB is based on the original WLTB, Lite 99 FM here in Birmingham, which was on the air from 1985-88 at 99.5 (which is now country WZRR "Nash Icon 99-5"). We've brought WLTB-FM's format forward in time and added tracks that were "grafted"into the soft AC format in the early to mid 90's, as well as incorporating newer material. As many of you who listen to "old school" soft adult contemporary may remember, the format was primarily older-based soft rock ballads, with a few currents thrown in per hour to keep the format fresh, so we are adopting that same structure for WLTB Digital Radio. For example, we play John Legends "All of Me" "You and I" by One Direction and "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri, just to name a few.
    All Day...All Night...All Weekend...All Nice.
    WQEZ-DB | Beautiful QEZ.
    Always Beautiful Music.
    QEZradio.com

    Easy Favorites. Better Variety.
    WLTB-DB | Birmingham's new LITE 99 Radio.
    Listen LIVE 24 hours a day at Lite99radio.com and on your smartphone/mobile device-->lite99online.com.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us