• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jax Ratings

It’s not often I look at radio ratings. Unless you have specific demo info, it’s hard figuring out what really is happening. Still, shares and cumes do tell part of the story. There’s more of a complete picture in that I’ve noticed Renda stations are listed. I haven’t seen WSOS listed, at least from All Access. I’m not sure why.

WOKV does not have the market dominance it once had and there has been a downward trend for some time now most notably since Neal Boortz retired. News/talk is down in a lot of the country. Jax is following the trend. The average person is probably just burned out over news that’s mostly bad and talk that’s basically contrived and very negative.

It would appear the move to a bigger signal would help ensure the bleeding would not be as bad. There’s probably additional revenue though because of the better signal for the ad rates so maybe that’s what it’s all about, especially to support the large payroll. News talk is a lucrative format - I get it.

Regarding AC, with no direct competition, WEJZ is #1 in share and cume. It’s no surprise. CC’s Kiss has been advancing nicely knocking WAPE out of the #1 overall spot. It probably explains why WEJZ has forged ahead but then to their credit, they may be doing something right.

Outside of marked improvement for CC’s KISS (WKSL), CC has a lot of work ahead of them IMO. Urban AC WSOL was at one time a perennial Top 3 or 4 in the market. They don’t seem to anticipate competition and they could have done a better job strengthening their cluster to protect sister stations. With the addition of Jack FM, earning less cume and audience shares than its’ predecessor, one has to wonder is all about just operating on the cheap.

The country battle goes back and forth between CC’s WQIK and Renda’s WGNE. Country on 100.7 is totally not necessary IMO earning shares of only a 2 on average. Maybe they’ll finally do something with that frequency. I’m not holding my breath.

CC’s Planet is earning fractional shares. There really isn’t impact but maybe a little goodwill gesture. Still, I have a feeling Planet is here to stay.

While it may be a long shot for CC to reconsider and bring classic hits back to Jax, I wouldn’t be surprised if an AC does find a place in the CC cluster instead. As replacement to Adult Hits Jack-FM, this could enhance the CC cluster in a number of ways. Like Greatest Hits type classic hits, AC has some personality to it requiring an air team. If there is no budget for it, I'm afraid Jack FM will remain.

We’re coming to the time of year when changes happen. Let’s hope some correct decisions are finally made in Jacksonville. Maybe a good station or two will find a place. Ratings are key and I believe the answers are in there somewhere.

Last edited:
The country battle goes back and forth between CC’s WQIK and Renda’s WGNE. Country on 100.7 is totally not necessary IMO earning shares of only a 2 on average. Maybe they’ll finally do something with that frequency. I’m not holding my breath.

I believe 100.7 is doing exactly what it is intended to do - shaving off the top end of WQIK's audience to make 99.9 more competitive in rank position. I don't think they'll change a thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom