• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

95.3 "kgy"

How good would 2 or 3 HD-FM translators do up in areas like Moclips and Copalis Beach? I know Pacific Beach was rather clear to Astoria and Lincoln City, but had some multipath with KSWW, KANY and KJET. Could hear the 88.7 CSN and 94.7 KBKW, but I'm sure all the reception would be in and out.
KXXO and KGY cover the market VERY well. At Pacific Beach they were coming in with big signals. KOMO especially. Bled onto KSHL 97.5 over there.

Crappy radios only get the local 89.1 KXPB-LP, and maybe KSWW, KDUX, KXXK or even KCRX there at Pacific Beach.

-crainbebo]

If everyone had an HD receiver, the signal coverage does not extend as far as the analog. And with the HD-2,3,4 channels feeding a translator, the 250 watt limit is still not sufficient to cover the entire market like the analog does.

I equate the use of FM translators with the what happened in the early days of FM, when there were few FM receivers, and AM/FM simulcasting was used to help the transition.

In our small isolated rural market, we're using the HD translators to provide more diversity of programming, since few metro stations cover the market. We concentrate our local talent on live and local morning shows.
You are expecting a full signal beyond the protected contour. Anything beyond the 60dbu contour doesn't belong there and you can't expect to hear it, just because it's digital. With that said, I get pretty good reception well beyond 60dbu but you can't depend on it because it was never authorized in the first place.

How good would 2 or 3 HD-FM translators do up in areas like Moclips and Copalis Beach? I know Pacific Beach was rather clear to Astoria and Lincoln City, but had some multipath with KSWW, KANY and KJET. Could hear the 88.7 CSN and 94.7 KBKW, but I'm sure all the reception would be in and out.
KXXO and KGY cover the market VERY well. At Pacific Beach they were coming in with big signals. KOMO especially. Bled onto KSHL 97.5 over there.

Crappy radios only get the local 89.1 KXPB-LP, and maybe KSWW, KDUX, KXXK or even KCRX there at Pacific Beach.

-crainbebo]

Dunno, but KBKW's morning local talk show "CoffeeTalk" is now listenable up in Quinault area. The coast is more problematic, and does get the Astoria signals and Holy Cross signals fairly well.

You are expecting a full signal beyond the protected contour. Anything beyond the 60dbu contour doesn't belong there and you can't expect to hear it, just because it's digital. With that said, I get pretty good reception well beyond 60dbu but you can't depend on it because it was never authorized in the first place.

Well, I didn't say I expected anything beyond the 60dBu contour; the fact that HD signals don't make it to the 60dBu contour has been a big topic, to the point that many stations have chosen to go from
-20 to -14 injection, and -10 is also on the table. I am wondering which HD signals you are receiving at the 60 dBu contour, and what their injection level is.

In our case, I've never been concerned about what happens beyond the 60 dBu contour because our market is all within the predicted contour.

-crainbebo]

94.7 is now Classic Country, and KBKW audio has moved to 100.5

When I was in Ocean Shores this summer, KYNW and the other South Mountain sticks were quite strong. Also Seattle was listenable except in Aberdeen proper.

Well, I didn't say I expected anything beyond the 60dBu contour; the fact that HD signals don't make it to the 60dBu contour has been a big topic, to the point that many stations have chosen to go from
-20 to -14 injection, and -10 is also on the table. I am wondering which HD signals you are receiving at the 60 dBu contour, and what their injection level is.

In our case, I've never been concerned about what happens beyond the 60 dBu contour because our market is all within the predicted contour.

I can hear all of the Portland FM HD stations, as I'm driving into Salem OR, about 40 miles away. That includes the Class C2s, whose 60dbu end about ten miles or so before that. I can't comment about portable reception but I haven't had a dropout locally for nearly a decade! That is, I hadn't until a couple of stations put on HD3s, with expanded bandwidth, to improve frequency response. Unfortunately, it's more susceptible to interference from the main channel and laced with dropouts, particularly as you get closer to the transmitter. It only affects the HD3 though. There's no effect to HD1 or 2. They really need to fix this part of the technology or abandon it. Lower frequency response is better than incessant dropouts!

When I had a portable Hd radio for my phone, it was kind of spotty on some stations. I'm not sure if it's the spot the antenna is in or what, but my friend who has a tabletop hd radio couldn't hold a lock on 95.7 hd2 while I could never get a lock on 88.5 hd2. I had a few drops with the phone on KNBQHD2 where the analog is strong. D1 signals were fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom