• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WW1 in Jax and déjà vu

John FL

Star Participant
Enough time and programming sampling have gone by to address this subject. I can appreciate the challenges a small owner faces. With syndicated programming and talent provided from Westwood One, a major hurdle is overcome. I think everyone will agree, there can’t be a set it and forget mentality. That doesn’t bring in listeners or revenue. You have to work hard and smart to have that shot at success.

Speaking of shots, from a listener perspective, there aren’t many. It’s common knowledge listeners seek immediate gratification. They want something they like and is good and they want consistency. Westwood One’s Good Time Oldies programming is offered on AM 1600 The Beach and on FM translator at 102.3.

Over the past few weeks, even in my limited tune-ins, the FM has been off the air on occasion. Sometimes, all is OK. Sometimes, there has been interference. Most times, it just sounds “tinny” or weak. Yesterday, there was a popping thing. During a song, there would be a micro second of silence – over and over. All very distracting and to the average listener – it’s bye-bye.

I wasn’t aware Jacksonville even had the former True Oldies Channel on AM1600. If someone like me doesn’t know, the masses didn’t know either. The AM doesn’t come in very well where I live. I wouldn’t have listened anyway because I just don’t like AM and the overall poor sound.

While I understand a small operator won’t or can’t invest in major promotions such as a TV ad campaign or dozens of billboard signs, there are lots of things that can be done. There’s some common sense too.

About a month ago, I reported “The Beach” did a station open house. Meet and greets are a wonderful and not terribly expensive way to promote your station. That did not happen. The star of the event was really Christian station 91.7 The Promise. That’s all fine and well. There was a booth for conservative talker WBOB and there was a booth for The Beach. I’m assuming there’s some kind of connection among all these stations.

For years, I have talked of lost opportunity. I won’t get into the weeds but really that event and Good Time Oldies in Jax are this town’s best kept secret. The WBOB booth was unmanned. I thought that odd. With all the Evangelical Christians in attendance, one would think someone should have been actively “working the crowd.” There were no doubt many very conservatives out and about who perhaps needed to be reminded of WBOB. No common sense.

The Beach booth was manned by four guys. It might as well had been unmanned. No one acknowledged me, welcomed me, made eye contact with me, spoke to me – nothing. This was after I said something like “It’s great to finally have a station like this in Jacksonville.” Folks, that was rude and it has no place if you are trying to build a radio station and be a success. I could have been a potential sponsor or perhaps someone from the media or even Jax's entertainment paper "Folio." More no common sense.

I reflect a lot about Jacksonville radio and the dreadful treatment nostalgia based formats have received here. Add this to the pile! These guys also feature a number of talk shows on their schedule. It’s hopeless. They don’t get it. Non-music programming on AM is fine but not on FM unless you are doing something major that is more mass-appeal like Jags Football or perhaps a Daytona 500 race and even that’s a stretch. Certainly not shows on legal matters, fishing and motor cycle riding. If you're a news/talker or sports on FM, that's fine too. For 102.3 to even get noticed, music must be the star.

Westwood One also does Classic Hits and it’s somewhat variety based. This is offered in North Florida but not in Jacksonville. http://www.classichits933.com/ I didn’t see a streaming option. WW1 did offer sampling programming. It looks OK. However, given what we have in Jax, I’m going to refrain from making any further recommendations for 1600 The Beach/102.3 because it’s doubtful they would listen anyway. I would really love to hear how this sounds before I make any recommendations. Perhaps someone knows of a station that streams this from WW1.

Déjà vu in Jacksonville. For as long as I live, I will never understand why this market does what it does. I can understand why 93.3 west of Gainesville is taking that approach, especially given their geography. There’s some nice interaction with listeners in FB and advertisers appear welcomed with open arms. That’s how to do it with limited resources.

In Jacksonville, if the powers that be get their act together @ The Beach, I could see merits in moving the music sweet spot ahead via WW1’s Classic Hits. Still, I see the most effectiveness with a better signal and a company that can invest resources to the format’s success. In our current radio landscape, Jacksonville only has one AC station. I see opportunity in a Greatest Hits version of classic hits that offers some AC elements to it. You probably noticed titles that fit that in my “awesome mix.” That was by design.

At any rate, there’s options for even the smallest of operators. Larger operators are not exempt from the wealth of programming they can offer as well. For everybody, common sense, hard work and treating listeners respectfully are a must!

From what I have listened to the beach here in Daytona (I can pick up 1600 because our Local 1590 went dark) the WW One Format is Awesome and for somebody with Programming Chops it does not take much to customize & Localize it,that said I do not believe this is the situation at all-it sounds to me the WW One Oldies Format is on there just to have something on the air so they don't have to go Dark. It's sad there are situations like this (be it the case this time or not) In My Opinion it gives the Satellite Distributor a Bad name as well. Somebody wants to put it on in Daytona or Orlando-somebody even if just riding thru comes across it-their going to have a bad feeling when they hear it & change. If you are an owner and in it just to keep it on the air-there are a lot of folks like myself out of work who can make it sound good-and is not going to cost an arm & a leg for you-hire people who care and who know what their doing.

John, Jacksonville has a good number of talented professionals who can make a difference. For reasons I will never understand, success, proven track records and even name recognition don’t seem to carry the weight it once did. One would think, making a proper talent investments up front would help increase the odds for long term success. When failure happens, the market/the listener is to blame. It's about quality and it's always been about that and exceeding listener expectations.

I will agree with your assessment that WW1 provides a great product. However, I see Jacksonville in a different light. It’s based on median age and what I am experiencing elsewhere. My advice to programmers such as yourself and those in Jax who are very eager to do build something really good is to literally stay in tune to what is happening in the format.

I recommend taking a look at WCBS FM, WMXJ, WOGL, KRTH and WOMC. I pull in many doing the format. They are the best on many levels to include personality which is extremely important. Sunny in Orlando has gotten too rock oriented. Jax does not need that so that was excluded this year. BTW, I used programming of those 5 stations and streaming to gain insight as to what typical Jax listeners liked and did not like. That helped me build the LD countdown. There’s lot of data “out there” for the right programmers and owners.

Closer to home, the situation with The Beach is rather depressing. Earlier in the week, I had trouble hearing the station in the Julington Creek area. (Very southern Duval & northern St. John's County) That’s totally unacceptable especially given that area is prime for potential listeners. Yesterday, jingles kept interrupting a song. Another song played and within seconds it was interrupted by jingles and station ID etc. and a news broadcast. It’s embarrassing.

In contrast, other markets have brought classic hits to a very exciting level. IMO, the format is well positioned to perform well in 25-54. We are already seeing improvements in the ratings. There’s a mass appeal quality with an emphasis on music that not only the 40 somethings like but I believe upper 30‘s can find some elements to their liking as well. No one programs to 55+ but there’s something there for them as well. The trick is to have a substantial total audience in 25-54.

Scott Shannon is set to broadcast a syndicated weekend show. I’ll be paying close attention to the titles. This is like a research bonanza. No doubt, a lot of study has gone into song selection for a national audience and I’m all ears. Those in the business should pay attention too, especially if they make the pitch for the return of classic hits to Jacksonville or elsewhere.

The subject string is also about déjà vu. I’ve explained missteps and the past inhumane regard for the format countless times. Things don’t change here. It saddens me greatly. Just like 10 years ago, we really don’t get to experience the evolution of the format. Instead, it’s torn down. It’s never been given proper time and effort to improve performance. That has really depressed me. There’s no regard for certain listeners as well when that happens.

Personally, WW1 Good Time Oldies may be good but with the right operator and a much better signal and with a switch to classic hits – the variety type- I see much better odds at success in this market. There’s a lot of songs we don’t get to hear that are featured elsewhere. Think about that listener who may like what he/she hears on The Beach. Mistakes and poor signal send them elsewhere looking for something good. Best of luck! My fingers are crossed that one day Jax will get a station similar to the ones I mentioned above but specifically created for Jax. We're coming to the end of the year when changes occur. Maybe when all appears lost, someone will throw a Hail Mary pass!

I’ve slept on this for a number of nights. Again, I don’t have issue with the majority of songs. There is a good and varied 60’s library. Among my concerns is the frequency of 60’s songs per hour. But then, I suppose that’s what helps differentiate “Good Time Oldies" which this format is from today's’ classic variety hits.

Then there are the presenters. I’ve noticed the male jocks have a tendency to talk up the songs almost to a throwback to AM Top 40 days. Maybe that’s by design but I’m thinking even older listeners have probably gotten accustomed to shorter rap. It's a little goofy sounding too.

As far as this latest effort in Jax goes, I can only say I hope the owner gets his act together given what I’ve already talked about in previous posts regarding signal and talk shows that do more harm than good. But really, I can’t help but think where we were in this market and where we are now.

“The Beach” represents a few crumbs and it really is sad when you consider what this market once had. There’s no local feel and that’s a shame. Yes, it’s all déjà vu. I fully understand things change. I have been very accepting of changes in Greatest Hits programming because many still - Thank God - remember the roots of rock 'n roll even if offered on special occasions. Plus, the format is alive, has personality and there is still a good deal of music that is not featured elsewhere. I'm extremely high on The Greatest Hits format.

Perhaps the feeling is Good Time Oldies is better than nothing. I refuse to accept that. This market has demonstrated we can do better…a lot better. What a shame we are where we are. Peace!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom