• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

103.1 sold to JVC Broadcasting

nd2023

Walk of Fame Participant
Vic Latino returns to Orlando as the owner of 103.1. I wonder if he will purchase more in Orlando.
Perhaps Orlando will get it's Party back on 103.1. He loves the EDM format that's on Party 105.3 in NY and Party 100.9 in Gainesville.

It does sounds like it. Can't wait to see how will WPYO, WJHM and WXXL will react to this latest sale and its possible future.

That would be so legit. :) I honestly think a format like that can be good if done right. But I honestly feel a format change for 103.1. I hope I'm right.

"Party" returning to Orlando on regular FM will probably be one of the best comebacks in EDM radio history!
(We currently do have all-Dance "Now 105.1-HD2", for those of us who have an HD Radio.)

JVC seems to like Bubba the Love Sponge. He's on their properties in Gainesville/Ocala and soon to be on a property in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Could BTLS be moving to 103.1 in Orlando? Just a thought. I can see JVC taking this station a few different directions based on their other clusters.

Unless its a Country Outlet (Bubba's show airs on JVC's WTRS in Gainesville). One has to wonder if a certain outlet that resides at 92.3 is ready for new competitor.

Last edited:
An Orlando FM sells to JVC, spicing up the rumors about Bubba the Love Sponge.
Bubba signed last week with JVC to enter the West Palm Beach market on WBGF Belle Glade (93.5), after John Caracciolo’s firm takes over there and (reportedly) changes it from regional Mexican to rock. Now comes a move in a much bigger market, Orlando. Long Island-based JVC Media continues its expansion in the Sunshine State by agreeing to buy Spanish contemporary “KQ103.1” WHKQ. Some speculate that JVC might replace the Spanish format with something else, and that might include Bubba the Love Sponge. (Bubba has been airing in Orlando on Carl Como Tutera’s mostly-sports WRSO Orlovista and its translator at 93.1.) All of this suggests something different from what we were thinking last week – and maybe Bubba’s not close to a deal to return to the Clear Channel family. CC has its own stations in West Palm Beach, and yet Bubba’s going to hit that market on a JVC-owned station. If he goes into Orlando on what’s now “KQ103.1,” that further suggests an alignment with JVC. After all – JVC happily uses Bubba up in Gainesville-Ocala, where he owns a racetrack.

JVC Buys Spanish Formatted WHKQ-FM Orlando

http://www.radioink.com/article.asp?id=2836414&spid=24698

JVC Buys Spanish Formatted WHKQ-FM Orlando

9-7-14

TTB Media sells WHKQ-FM, the only station it owns, to Long Island based JVC Media, run by John Caracciolo and Victor Canales. The station is a Class “C2” licensed to Windermere, Florida, broadcasting Spanish AC with 22,000 watts of power. There's been speculation that JVC would change the format and put Bubba The Love Sponge on the station although Caracciolo would not confirm that on Friday. Radio Ink was also told, by a source in the market, that Caracciolo is committed to the Spanish format and will not add Bubba to the station. Serafin Bros. out of Tampa represented TTB in this deal.

Bubba is hardly entering the West Palm Beach market. WBGF/Belle Glade is non-factor in the vast majority of the West Palm market. Quite simply, it has a terrible signal and is not listenable in many, many areas.

Country would not make any sense 103.1 is not powerful enough to go up against K92.3, I could see 101.9 Going in that Direction. I could see 103.1 doing some form of Urban or Churban without 102 JAMZ in the Picture. Also wouldn't rule out Classic Rock & Bubba in the AM Certainly could fly with a Classic Rock Format.

Last edited:
WBGF/Belle Glade is non-factor in the vast majority of the West Palm market. Quite simply, it has a terrible signal and is not listenable in many, many areas.

As the station's signal is now, I agree with you; However, the 93.5 tower can be moved closer into Palm Beach, giving WBGF full-market Palm Beach coverage at which time WBGF becomes a real factor in the WPB metro.

JVC is also buying WSVU 960, licensed to North Palm Beach. The AM, plus it's translators on 95.9 and 106.9 cover the West Palm Beach and Treasure Coast markets.

my money

Im putting my anonymous money on a rock/hard classic rock with Bubba

As the station's signal is now, I agree with you; However, the 93.5 tower can be moved closer into Palm Beach, giving WBGF full-market Palm Beach coverage at which time WBGF becomes a real factor in the WPB metro.

The stick is being moved seven miles east. With 93.7 in Martin County, can WBGF increase its power? 7 miles east, at its present signal, will not do much for the signal in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, and many other highly populated areas of Palm Beach County.

The stick is being moved seven miles east. With 93.7 in Martin County, can WBGF increase its power? 7 miles east, at its present signal, will not do much for the signal in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, and many other highly populated areas of Palm Beach County.

The move is enough to place a 60 DBU service contour over Palm Beach; however, if WBGF were to downgrade to a class "A" with a COL change its tower can move into West Palm Beach proper, clearing any possible short-spacing conflicts with WGYL. It also appears that it may be able to move closer with its current C3 class if the tower site is placed South of Palm Beach.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens with this one. I'll be in Altamonte for a few weeks this month so hopefully I'll catch something.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this one. I'll be in Altamonte for a few weeks this month so hopefully I'll catch something.

Might only be a cold. I don't think you'll hear any big changes on 103.1 until the FCC has approved the sale, and that hasn't happened yet. Maybe it'll become something completely different, Classic Party Country Rock.

Maybe. They're not telegraphing what they're doing. They've registered websites for a country format and for "Party," but their call letter request doesn't intuitively point to either.

It seems that "Only1more" knows more than what he is saying....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom