• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SNL New Season

When does the new season of Saturday Night Live begin?

What players are not coming back?

I'm sure they will have a tribute to Don Pardo.

Any word on the Voice for SNL??

The show comes back September 27th. We already know that featured players John Milhiser, Noel Wells and Brooks Wheelan were cut at the end of last season (they never really found their place), and Nasim Pedrad left of her own volition for her role in FOX's Mulaney this Fall (it shoots on the West coast, so flying back and forth every week would be impractical). No word on anyone else leaving, so it's assumed that everyone else is staying. Lorne Michaels told CNN that the show is still rebuilding, so there will probably be new featured players added, either at the beginning of the season or in midseason. He also told the New York Times that yes, there will be a tribute for Don Pardo, but he didn't say when, exactly, that would happen. I would imagine there will at least be something up front in the season premiere. There's also a three-hour 40th Anniversary primetime special on February 15th, so I'm sure there will be a significant retrospective on Don's career and his history with the show then, as well. As for who will succeed him (he'll never be replaced), that hasn't been announced yet.

^I believe I know what you meant by the phrase, "He'll (Don Pardo) never be replaced" (he will never be duplicated), but that is exactly what would happen if production on the program were to resume this autumn.

I'm almost positive that they won't have the sense of humor needed to revive one of their best running gags from their first season. I'd reveal that running gag here, but apparently it's off-topic or somehow violates the TOC.

Do you think it's possible that maybe they could still keep Padro's voice for the infamous "It's Saturday Night Lllllliiiiiiiive!" intro, but replace him for everything else.

Do you think it's possible that maybe they could still keep Padro's voice for the infamous "It's Saturday Night Lllllliiiiiiiive!" intro, but replace him for everything else.
I doubt it. It would just come off sounding disjointed. It had crossed my mind earlier that they'll probably still use his introduction for Weekend Update, since Cecily and Colin started their anchor duties before last season ended, but beyond that, they'd be cobbling together existing audio, and those chairs have always been the quickest way to name recognition on the show because Don announced them. A Weekend Update intro without the names of the anchors just wouldn't be the same, so I imagine that when those two move on down the road, that will be the last time we hear Don Pardo's voice on Saturday Night Live.

I'd think it would be best for the new announcer to do everything, even if the Weekend Update anchors are the same as last year.

I'd like to nominate Mike Rowe as a worthy successor.

The show had a brief tribute to Pardo last week. He talked over the closing credits in a way that suggested that was once common, though I had never heard it done. Then they showed a photo of him while his voice said as if from a long way off, "Good night." Then there was the logo of the company and silence.

In terms of who I'd like to see take over the mic, Chris Parnell wouldn't be a bad choice. Viewers are familiar with him from his time as a cast member, and he's got a pretty decent VO career going right now. Wouldn't be a bad fit.

It was announced that comedian Michael Che will be taking Cecily Strong's place as co-anchor on Weekend Update. Che will be the first African-American to work the W.U. desk. Strong will remain on the cast.

This probably works better for Cecily, because it seemed to me she was in a lot of sketches, more than any other W.U. anchor.

Also, executive producer Lorne Michaels said that instead of same-season reruns on NBC Saturdays at 10:00 PM Eastern, they would be playing 'the best of' episodes from each of the past 39 seasons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/business/media/new-comic-to-anchor-update-on-snl.html?_r=0

Cecily was the much better half between she and Colin Jost. Colin, in my opinion anyway, was absolutely horrific. Yes, I know he had no television experience whatsoever but he never really seemed to gel all last season. I'd actually felt she could have handled Update by herself after Seth left. But Cecily is the new golden girl, the new Kristin Wiig, appearing in almost every sketch, including, it seems, the sketch immediately after Weekend Update. Talk about quick changes. So maybe this will allow her to concentrate on new characters.

However, maybe now, we'll see Cecily's former Update character, Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started A Conversation With At A Party. Might be mighty funny to see Girl on the first Update of the season, giving it to the new guy, if you know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMrOGLQ0Vs

SNL premieres on Sept 27th with guest host Chris Pratt and musical guest Ariana Grande.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom