• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philippines: ‘Anti-Selfie’ Bill could put a stop to selfie craze

This is a totally confusing post... and maybe you can come back and clear up some questions for us.

Is the link about a bill in the U.S. Congress, or is the legislature in the Philippines also called "Congress"? If this bill becomes law, what country is affected.

The content of the link seems to talk about privacy and photos... as though the bill might make it possible to push back against the 'papparazzi' style of obtaining clandestine photos and then selling them. What does that have to do with 'selfies'? Are you serious in trying to convince us that we need a law that keeps me from holding up my own camera and shooting a picture of myself?

I guess I skipped my vitamins or something this morning. I am not smart enough to figure out the impact of what you posted.

GRC, it is the Philippines' Congress (Kongreso ng Pilipinas) and they have an upper house and a lower house, modeled on the US Congress.

I can't imagine the bill, if passed into law, would be effective outside the RP.

One of the comments expresses it rather nicely:

"Just a clear example of what kind of leaders does our country have. Instead of trying to resolve the larger scale problem, they focus their attention on things that should be none of their business..." and that was pretty much gist of the two posts in Tagalog.

ABS-CBN News is part of one of the major TV and radio operations out of Manila. We subscribe to their satellite service for the Middle East.

According to The Adobo Chronicles, a protest against the proposed anti-selfie law will take place September 1 in Makati City. Here is the reasoning behind the bill: "The proposed law is meant to discourage paparazzi and others from taking their own photos in parks and other public venues because it could possibly invade the privacy of others. The bill also aims to stop the spread of selfitis, the mental disorder associated with selfies, as declared just a few months ago by the American Psychiatric Association."

"Selfitis"? Good grief! Is there no end to the number of "disorders" and "syndromes" and "itises" that people can come up with?

http://adobochronicles.com/2014/08/...test-proposed-philippine-law-banning-selfies/

Good news for shutterbugs— no more Anti-Selfie Bill!

Good news to all ‘selfie’ lovers- – – the lawmaker behind the proposed “Anti-Selfie” Bill or “An Act to Provide Protection From Personal Intrusion for Commercial Purposes” announced he is backing out.

Cagayan de Oro (2nd District) Representative Rufus Rodriguez said he has already withdrawn his support for the controversial bill which was strongly opposed by local freedom of expression advocates including the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines.

http://kickerdaily.com/good-news-for-shutterbugs-no-more-anti-selfie-bill/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom