• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

dying AM radio

If you don't want to agree with me, that's OK. But don't assume that because we don't agree that I'm wrong.

I do assume you're old enough to remember TV before Fox News and radio before Rush. I could be wrong in that assumption, but anyone who was an adult before 1993 or so knows that it was pretty hard to find a conservative voice in what would now be called "mainstream media".

I do assume you're old enough to remember TV before Fox News and radio before Rush. I could be wrong in that assumption, but anyone who was an adult before 1993 or so knows that it was pretty hard to find a conservative voice in what would now be called "mainstream media".

What's the subject of this thread? I'd like to think at one time AM radio was considered "mainstream media."

I am old enough to remember when the media was not graded like fruit coming through a packing plant where the oranges are graded and sorted by color and size. Media was media. Beginning with the era when the John Birch Society occupied the space in society now occupied by The Tea Party Folks. They began accusing media they disliked of being liberal... when most of the population didn't understand what conservative and liberal meant as a political terminology.

So once the labels were tagged onto certain media and certain journalist, whether the tagging process was accurate or not, we began developing this internal detector mechanism by which we all today grade all media content into good and bad.... whether we have the brain power to do so accurately or not.

Back in the 1930s through the 1960s, liberal and conservative were not everyday terms in our national conversation the way it is today.

I was the News Director and reporter for a well known little midwestern radio station in the 1960s, and in my conversations with a very, very involved station owner, I don't thing the words CONSERVAITVE and LIBERAL ever came up a single time during my tenure.

I am old enough to remember when the media was not graded like fruit coming through a packing plant where the oranges are graded and sorted by color and size. Media was media. Beginning with the era when the John Birch Society occupied the space in society now occupied by The Tea Party Folks. They began accusing media they disliked of being liberal... when most of the population didn't understand what conservative and liberal meant as a political terminology.

So once the labels were tagged onto certain media and certain journalist, whether the tagging process was accurate or not, we began developing this internal detector mechanism by which we all today grade all media content into good and bad.... whether we have the brain power to do so accurately or not.

Back in the 1930s through the 1960s, liberal and conservative were not everyday terms in our national conversation the way it is today.

I was the News Director and reporter for a well known little midwestern radio station in the 1960s, and in my conversations with a very, very involved station owner, I don't thing the words CONSERVAITVE and LIBERAL ever came up a single time during my tenure.

I'm sure you also know pure opinion radio wasn't exactly the norm in those days. As a news director, I'd hope your owner didn't push an agenda. That's how news is supposed to be.

I'm sure you also know pure opinion radio wasn't exactly the norm in those days. As a news director, I'd hope your owner didn't push an agenda. That's how news is supposed to be.

We did a "poice blotter" on the morning news every day. His instructions to me: If the mayor's son were arrested for a serious traffic violation.... it goes on the morning news just like anybody else. AND/BUT, it does not bvecome your lead story. It goes in the police blotter in it's regular place in the news.

The boss was in a traffic accident one day. Not seriously injured. Sitting in a hospital wheel chair he gave me the usual facts we gleaned from police accident reports... hs full name, his age, etc. After he had all that straight then we talked about how he was feeling (not for the news!).

When I had MY ACCIDENT which resulted in the death of a person, before he held my hand and asked me how I felt, he gleaned from ME the usual info we would put into a news story on such an incident. Then he took the time to talk about how I was feeling.

One of his foundational rules: Do not accept an annonymous tip from someone if it came with the restriction "that you must not tell anyone". if you are able later to glean that information from some other source.... now you are bound by the promise not to tell.

His only agenda: I want to beat the newspaper on every story. You better have it on the air before I read it in the paper. And I expect the facts to be right.

If they are number one by a mile, (which seems to be the case) then why are we concerned about "saving" them? How would we save them? Turn back the clock thirty, forty years?
From todays "NOW" daily newsletter:

Ipsos says “99% of consumers are comfortable with the current AM/FM in-car radio operation.”
At a time of anxiety about whether broadcast radio can preserve its place in the dashboard, along comes a study that iHeart commissioned from Ipsos, with these conclusions – “AM/FM radio still dominates in-car listening as the top platform used, with 84% of consumers using it in the car, followed by CD players at 64% - but radio still maintains a huge leadership position over the next closest service choice, Sirius/XM, which had 22%. Pandora was 18%. iHeartRadio was 8%. HD Radio 7%. And Spotify was 7%.” Big-picture, Ipsos MediaCT VP Thomas Spinelli reports that “the consumer isn't replacing existing services and products with new ones. Instead, they want them all - making the car even more music-enabled with a number of choices at any given time.” Just keep in mind - this is still early days for in-car integration of new technology. See the release here.

From todays "NOW" daily newsletter:

Ipsos MediaCT VP Thomas Spinelli reports that “the consumer isn't replacing existing services and products with new ones. Instead, they want them all - making the car even more music-enabled with a number of choices at any given time.” Just keep in mind - this is still early days for in-car integration of new technology. See the release here.

In the last few months I have felt the earth shifting on its axis and earth tremors are in our lives.

Atlanta has been the "poster child" of communities that turn their back of public transportation. The personal car is the token "god" of the metro area. But about 6 or 8 months ago I began noticing that on the business page when they wrote up purchases of commercial office buildings or the announcement of a new construction project that involved the darling of today.... "mixed use".... there was what has become the mandatory sentence in such announcements: "This site was chosen because of its access to the MARTA rail transportation.

The big announcement is that Mercedes-Benz is moving their North American corporate headquarters to the Atlanta area. Now, don't let it slip out of your mind, but M-B is in the AUTOMOBILE business. And the site where they will build their corporate campus is very, very near a passenger rail system because many of their employees will want to use public transportation to get to and from work. [Let that one soak in for a while!]

The business pages are full of accounts that "The Millennials" are NOT car centric. The ones that are in demand by the big companies have good educations... which means they have hellacious student loan debt. The last thing they want is to have to borrow money to buy a car. They are looking for employment in places where they can live a variation of what I refer to as "New York City" life style. Walk to the store. Walk to the deli. Walk to the subway station, Walk the neighborhood for exercise. Give me a community near a park, near a walking trail. (My oldest daughter spent seven years in NYC following college.) Everywhere she has lived since then, she attempts to implement as much of the NYC Life Style as possible.)

Another Atlanta story: Big news a few years ago when NCR moved from their city of location in Ohio for over 100 years to Atlanta. They set up shop in a suburban location. Their new announcement is that they have acquired space in the center of Atlanta, across the expressway from the Georgian Tech campus and guess what... it just happens to be close to TWO rail stations. Explanation: In order to hire the brightest and the best of young talent, they want this in-town walk here and walk there lifestyle.

It will take a few years for this trend to be built out, but maybe the Ipsos Media CT group is "whistling as they walk through the graveyard on a dark night."

We did a "poice blotter" on the morning news every day. His instructions to me: If the mayor's son were arrested for a serious traffic violation.... it goes on the morning news just like anybody else. AND/BUT, it does not bvecome your lead story. It goes in the police blotter in it's regular place in the news.

The boss was in a traffic accident one day. Not seriously injured. Sitting in a hospital wheel chair he gave me the usual facts we gleaned from police accident reports... hs full name, his age, etc. After he had all that straight then we talked about how he was feeling (not for the news!).

When I had MY ACCIDENT which resulted in the death of a person, before he held my hand and asked me how I felt, he gleaned from ME the usual info we would put into a news story on such an incident. Then he took the time to talk about how I was feeling.

One of his foundational rules: Do not accept an annonymous tip from someone if it came with the restriction "that you must not tell anyone". if you are able later to glean that information from some other source.... now you are bound by the promise not to tell.

His only agenda: I want to beat the newspaper on every story. You better have it on the air before I read it in the paper. And I expect the facts to be right.

Small town stations still run their news departments like this. At least the ones I've been involved with. Plenty of good people still in the radio news business.

Funny thing is, a situation like you described came up for us recently. We handled it exactly as you described. I'm not a news guy, but I did address the story, said we weren't going to have gossip hour on the phones, then moved on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom