• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL #1 Hits A-Z

AM/FMRAINMAN

Frequent Participant
Its actually nice hearing good music for once on this station. I love the late 80s music that is being played on this countdown. But as soon as Tuesday rolls around, it will be back to same 60s motown music they have played for about 30 years, the same 70s music and a few 80s cuts. They need to progress and increase their 80s playlist and 80s music per hour.

To me. Ben is nothing more than a ipod on shuffle with commercials. I would like WOGL to play the same 80s music Ben plays, but with the same presentation they have on the station now with the "Personality DJ's". Their music now is stale.

Fair enough...and to some of us, the whole personality thing is stale.

I knew WOGL would revert back to playing the same stale 60s motown songs. I don't get it. There are a lot of great 80s r&b songs they can play and retire their 60s motown. They could play Bobby Brown, New Edition, Gregory Abbott, Whitney Houston, Jermaine Stewart, Oran Juice Jones, Peabo Bryson, Jeffrey Osborne, James Ingram, Cameo etc. They are just so hung up on the playing the same songs they have played for 30 years.

They could also play British Invasion, Surf, Garage, Instrumentals, teen idols, female singers and many other NON SOUL/RHYTHMIC tunes, why do you always want Soul music and nothing else???

This was in reference, because they no longer play surf music, garage rock, british invasion(unless its the Beatles or the Stones). All they seem to play is 60s motown and I was just saying they could be playing 80s r&b instead of 60s motown. They have been playing it for 30 years and used to be ok...but it is soo overplayed and stale now. If they played the above 80s music, they would def attract an younger audience.

They didn't play 80s music 30 years ago because it was the 80s - and they were/are an oldies station.

If you don't like the music, don't listen. There is plenty of 80s music available elsewhere.

Many people like "the music they grew up with." They music OGL plays is what Boomers grew up with. Just because it's not your music doesn't mean it's "overplayed and stale." Some day, 30 years from now, you'll still like 80s music and people younger than you will complain about it.

They didn't play 80s music 30 years ago because it was the 80s...

(Actually 98 *was* playing '80s music 30 years ago.)

Now that I'm done being a smartass, I'll say it's still astounding that after two decades of radio message boards-- some folks remain convinced these once-hugely relevant stations exist purely to be their own "personal Pandora."

Fred Leonard nails it. To add, most Americans' hit-music "vocabulary" stops growing around the time they turn 30. And it's already slowed down by about 25. Please notice the hedge word "most." For a man, take the year of his high school graduation. Subtract ten. Note the year, then add 15. There you go. For the rest of his life, chances are the base of his hit-music comfort zone will consists of records from that 15-year window. (For a woman subtract six, then add 18.)

The grass is always greener. It's funny hearing a WOGL listener/complainer making the KRTH comparison. I frequently heard folks from L.A. whine about the station's insanely-tight 250-song playlist, and yearn for Oldies 98. Both seems to continue doing well for the company.

It's my understanding WOGL indeed *is* playing some of the artists Rainman listed, particularly Whitney Houston and Jeffrey Osbourne. Not so much with the others. And that's simply because Houston and Osbourne test well with the same audience that likes hearing Motown's dozen biggest hits and "Brown Eyed Girl" every four hours. Oran "Juice" Jones? Fewer than 1% of WOGL's audience would even recognize the name. And "The Rain"-- while a decent song-- was not a big Top-40 radio hit in Philadelphia. On Power 99FM and perhaps WDAS-FM sure. But not that much on WCAU-FM and certainly not Z/Electric/Eagle 106. Guess what? "The Rain" has found a home on Radio One's 100.3, which *is* playing the artists on that list. And it's a station listened largely by that underserved audience here that did grow up with Power 99FM and WDAS-FM. Makes total sense. I imagine 100.3 is also playing Cameo (at least "Candy" or "Word Up"), though admittedly I've yet to hear it. (I don't much listen to the remnants of terrestrial radio.)

Rainman will likely get his wish with regard to WOGL as Boomers continue to age out of the station's target. Then he'll be able to hear Harvey Holiday talk up "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off."

For a man, take the year of his high school graduation. Subtract ten. Note the year, then add 15. There you go. For the rest of his life, chances are the base of his hit-music comfort zone will consists of records from that 15-year window.

I don't know how you came up with this formula but I did the math using my own personal tastes and I can tell you that you are...

...exactly spot-on.

I am just saying if you look at all of the other CBS Classic Hits Station, they are playing at most 1 60s song an hour.
Khits in Chicago and Sunny 105.9 in Orlando are playing 1 60s song every other hour. WCBS in NY, Krth in Los Angeles, Kluv
in Dallas, WRBQ in Tampa and Kool fm in Phoenix are all playing only 1 60s song an hour. I was just wondering the reason WOGL has not followed suit. Btw, I do like 60s music, just not the same 60s song they have been playing for 27 years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom