• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMEL-HD2 record player broken?

On KMEL-HD2 I keep hearing the same 20 second loop from Eminem & Rihanna singing "The Monster" on repeat all week like a broken record. Whats happening?

Quick! Someone mark this day on the calendar! A documented HD-2 listener! They DO exist! Get Bob Struble on the phone, right now!

Sorry, no clue what's happening, but you might try calling the station.

Well, Bob wouldn't know what to do even if I had called him, because he's the CEO of the company that designed and licenses "HD Radio" technology, not anyone at KMEL. What I said was more a commentary on how poorly his company is doing, because the general public doesn't care about "HD Radio."

But I'm glad it got fixed for you. At least someone's listening.

Seems to me the issue here should be "why wasn't anyone at THE STATION listening?" It's their responsibility to make sure what goes out "on the air" is as it should be. I've heard similar incidents in my area, especially on weekends; one station broadcasting a satellite company's message about where to call about reception problems (backed by "on-hold" music) for a couple days; another acting as an unofficial/unauthorized repeater of WTMJ for most of a weekend. In both cases this was caused by switches left open after carrying a sports remote. (A similar case at another station resulted in a NASCAR race being broadcast with an overlay of Sinatra-type music.)

The point is, if no one at the station gives a ratzass what they're broadcasting, why should they care if nobody's listening? This isn't about who likes what kind of music, or who does or doesn't like talk or whatever. It's about making sure that whatever you're sending out there is done the right way; because no one should have to sit still for butchered broadcasting.

I should perhaps clarify that none of the stations mentioned in my post operate HD signals; in fact no one in this area is broadcasting HD. These extended gaffes went out on their main, one, and only signals (two AM's and one FM.) Which is worse?

Your situation is definitely worse. If no one's listening to the main signal, that's a complete and total breach of their responsibility to the public trust. But, then, that's the industry for you these days.

Well, it happened again. Yesterday one of the local AM's broadcast nothing but a "beep" tone for over three hours before anyone noticed something was wrong. (I thought about phoning them, but if they don't give a damn any more, why should I?)

"KMEL-HD2 record player broken?"

First, a record playing at 33 1/3 rpm would repeat every 1.8 seconds approximately.

Second of all, I used to listen to HD Radio (especially KFOG's HD-2), until I lost the radio. Yes, I do want to get another radio, but not until I move out of my current apartment (due to the fact that the building is built with steel threfore hetting poor radio reception.

When I hear gaffes like these, I usually listen to them to see what happens. )Guess I'm weird...LOL)

I have a question regarding HD radio: Why are HD channels generally commercial free? Is it because so few people listen to them it's hardly worth playing commercials?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding HD radio: Why are HD channels generally commercial free? Is it because so few people listen to them it's hardly worth playing commercials?

That has been addressed here before and IIRC the reason is they would have to pay for the talent multiple times - once on the primary signal and again on each HD signal. Given the very low number of HD listeners and the fact that very few, if any, HD signals are rated it doesn't make financial sense. I have noticed lately that the several HD signals in my market are now playing commercials although nowhere near the number as on the primary. That is kind of like when FM began. No commercials at first then some then more and more.

It's too bad HD hasn't caught on. A few years ago, I needed a replacement stereo for my aging Mazda. I checked prices, and the HD models were only about $20 more than the equivalent stereos without HD. I really enjoyed it...until it was stolen from my car. KOIT had a great Oldies stream, which included a lot of songs you wouldn't hear on short playlist FM Classic Hits stations. Even though I'm not particularly a country music fan, I enjoyed the classic country hits on The Wolf HD2, including Hank Williams (Senior) and even Gene Autry on occasion.

It's too bad HD hasn't caught on. A few years ago, I needed a replacement stereo for my aging Mazda. I checked prices, and the HD models were only about $20 more than the equivalent stereos without HD. I really enjoyed it...until it was stolen from my car. KOIT had a great Oldies stream, which included a lot of songs you wouldn't hear on short playlist FM Classic Hits stations. Even though I'm not particularly a country music fan, I enjoyed the classic country hits on The Wolf HD2, including Hank Williams (Senior) and even Gene Autry on occasion.

Loved KOIT's oldies channel. Are they still doing it?

Unfortunately, the HD's in Sacramento are less desirable. Quite a few are just simulcasts of a AM sister station.

Loved KOIT's oldies channel. Are they still doing it?

Unfortunately, the HD's in Sacramento are less desirable. Quite a few are just simulcasts of a AM sister station.

I know of several markets that wont re-reimburse their CE to install an HD radio in his/her vehicle. Kind of sad when you think about it that the engineer has to purchase his own radio to monitor his cluster while on the road.

Clear Channel...KMEL 106.1...HD-2...Clear Channel...KMEL 106.1...HD-2...Clear Channel...KMEL 106.1...HD-2...Clear Channel...KMEL 106.1...HD-2.
I believe I am beginning to see a pattern here. 😄

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom