• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

“There will be some slowdown in adoption of HD Radio in other GM brands.” Tom Taylor

KB1OKL

Star Participant
More ibiquity spin:

"Yesterday’s “Dashboard Wars” lead story here develops along the lines we discovered, thanks to a reader’s tip about the GMAuthority website. iBiquity’s Joe D’Angelo – perhaps surprised by our inquiry – had told NOW that “the Chevrolet Traverse may not include our technology for a period of time.” By yesterday, he had more to tell Radio World’s Leslie Stimson - that “while HD Radio receivers remain in all Cadillac models, there will be some slowdown in adoption with other GM brands for a period of time.”

Haha! I wonder if that means like forever? This latest news kind of begs the question "Is the belated death of HD finally starting to happen"? I think so and I think we knew that all the time it was just a matter of time didn't we?

more at:

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=78b390ff9f5b002e3f050238c&id=c292997f87&e=8a3d8a4de0

This is the spin from Inside Radio:

"GM’s HD Radio hits a speed bump."

"Automakers are racing to get new internet technologies into their dashboards. For General Motors, that means some models won’t have digital radio technology until at least the 2015 model year. The issue is with the dashboard head units which GM gets from an outside supplier that hasn’t yet installed HD Radio"

The story changes from mag to mag for the reasons GM is dumping HD, who woulda thunk it? I'm not able to read the whole article as I'm not a subscriber.

http://insideradio.com/

Last edited:
If you read the article, it says the problem is with an outside supplier, not GM. Could be one of the suppliers that is having legal problems with iBiquity.

If you read the article, it says the problem is with an outside supplier, not GM. Could be one of the suppliers that is having legal problems with iBiquity.

Yes but if you read all the articles written about GM's dropping of HD you will see a different explanation in every one of them and they are all vague and inconclusive, in other words Stroob-bull. Obviously GM is dropping it because of all the many complaints they've received, check out GM's forums for HD radio complaints, there's a pile of them. In one for GMC trucks ibiquity said the problem is with the antenna lead, a different BS excuse from ibiquity in every venue. They haven't gotten their story straight yet.

Last edited:
But the question then becomes: what is the financial incentive for GM to once again increase their costs by buying HD-capable front ends when the consumers aren't demanding it? I mean, I dunno about you, but I sure as heck haven't seen any uproar on social media... or traditional media... or anywhere, really, for that matter... that new car buyers won't be able to receive their precious "stations between the stations" anymore. This is literally one big "who the hell cares?" moment for anyone outside the radio industry, and even then, most of us don't give a damn. GM's goal is to put out the best possible product, meet consumer demand, and do it at the best price point while still being able to make a profit. HD may or may not be the best possible produ-- oh, who am I kidding? It's not. It's not being demanded by the consumer, and it only raises costs. So... why bother? Why put it back in now that it's gone "for a period of time" and no one will have noticed?

But the question then becomes: what is the financial incentive for GM to once again increase their costs by buying HD-capable front ends when the consumers aren't demanding it?

Using that logic, are consumers "demanding" AM? I'd suggest next on the chopping block will be AM.

Using that logic, are consumers "demanding" AM? I'd suggest next on the chopping block will be AM.

I would agree. I've said it before: AM is dead. It just doesn't know it yet. There are a handful of listeners still tuning in, but the talk formats are moving to FM pretty quickly, and music is a losing proposition given the pathetic sound quality and disastrous interference. It'll be the next to go, and it won't be long from now.

I would agree. I've said it before: AM is dead. It just doesn't know it yet. There are a handful of listeners still tuning in, but the talk formats are moving to FM pretty quickly, and music is a losing proposition given the pathetic sound quality and disastrous interference. It'll be the next to go, and it won't be long from now.

Do you see the AMs that are still being listened to -- Boston's WBZ, Hartford's WTIC and New York's WCBS, for example -- moving to FM and letting the AM blowtorch go dark or leased ethnic/God-fraudcasting, or simulcasting 100 percent on FM, or moving local programming to FM and letting the AM run syndicated programming? And when these elderly-skewing formats move to FM, do young listeners (and youth-chasing advertisers) suddenly take an interest in angry-old-white-guy radio, or will they have to move away from news/talk entirely and join the AC/CHR/Rhythmic/Country (and in some markets, tropical/Mexican) rat race?

Well, the angry-old-white-guy format is dying out even among the OLDER listeners, so I don't see that lasting too much longer on either band. But there's certainly room for spoken-word formats that could attract existing listeners on FM. A lot of niche and local programming will make its way back to the FM dial, and the 25-54 demographic will go for it in decreasing numbers, because even FM -- which isn't going anywhere anytime soon, mind you -- is losing listeners, too, including the music formats. But think of AM as the next shortwave. Yes, a lot of brokered programming, foreign-language stuff, a lot of religious stuff (Brother Stair will probably be re-running broadcasts long after his casket is buried). But even then, it's just going to be a wasteland of noise. Eventually, owners will shut off the transmitters because it's just not worth it anymore, the licenses will get turned in, and it'll be a wasteland of silence. FM, on the other hand, has another renaissance coming before it goes the same route, though. It's still got a drawing factor: live and local content. All this cost-cutting and syndication is going to drive The Big Boys™ right out of business. They know it, they just want to milk the cow dry. National programming will have its place -- it always has -- but the stations that truly thrive are going to be those that get involved in their community again. WBZ, WTIC, WCBS and stations like them... they all have serious adjustments to make, but they have the brands and the presence to make that transition to FM and back into relevancy. It's going to sound unlike anything they're doing now, but they can make it work. Whether or not they will... hard to say.

But there's certainly room for spoken-word formats that could attract existing listeners on FM. A lot of niche and local programming will make its way back to the FM dial, and the 25-54 demographic will go for it in decreasing numbers, because even FM -- which isn't going anywhere anytime soon, mind you -- is losing listeners, too, including the music formats.

Niche programming isn't attracting the audiences that mass formats are getting, like country, pop, and urban.

Niche programming that fits into those formats will. And like I said, nothing is going to attract the audiences that they're attracting even today. People are tuning out AM and FM and turning to the Internet. Niche programming is the best way to capitalize on those who are willing to stick around.

People are tuning out AM and FM and turning to the Internet. Niche programming is the best way to capitalize on those who are willing to stick around.

But when they tune in to the internet, they choose OTA stations. Not the niche online stations.

The problem isn't the content, but the device.

No, when they tune into the Internet, they choose Pandora. Or other similar options. iHeart has decent numbers, but more listeners are choosing from the thousands of other streams, podcasts, and pure play audio services than they are streaming traditional AM and FM stations. And it is because of the content, don't let the industry sell you that delusion. Enormous stop sets, no localism, no personalities, no audience interaction, the same 200 songs, 40 of which get driven into the ground with 70-100+ spins every week... people don't like radio anymore. The device is secondary. They went to the device because radio wasn't giving them what they wanted. Never question that.

No, when they tune into the Internet, they choose Pandora.

According to their own data, people check out Pandora to hear a handful of songs on their own station. So the way they use Pandora is more like the way they'd access an iPod if people still downloaded songs. Pandora is killing iTunes, not streaming radio. That's why Apple had to merge with Beats.

And it is because of the content, don't let the industry sell you that delusion.

The "industry" isn't selling me anything. I can read the statistics. Users like certain songs, and that's what they listen to. They're searching for curated music lists to help them sort through the tonnage of musical clutter out there. That's what OTA radio does for them, and why, even with all the choices, they choose OTA streams more than all the other "Live365" stations. Not a single one of those stations comes anywhere near close the numbers of the streaming OTAs.

Enormous stop sets, no localism, no personalities, no audience interaction, the same 200 songs,

Where's the localism on Pandora? Name the personalities on Pandora. Name one. Tell me about audience interaction on Pandora. If Pandora is what the people want, then you're telling me they don't want localism, personalities, or audience interaction. And as for the number of songs, the key thing they're looking for is help to sort through the clutter. They hear the hits on OTA, then build their own station with the songs they hear, and listen to them over and over. Survey after survey proves it.

Last edited:
According to their own data, people check out Pandora to hear a handful of songs on their own station. So the way they use Pandora is more like the way they'd access an iPod if people still downloaded songs. Pandora is killing iTunes, not streaming radio. That's why Apple had to merge with Beats.
Well, for one thing, Apple didn't have to do anything, but that's not the reason they bought beats (not merged) even if they were in financial trouble. They bought Beats because A: it's the perfect brand to pair with the iOS devices, and B: Apple is increasingly a hardware company, not a software company. They've made OS X available for next to no money and have even publicly stated that they don't care if people just download it illegally (because it's basically a modified version of Debian, anyway, which is open source). They may be losing money on iTunes, but that's not where the income was coming from in the first place, anyway. They sell hardware and "cool." That's why they bought Beats, which is an example of both.

As for Pandora, their TSL isn't much better than broadcast radio, but the difference is that they're getting more content in that time than broadcast radio offers them, and that's why it's eating into radio, not iTunes. Do you know where most Pandora listening comes from? Mobile devices. You know why? People put it on in their cars, the supposed last safe haven for captive listening to AM and FM. They turn on the car, pull up the Pandora app and off they go. And when they turn off the car, off Pandora goes. That's why most listeners only listen to a few songs at a time: Pandora has replaced AM and FM in the car.

The "industry" isn't selling me anything. I can read the statistics. Users like certain songs, and that's what they listen to. They're searching for curated music lists to help them sort through the tonnage of musical clutter out there. That's what OTA radio does for them, and why, even with all the choices, they choose OTA streams more than all the other "Live365" stations. Not a single one of those stations comes anywhere near close the numbers of the streaming OTAs.
Traditional radio offers curated music lists, yes, but not curated music lists tailored to the tastes of each listener, which is what they demand, and which is why they're leaving in droves for pure play digital.

Live365? What year are you stuck in, 2001? They haven't been a player in streaming for years. But independent streams listed through TuneIn and iTunes and various other directories? They're gaining numbers every day. Small numbers for each of them, sure, but that's because there are so many of them. The more successful streams are offering multiple formats for similar tastes through one hub. Sites like di.fm and 1.fm, which have very strong listener numbers, very few ads (only one or two every hour last I was listening to 1.fm) and a much broader, less top-40-intense clock that people tend to prefer when the insane rotations of today's hit-centric FM stations wear them out. Which, judging by the shrinking TSL of most of those FM stations, is becoming more and more often. All independent streams combined EASILY outrank the listeners traditional radio's streams are getting. Easily. It's not even a contest.

Where's the localism on Pandora? Name the personalities on Pandora. Name one. Tell me about audience interaction on Pandora. If Pandora is what the people want, then you're telling me they don't want localism, personalities, or audience interaction.
I didn't say that Pandora had to be local to be successful, I said that traditional radio has lost it's localism, and that's why it is failing. Don't try to confuse yourself with things I didn't say. People who want local content and personalities get it elsewhere. They've had to, because they're sure as hell not getting it from radio. In order to work, radio has to be local, personal and involved in the community. It is none of those things anymore, which is why people are tuning out. They tune to Pandora to get the music that they don't want to have to put up with 8 minutes of commercials in a row and idiotic claims of "MORE MUSIC THAN ANYONE ELSE!" between every song. They go to TV and TV station web sites -- or even independent local news sites -- for local content and community interaction. And much of it today is social media-driven, something radio STILL, after all these years, has not figured out how to use properly, save for maybe a handful of stations that see a spike every once in a while because they grabbed a viral picture or video from somewhere else and shared it, which isn't really what people want from a radio station online, it's just the luck of the draw on who gets the most clicks for viral content.

And as for the number of songs, the key thing they're looking for is help to sort through the clutter. They hear the hits on OTA, then build their own station with the songs they hear, and listen to them over and over. Survey after survey proves it.
No, they're hearing the hits on YouTube via social media, not traditional radio. Which begs the question: surveys from whom? Nielsen? The NAB? The industry rags? Yeah, those are real trustworthy.

The point is, there are different platforms that each type of content works better on, and radio isn't any of them anymore.

As for Pandora, their TSL isn't much better than broadcast radio, but the difference is that they're getting more content in that time than broadcast radio offers them, and that's why it's eating into radio, not iTunes.

Actually Pandora's TSL is far WORSE than OTA. ATSL is about a hour, while ATSL for OTA is 3 hours.

Pandora has replaced AM and FM in the car.

Source?

Traditional radio offers curated music lists, yes, but not curated music lists tailored to the tastes of each listener, which is what they demand, and which is why they're leaving in droves for pure play digital.

Statistically, only a small percentage of the population "demands" individual music lists. The vast majority, about 85%, are quite content to listen to whatever's popular in their particular genre. And we see no evidence at all of people "leaving in droves."

I didn't say that Pandora had to be local to be successful, I said that traditional radio has lost it's localism, and that's why it is failing.

But the facts are that traditional radio is still, for the most part, locally staffed and programmed. Sure there are exceptions, and ironically, the exceptions happen to be the most popular. But every part of this country has access to live and local radio if that's what the they want. Every town, including yours, has local staffs who engage with their listeners personally at station-organized happy hours or listener-appreciation events. I know because I've been to them.

The point is, there are different platforms that each type of content works better on, and radio isn't any of them anymore.

You're talking about yourself, and that's fine. You don't like radio because it doesn't play the type of music you like any more. But don't speak for the other 250 million people who are quite satisfied with the song selection, with the local or national personalities, and the dependability of the transmission system.

You've quite obviously bought into the industry line. And that's fine, but it's all a bunch of bologna. If you want to believe it, fine, but you're entirely wrong, and there's plenty out there that proves it if you'd so much as look.

You've quite obviously bought into the industry line. And that's fine, but it's all a bunch of bologna. If you want to believe it, fine, but you're entirely wrong, and there's plenty out there that proves it if you'd so much as look.

You obviously don't like radio, so anything anyone else says is "the industry line." If you want to cite sources, I'd be happy to read. Just don't waste my time with all the "corporate radio sux" blogs, because I've already seen them.

Last edited:
You obviously don't like radio, so anything anyone else says is "the industry line."
Your assertion is both wrong and ignorant. If you take away from anything that I've said that I don't like radio, you have no clue what radio even is. But then, industry patriots generally don't. They focus on the transmission method as the key rather than the content. You've demonstrated that quite often in our discussions.

If you want to cite sources, I'd be happy to read. Just don't waste my time with all the "corporate radio sux" blogs, because I've already seen them.
If you actually bothered to read the citations in a few of those blogs, you'd find sources that are far more credible than anything the industry spin machine puts out. God forbid someone challenge the word of the very liars who took radio into this nosedive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom