• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for Soft Rock Stations

oldiesgirl

Frequent Participant
Are there still very many stations that are playing actual soft rock as it sounded in the 90s rather than the more today's pop oriented music AC stations are playing now? I don't mind if they play some of today's music, but most of the current music is not pleasant to my ears, and I just want to hear soft rock. So far I've found 95.9 the Oasis from California, although I can't remember the call letters.

Re: Soft Rock Stations

Are there still very many stations that are playing actual soft rock as it sounded in the 90s rather than the more today's pop oriented music AC stations are playing now? I don't mind if they play some of today's music, but most of the current music is not pleasant to my ears, and I just want to hear soft rock. So far I've found 95.9 the Oasis from California, although I can't remember the call letters.

These are some streams I listen to that play the older version of the format

Soft N Easy Net Radio
www.softneasy.com

Lite 99 WLTB-DB
www.lite99online.com

Joy 99.5
www.joy995.com

Oops

Sorry for the duplicates. Got impatient waiting for my reply to post.

Posting as an unregistered guest means there is no guarantee that your post will even be approved (regardless of the content), or that it will appear in a timely manner. If you want to participate it is best to register as a member. It is free to join and your post will appear right away.

Oldiesgirl. The Station you are referring to is KAJR Indian Wells CA in the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley Market. It was originally Jack FM when it first came on but changed when KWXY left FM 98.5 (now KDES) and went to 1340 AM. That Station is now on a translator at 107.3 I believe they are on the internet but their format is beautiful music oriented.

How about KVIB 95.1 Sun City West, AZ? "95.1 The Oasis" with Soft AC. Just flipped a few weeks ago. Heard some rare 1980s love songs on there, great playlist for a big market. Hope they last more than a few months!
KQEZ 106.3 Idaho Falls ID sounds good as well...
I REALLY enjoy the Soft AC/AAA/Smooth Jazz/Smooth R&B mixture of KSRW 92.5 Independence, CA. I've heard songs from 1964 up to the early 2010s, with a LOT of 1990s album cuts and rare 1980s soft rock. Unfortunately the stream is 16kbps mono s--t. But I still listen to it. It's on tunein. Sounded like 94.7 The Wave in Los Angeles, when they just began around 1988-90 - with newer songs now obviously. But NO Katy Perry, Adele, etc. on there. I hope to god they NEVER go satellite AC on Bishop instead. That probably won't happen however.

-crainbebo

Follow-up about Love 2 Love station

Some examples are Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Leona Lewis, Adele. I mostly like Soft AC oldies but am ok with some current music selections mixed in.

There's plenty of radio stations with that era of music.

WMJX in Boston

WSRS in Worchester

WLTW in New York

WMGQ in New Brunswick, NJ

WRNQ in Poughkeepsie

KOST in LA

WJXA in Nashville

WNNS in Springfield, IL

KODA in Houston

WLNK

WLKN

WNIC

WLEV

KBIG

WTVR

WASH

WHOM

WWLI

WOOD/SRW

KVIL

KKCW

KKMG

WSUS

and also you can check iHeartRadio custom stations in which include all 90's tunes.

Hope the list helps some.

Lawrence

What city are you looking in?

I wouldn't include WNIC in that list. They've rotated back to more of an AC format, but still much 'poppier' than the station was in the past.

KBIG, WLTW, WLNK and WJXA shouldn't be on that list.

WLNK I know for sure is Hot AC, though they mix in some older soft rock too.

I've been hearing for a long time that KBIG is also Hot AC.

WLTW has long been shown as an example of the stations that aren't playing AC the way it used to be. I have been seeing that they're adding some softer songs back in, or at least they have been playing those softer songs.

Unless WJXA has made a significant change, it too is one of those contemporary-sounding stations. But it has been a while since I looked at their playlist.

KBIG has been Hot AC for many years. So has "The Link" in Charlotte on 107.9. I hate any AC that is "KISS-FM Lite" because it's a carbon copy of the same dull 30 hits that are on CHRs, with some dull 80s and 00s songs to add to it. There's only enough times I'll hear "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper or "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins before I change it.

-crainbebo

Re: Soft Rock Stations

Some more stations I recommend for the old version of the soft rock format:

WJPT Sunny 106.3 (Florida)
WEZW Easy 93.1 (New Jersey)
WEZV (Myrtle Beach)
WDUV (Tampa, Florida)
WFEZ (Miami, Florida)
WLRS (Kentucky)
WLIX (Long Island, New York)
Litemontgomery.com
Heartbeatfm.net
Loveradiousa.com
SM95online.com
Radio Qupid www.streamlicensing.com/directory/index.cgi?sid=2991

Sorry all, I was possibly thinking of different eras of these stations. I highly agree with crainbebo, but wont get into my 'complain mode' :)

Lawrence

Can anyone provide an uncontested, universally agreed upon description of what constitutes "soft" rock? I'm looking for a set of characteristics that anyone can use to evaluate a song they're hearing for the first time that conclusively determines if that song is "soft" rock or not.

Are acoustic "unplugged" versions of hard rock songs soft? Are power ballads soft? Are there uptempo soft songs?

info about soft rock

Information about soft rock: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_rock

I don't think this is what Avid Listener is looking for, but anything by Lady Gaga or Katy Perry would not be soft rock. Those are the usual artists listed as making an AC sound Hot AC. "Moves Like Jagger" to be is another song that disqualifies a station, and anything by Nickelback. "We Belong" would be the only Pat Benatar song in a soft rock format. I'm also going to say anything by John Cougar Mellencamp other than "Small Town" and "Charry Bomb".

I did hear "Just the Way You Are" Bruno Mars on the Muzak (I have been told this is the company they use) at my usual grocery store, even though that was once given as an example of a song that made an AC seem like Hot AC. But that music is most definitely soft rock even if some individual songs seem kind of off the wall. They also play "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley and "Your Love" by The Outfield, which I would have said were songs that didn't work.

K-104.7 Charlotte NC has gone over the line, though people will still try to claim their new sound isn't Hot AC, but "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac and "Kiss on My List" by Hall and Oates do show up. They just sound very strange.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom