• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pirate in Houston on 106.1 ?

RadioFaninTexas

Regular Participant
I noticed for the past few days, there's obviously a pirate broadcasting oldies music (Mono only. Not in strereo) on 106.1. You can hear it easily on the west side near Memorial City and very spotty near The Galleria. I listened in today and it's just dead air. Anyone else notice this station recently?

I believe it's K291CE-FM 106.1 Rosenberg. They have been testing with oldies for a few weeks now. Decent signal west of the beltway and south of I-10.

Oldies music? This sounds interesting.
I wonder if some people are starting to like the station. When it switches to regular programming, I hope they aren't too disappointed.

I'm hearing (the apparent) K291CE with a fair signal in mono at my Cy-Fair location.

Radio-Locator has this as a translator for KGLK. Of course, this could mean it becomes a rebroadcast of KGLK's HD2 channel, which is oldies.

Still waiting for any sign of K254BZ on 98.7 in NW Harris County (licensed to Fairbanks.)

From their app:
"Exhibit 10
Description: FM FILL IN TRANSLATOR

K291CE PROPOSES TO ACT AS A FILL IN TRANSLATOR FOR THE HD-3 PROGRAMMING ON FM STATION KGLK AT LAKE JACKSON, TEXAS AND THEREFORE, QUALIFIES AS A FILL IN TRANSLATOR. PLEASE SEE MAP IN ATTACHMENT 13 FOR PROPOSED K291CE 60 DBU VERSUS 60 DBU CONTOUR OF KGLK."

KGLK HD-3 is currently NOAA Weather Radio.

From RadioInsight:
"Primera Iglesia Evangelica de Apostoles y Progfeta’s 106.1 K291CE Rosenberg, TX has been sold to The RAFFT Corporation for $100,000, a $50,000 time brokerage agreement, and providing the seller with a replacement translator for no cost. The sale comes after K291CE applies to increase to 250 watts at 463 meters to expand its coverage of Houston and its southwestern suburbs. It will rebroadcast Cox Media’s 107.5 KGLK-HD3 Lake Jackson."

Perhaps something new is coming to KGLK HD3 to replace NOAA?

Wonder if anyone in the Houston market will launch a HD4? There are a few of them elsewhere.

Punching in last night, it was carrying the same audio (Fort Bend ISD sports) as KBRZ 1480 and K236AR 95.1 Missouri City. I forgot to punch into KGLK HD-3 when I got home last night, but if I still hear NOAA there, my hunch is the translator owner may have put KGLK on the app but they are going to be a fill in for KBRZ instead.

The new station on 106.1 is now running announcements and commercials amongst the oldies music. They are calling themselves "K-Breeze 106.1 FM" and saying that they are "centered on the family." The promo goes on to say that listeners can have their six-year-old listen with them and not worry about any of the lyrics (sort of reminds me of the "Safe for the whole family" slogan KLTY in DFW uses.) Also promoting broadcasts of varsity high school sports. Appears they are trying to be a sort of hometown station for Fort Bend County.

Lots of 60's through 80's music with an apparent emphasis on the 70's. Lots of tunes I haven't heard played anywhere on the radio in years--actually rather enjoyable. Audio still needs some tweaking; sounds somewhat overdriven with too much bass.

Don't know what the "originating station" might be. A very brief check on the HD radio in my wife's car had KGLK HD3 still running NOAA weather radio, with the usual oldies on HD2 (not the same as 106.1.)

Not convinced that what we're hearing now is the final format.

From the promos this will be mostly Fortbend Sports and the rest of the time could be classic music. Tonight I did a range test I started at 610 & MLK it is listenable with static 288 and 610 signal gets strong and louder still some static Stella Link and West Bellfort full signal and still a little static

From the promos this will be mostly Fortbend Sports and the rest of the time could be classic music. Tonight I did a range test I started at 610 & MLK it is listenable with static 288 and 610 signal gets strong and louder still some static Stella Link and West Bellfort full signal and still a little static

Jersey Village very weak - up 290 towards Cypress rapidly increasing signal - Tuckerton out to Fry almost perfect. Funny thing is - they bill themselves as family friendly, but they played the "funky sh_t" version of Big Old Jet Airliner - instead of the usual broadcast version that substituted "funky kicks" for "funky sh_t". A song after their promo that you don't have to worry about words in songs that your 6 year old daughter and 5 year old son will hear on K-Breeze. Oops!

Seriously - it sounds like they are trying to do something similar to what the Mesquite, TX school district is doing on KEOM. They had a real commercial for State Farm Insurance. With no originating station - they are way outside what a translator is allowed to do.

This morning it was getting beat up pretty badly by KTTX Brenham. From Katy, I was getting a pretty strong signal. I did notice that it sounds like it is broadcasting in mono, and only one channel. They played "Good Lovin" by the Rascals and some oldies like that play with left and right channels - the one channel mono was very apparent.

KGLK was still playing NOAA weather on HD-3.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom