• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

the apple did have a rock and alternative station at least for a few days..

My buddie who lives in Queens said for the past week, WMMR and WRFF were coming in loud and clear with HD in his section of Bayside Queens. I guess it was good to have two Rock oriented formats even though for a short time. Its sad when you have to pick something good up 100 miles away because your one-sided bias city will not put on formats for one type of listener. Now with this border problem, I guess there will be more non English stations popping up all over the dial to acomodate these illegals, and less Rock oriented formats for American born listeners.

Last edited:
Radio is a business. If a rock oriented format was profitable in NY then a radio station owner would be playing that format here. I don't get why this is so hard for people to understand.

Profitable

Radio is a business. If a rock oriented format was profitable in NY then a radio station owner would be playing that format here. I don't get why this is so hard for people to understand.

Rock is profitable. No one has the balls to bring Rock back to NYC. Cumulus had the balls to bring Country back. It's not doing fantastic, but they're improving! Why not bring Rock back? We have ENOUGH CHR's and Hot A/Cs! Everything on the radio is female oriented in NYC!

In addition to the above post, what I don't get is why bother with OTA NYC radio when if you have a computer connection (and I think you do if you're posting here)-- why the heck not access the many streams (many from OTA stations) of good alt rock and adult alt rock stations from elsewhere???? In the LA market (where I live) to the NYC market (where I used to live) the homogenization of OTA radio is in full force. IOW most people (listeners) are MORONS!! They don't use radio the same way that radiofiles and music fans might use the medium. These people just don't care enough about hearing the variety of music that a real rock music fan needs and wants to hear!

In addition to the above post, what I don't get is why bother with OTA NYC radio when if you have a computer connection (and I think you do if you're posting here)-- why the heck not access the many streams (many from OTA stations) of good alt rock and adult alt rock stations from elsewhere???? In the LA market (where I live) to the NYC market (where I used to live) the homogenization of OTA radio is in full force. IOW most people (listeners) are MORONS!! They don't use radio the same way that radiofiles and music fans might use the medium. These people just don't care enough about hearing the variety of music that a real rock music fan needs and wants to hear!
Because the internet is not as reliable as over the air.

Because the internet is not as reliable as over the air.

Unreliable in what way? I have never had problems listening to a radio station either from the station's website or using the Tune In app on my phone. Besides, it's not like listening to a radio station is a matter of life and death.

Unreliable in what way? I have never had problems listening to a radio station either from the station's website or using the Tune In app on my phone. Besides, it's not like listening to a radio station is a matter of life and death.

The internet is a wonderful thing when you're standing still and have a strong wifi connection. The internet can be very frustrating in a moving car or with a slow connection.

I am sick and tired of always hearing, "you have the internet". What if I don't want to have a computer or phone device by my side at all times, what if I wanted to just have a regular AM/FM radio like it used to be, to be able to listen to a format I embrace. Why do these particular cultures have to have it THEIR way with music OTA, why don't they rely on the internet and give rock fans their dial preference. That is a dumb statement, the internet, what if the net goes down, so many things can go wrong, when radio is always available and dependable.

A hundred years ago buggy owners laughed at the broken down cars by the side of the road. "Get a horse," they cried. "its reliable, doesn't mind ruts and pot holes, only needs to be fed, not tuned and oil changed. Who needs this new-fangled technology that you have to crank up and can't use when its really cold?"

But then we got anti-freeze, paved roads, and automatic starters. Buggies gave way to the Model T and Packards and the paradigms changed.

So it is with the internet and all its accessories in relation to OTA radio..

Except that 94% of the public still uses it every day.

Yeah, 94% of those over the age of 40 probably. Teens don't listen to the radio nearly as much as we do / did. They have their "technological" ways.

Radio is a dying breed A. You can certainly tell, if only 400 songs get played over and over on that west coast station, but I won't venture into that argument again. I know what's right.

Yeah, 94% of those over the age of 40 probably. Teens don't listen to the radio nearly as much as we do / did.

Actually, as many teens listen now as did 40 years ago. Same percentage of total usage. You'd be surprised. As for the "400 songs" argument, that's what the majority of the people want. If they wanted unlimited playlists, those stations would get better ratings. As you know, they don't.

Ever notice hangman can't make a post on any topic without slipping in some crypto-racist dogwhistling?

"Wow"... there is that overused, misplaced and downright idiotic word "Racist" once again. I guess if you mention only the Southern border, not the Northern, its a racial act? I voted for Romney; I guess I am considered a racist in liberal America's eyes. I totally agree with TOP, why must the T-Dial cater to one ethnic, and deprive another, I am sure if the band was saturated with Rock formats, that would be, guess what, Racial programming.

Big A, could you cite your source on teens use of radio being the same percentage as in 1974?

Edison Research said this in 2010:

"In 2000, 74% of young adults, ages 12-24, listened to terrestrial radio. That percentage has sharply dwindled - as of 2010, only 41% of young adults listen to the radio. As many young people have given up their music and newspaper habits, the internet has replaced much of that activity."

In 2012, Nielsen said that YouTube was now above radio as the source where teens discover new music first.

I can't possibly believe that radio usage among teenagers in 2014 is the same as in 1974. I would love to be wrong, so please share some statistics from professional sources.

If you worked the 7-midnight shift on a CHR here in the year 2014, you'd know that there are still A TON of kids listening to the radio, and interacting. They blow up my phones non-stop all night.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom