• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New PD at KLCK

Lisa Adams (formerly of KLSY and then KQMV) returns to Factoria to program KLCK.

HUBBARD Hot AC KLCK (CLICK 98.9)/SEATTLE names LISA ADAMS for PD duties replacing MAYNARD who recently left to join CCM+E as a VP/Programming.

ADAMS was most recently the PD at Hot AC KCIX (MIX 106), and AC KXLT (107.9 LITE FM)/BOISE, ID. She is very familiar with the SEATTLE market as the previous PD at KQMV (MOVIN 92.5). Her first day at KLCK is FRIDAY (8/29).

According to LISA ADAMS, "I am so incredibly excited and blessed to be able to return to a city I love and work with such a talented team at CLICK 98.9. Here's to an amazing and successful journey with a wonderful company, HUBBARD RADIO!"

HUBBARD/SEATTLE Market Mgr. MARC KAYE added, "We are thrilled to have LISA back in our hallways. The time she spent here in 2005 and 2006 was highly successful and her spirit and work ethic permeated the building. We know with her programming skills and thorough knowledge of the market, she is the right person to take CLICK 98.9 to the next level."
- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...lisa-adams-for-pd-duties#sthash.dxCdkGnE.dpuf

Who's programming KQMV now? I have an aircheck of them in middays I recorded a couple weeks ago and the jock in Maynard's slot never said his name.

Who's programming KQMV now? I have an aircheck of them in middays I recorded a couple weeks ago and the jock in Maynard's slot never said his name.

The jock never said their name, eh?

I have never heard a jock on KLCK say their name. This is one of their problems.

They actually have jocks. But they have no personality, and no one knows who they are.

How can a listener identify with this station?

Over a decade ago I took Leslie Larkin's intro to broadcasting course at Bellevue Community College (now taught by her then-KOMO colleague Art Sanders). She beat it into our heads, over and over again, whether we were on air on radio or TV to make sure we got our name on the air as much as possible so the listeners / viewers would be able to identify with and remember us (as a personality). Why has this thinking changed?

The jock never said their name, eh?

I have never heard a jock on KLCK say their name. This is one of their problems.

They actually have jocks. But they have no personality, and no one knows who they are.

How can a listener identify with this station?

Over a decade ago I took Leslie Larkin's intro to broadcasting course at Bellevue Community College (now taught by her then-KOMO colleague Art Sanders). She beat it into our heads, over and over again, whether we were on air on radio or TV to make sure we got our name on the air as much as possible so the listeners / viewers would be able to identify with and remember us (as a personality). Why has this thinking changed?

I was taught to say who I am as often as possible. I'm surprised by this. If they don't have personality, why are they there?

Last edited:
I agree. I recorded an aircheck of KKRZ in Portland and the jock never said his name over almost a 2 hour period. CC is getting pretty bad about this. I was listening to Kiss a few days before I recorded said KKRZ aircheck and the only time the jock said her name though I knew it since I'd heard her before was coming out of a commercial break into a brief spot before starting the music.

Times have changed in over a decade. Primarily with the introduction of PPM. It's no longer important to remember (aka "recall") who you're listening to, what time they were on, what the call letters were, and how long you listened. It's a new world of ADD attention spans. "Ain't nobody got time for that"!

Times have changed in over a decade. Primarily with the introduction of PPM. It's no longer important to remember (aka "recall") who you're listening to, what time they were on, what the call letters were, and how long you listened. It's a new world of ADD attention spans. "Ain't nobody got time for that"!

It's a new world of.....Oh look! A squirrel!

KLCK's playlist is a mix of a few songs from KPLZ, a few songs from KNDD, a few alternative songs that currently air on KBKS and a few KRWM songs. There is no variety into making this station, at all. And I'm sure this new PD doesn't know anything about a little station that played in doctor's offices for over 15 years on this frequency - KWJZ....
If we can't get 98.9 to maybe get with the Z-Twins and simulcast 1560 khz (because the signal, everywhere sucks), then maybe we'll hear "KIXI 98.9 and 880" in a few years. Even adult standards is better than this VERY predictable playlist!

-crainbebo

KLCK's playlist is a mix of a few songs from KPLZ, a few songs from KNDD, a few alternative songs that currently air on KBKS and a few KRWM songs. There is no variety into making this station, at all. And I'm sure this new PD doesn't know anything about a little station that played in doctor's offices for over 15 years on this frequency - KWJZ....
If we can't get 98.9 to maybe get with the Z-Twins and simulcast 1560 khz (because the signal, everywhere sucks), then maybe we'll hear "KIXI 98.9 and 880" in a few years. Even adult standards is better than this VERY predictable playlist!

-crainbebo

Good luck with your wish. I for one would like more variety of formats on the radio, but radio is a business and they need to make money (to much debt). My only question is...how many ways can you divide up the 18 to 34 female demo? It seems that all commercial FM stations in Seattle, with the exception of KISW and KZOK, cater to women. (The 'new' KJR-FM "95-7 The Joke" is definitely a cougar station...and I'm not talking about WSU.)

KLCK's playlist is a mix of a few songs from KPLZ, a few songs from KNDD, a few alternative songs that currently air on KBKS and a few KRWM songs. There is no variety into making this station, at all.

Let me get this straight, a station that plays Hot AC songs (Star), Alternative (The End), CHR (Kiss) and AC (Warm) lacks variety?

I gotta bookmark that post!

-crainbebo
If only! Unfortunately, adults standards/oldies radio is dead and its never coming back (there, I said it). Sure, there are great stations that still exist like KZQZ 1430 oldies in St. Louis, but for the most part, full market/full power oldies radio is done for on the FM dial. Thankfully we had KBSG while it lasted. I agree though, KLCK is pretty bad, and I would not call it alternative. Alternative radio should correlate to "not heard elsewhere", and I don't see much on KLCK that could not be heard elsewhere. "The End" is alternative, and "The Mountain" was adult alternative; KLCK is neither.

Let me get this straight, a station that plays Hot AC songs (Star), Alternative (The End), CHR (Kiss) and AC (Warm) lacks variety?

I gotta bookmark that post!

So you think that "Warm" and "Star" actually play a variety of songs? I really hate to say this, but just about every AC and Hot AC outlet are completely identical. What I have discovered from sampling radio stations from other markets is that the music is mainly homogeneous. The days of tuning into a radio station from outside of your market are waning away because its no different from what you can get in your own market.

I feel bad for any rimshot AC or Hot AC station that tries to compete with the full market signal.

Todays AC is just CHR lite. How many adults want to hear Justin Bibster (yes, he is just a kid), Lady Kah-Kah and Katy 'waxface' Perry over and over again on at leased five different stations? I know radio is a business and has to make money, but where is the creativity? Will some programmer please step outside of the box?

Todays AC is just CHR lite. How many adults want to hear Justin Bibster (yes, he is just a kid), Lady Kah-Kah and Katy 'waxface' Perry over and over again on at leased five different stations? I know radio is a business and has to make money, but where is the creativity? Will some programmer please step outside of the box?

That, in my opinion, is what is wrong with radio today. You have several radio stations with the same programming targeting the same market. For a radio station to compete with another, there has to be some REAL incentive for the listener to change. Is there any real incentive to change when the music and programming is carbon copied, with the exception of some lame contest? I wish more radio stations would actually shake things up by changing up their boring playlist or by inserting some exciting programming [see: Beau Phillips memoir "I Killed Pink Floyd's Pig"].

So you think that "Warm" and "Star" actually play a variety of songs? I really hate to say this, but just about every AC and Hot AC outlet are completely identical.

Don't ask me, I just repeated what the expert said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom