• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Need some RDS Phantom help

Does anybody here have Phantom experience? I am having a networking
issue with a system and need a bit of help / advice please.

We can't get help from RDS because they want to charge the station for
several years of back support in addition to support for the next year.

My friend bought the station and the previous owner had not bought
support contracts for several years. My friend has had the station for
about 3 years now and has not needed RDS until now.

Personally I think its ridiculous to ask him to pay 5 or 6 years of back support that
he never needed, used or contracted for, just to be able to get support
now.

I think it has a flaky network card, because sometimes it will connect to
the computer used for importing and sometimes it will not, and I can
not identify a cause, it just starts working, then later stops. Since
the computer is so old and Phantom runs on top of win98 in dos mode, I
am not sure if I can use just any network card.

Not sure how old your hardware is, but there are lots of 10/100 NIC out there you could try. eBay is full of them if you don't have one you pulled from an old machine previously. I would think it could handle a 10/100/1000 NIC since those have been around for years.

Does the Phantom has USB slots? If so, a USB NIC would be easier. There are some that still support 98 including the TRENDnet TU2-ET100.

If you still got the problem with a USB NIC or a swapped PCI one, maybe your network switch has an issue (bad port, cable)

I have tried several ports on the switch and also several different Ethernet cables with the same results.
It always seems to start working right after I have plugged in a cable, either a different cable or pulled out the cable and just plugged it back in.
Then in a while it stops working again. That's why I suspect a flaky NIC.

I am very familiar with Phantom networking. First off, you mention that your RDS install is running in DOSSHELL under Windows 98. Are you using TCP or NETBUI protocol for networking?

If it's NETBUI, it will not work after a cable is unplugged, it must be restarted. There is a particular network card that works very well with The Phantom. Off the top of my head I can't remember what it is, but I can look at one of my machines and find out.

I agree that you will probably need a new NIC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom