• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KZFX (Z-107.5) vs KGLK (Houston's Eagle)

Any of you guys remember KZFX (Z-107.5) the classic rock formatted station from 1986-1994 ?
How would you compare that station with today's KGLK 107.5 (Houston's Eagle)? Programming, DJ's, playlists, etc

Carson and Christy in the morning were more consistently entertaining than Dean and Rog.

KZFX seemed to have a deeper playlist than the Eagle, although the Eagle has gotten better since they dropped the 'classic hits' misnomer.

KZFX was far better than The Eagle, but the Classic Rock incarnation of the old KRBE 1070 easily outdid them both. Awesome playlist, very much like the early days of Progressive Rock/AOR. Too bad it was on AM, though it sounded great--I seem to recall it was AM Stereo, though my mind might be fuzzy on that.

Interesting info that I located ..

KZFX-FM Ratings (Fall '86): With a September 6, 1986 debut, KZFX-FM had a 4.1 showing in their first book.
[source: Arbitron]

KZFX-FM Playlist data (circa 1987)

KZFX-FM Mornings 7:42 - 8:30 a.m.

"Baby It's You" by Smith
"I'm No Angel" by Gregg Allman
"God Bless The Child" by Blood Sweat & Tears
"Substitute" by Who
"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
"Can't Keep It In" by Cat Stevens
"I'm Looking Through You" by Beatles
"Black Magic Woman" by Santana

KZFX -FM Afternoons 5 :15 - 6:04 p.m.

"Feeling Stronger Everyday" by Chicago
"Hello It's Me" by Todd Rundgren
"I've Just Seen A Face" by Beatles
"Bad Company" by Bad Company
"Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby & The Range
"Good Times Roll" by Cars
"Piece Of My Heart" by Big Brother & Holding Co.
"Rockin' Down The Highway" by Doobie Brothers
"What's Your Name" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan
"Aqualung" by Jethro Tull

Last edited:
KZFX was far better than The Eagle, but the Classic Rock incarnation of the old KRBE 1070 easily outdid them both. Awesome playlist, very much like the early days of Progressive Rock/AOR. Too bad it was on AM, though it sounded great--I seem to recall it was AM Stereo, though my mind might be fuzzy on that.

I believe you are correct in the AM stereo...I think they were using the Harris or Maggy version....(Chuck Tiller may be able to chime in on this).. I know 1180 Humble was using Harris..while 790 ran Kahn for a while and then went to CQUAM...not sure of any other AM stereo signals in Houston back then

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom