• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-Earth 101 Totally 80's Labor Day Weekend

KOOL just played Sundown and Love Will Keep Us Together, two mid-'70s number-one hits that KRTH quit playing many years ago. But hey, maybe those songs don't "test well" with Los Angeles listeners.

They would test well today. If KRTH played them today every so often or on weekends, the audience would not even notice. Play "Puppy Love", then yes. Phoenix isn't much different from L.A. If anything, lots of retirees from So. Cal cities and certainly lots of Hispanics there.

MadMan, isn't "exiting" usually followed by management issuing a statement that says, "We hate to see him go but we wish him all the best"? Yeah...I know how these things work!

They would test well today. If KRTH played them today every so often or on weekends, the audience would not even notice. Play "Puppy Love", then yes. Phoenix isn't much different from L.A. If anything, lots of retirees from So. Cal cities and certainly lots of Hispanics there.

LA is 44% Hispanic, while Phoenix is 30%.

LA has 12% Asian population; Phoenix is 4%

LA has over a million first generation non-Aisan and non-Hispanic immigrants from places like Persia, Russia and others.

The average age in LA is 34.6 years and in Phoenix it is 32.2. Phoenix is much younger.

Phoenix has abut 60% non-Hispanic non-immigrant whites while in LA, the figure is around 30%.

You can see the huge differences in the number of high rated, successful rock stations in Phoenix and the lack of same in LA.

Those two songs are so un-LA as to be laughable.

And KRTH is #3 with men in the 25-to-34 age group and ranks #4 in billing. See? I've learned some things from the radio professionals. :)

KRTH was 14th in billings last year, but that was the effect of the pre-Rick programming that was about 12th to 14th in 25-54. It's likely that this year the billings will jump, but not up to where the ratings are as there is a delayed effect in ratings vs. revenue as agencies often buy over long, multi-book averages.

In 25-34 men, KRTH averages (April-May-June) 27th.

KRTH's programming was good in those days too, except when Coffey nearly took it underwater. You may just not remember.

Of course I remember. I have been programming in LA pretty much non-stop for 23 years, and that covers 2/3 of his tenure at KRTH.

David, one of my columns for LARadio.com detailed how KHJ morning man Robert W. Morgan locked himself in the studio one day in 1972 and played Donny Osmond's Puppy Love over and over and over in an effort to make the "teenyboppers" so sick of it that they'd never again want to hear it and he'd never again have to play it. You can collect your dollar from Morgan's estate. :)

I've done that "play it over and over" so many times I have lost track. A pro like Morgan had learned eons before that stunt that successful stations play what the listeners want to hear as often as they want to hear them. He was not paid to pick the music but to be the glue that held it all together.

MadMan, isn't "exiting" usually followed by management issuing a statement that says, "We hate to see him go but we wish him all the best"? Yeah...I know how these things work!
It used to be Steve? These days who knows how a long time Fill In/Part Timer departing is considered? It just happened over the past week. More importantly is CVD really missing from K-EARTH?

The KHJ jocks "until the end of the month"? Huh? David, what do you know that we don't?

I doubt that KHJ program director Ron Jacobs would ever have let anyone other than Robert W. Morgan get away with playing Donny Osmond's Puppy Love over and over. (Paul Anka's original was better.) Another great "play-it-over-and-over" stunt took place in early January of 1958, when KFWB launched its Color Radio top-40 format by continually playing the beginning of My Sweetie Pie by Johnny Olenn & the Blockbusters. It's on Antler Records #4209 and #4212, for all you record collectors. No matter which song was announced, it would be My Sweetie Pie that was played. A brief aircheck exists.

I remember one day in 1967 when the KBLA DJs were told that the station was switching to automation the next day, and all the DJs spent the rest of the day joking with each other and even giving a play-by-play of the telecast of The Mickey Mouse Club. Mimicking KFWB, they also announced different songs but always played the same one each time, usually halting it after ten or twenty seconds. I remember this happening...but I don't remember which song they played. Hey, I can't remember everything!

[Those two songs are so un-LA as to be laughable.

Well let's examine this....KRTH used to play them, so the "un-LA" reference is bogus. They just don't play them today because of the demo shift KRTH is targeting. We can just stick to "So-LA" music for better results. Bring back "California Sun" or "California Dreamin'" or "Walking in L.A." and "L.A. Freeway" or heck...."California Girls" and the Beach Boys would be a good staple. Oh and keep spinning that great Eagles tune from 1977.

Except for that 1977 Eagles classic and a few others, today's 400+ song playlist, really has nothing to do with the City of Angels or California for that matter.

Hey.....maybe by 2024, "California Gurls" maybe be added too!

Last edited:
The KHJ jocks "until the end of the month"? Huh? David, what do you know that we don't?

KHJ has been sold to Immaculate Heart Radio, and it looks like they will take over at the end of September.

Well let's examine this....KRTH used to play them, so the "un-LA" reference is bogus.

When they played those songs the ethnic mix in the target age was vastly different than it is today. Neither of those two songs did anything in Latin America, as a point of reference

They just don't play them today because of the demo shift KRTH is targeting.

KRTH is targeting the same 35-54 demo they have always targeted. They are just doing it better today than they have over the last decade.

We can just stick to "So-LA" music for better results. Bring back "California Sun" or "California Dreamin'" or "Walking in L.A." and "L.A. Freeway" or heck...."California Girls" and the Beach Boys would be a good staple. Oh and keep spinning that great Eagles tune from 1977.

Those are LA songs from a half-century ago. Most were not popular among Hispanics, particularly the Beach Boys. However, Mamas & Papas was really big in Latin America. Which is nice if you want to appeal to 60-year-old Hispanics.

Except for that 1977 Eagles classic and a few others, today's 400+ song playlist, really has nothing to do with L.A.

It has everything to do with people in LA today.

Mentioned earlier was the fact that KRTH is playing Old Time Rock & Roll (from 1979) during their 80s weekend. Well, many people remember it from "Risky Business" which came out in 1983. Make sense? ;)

Mentioned earlier was the fact that KRTH is playing Old Time Rock & Roll (from 1979) during their 80s weekend. Well, many people remember it from "Risky Business" which came out in 1983. Make sense? ;)

Make sense, but if that's the case, KRTH might as well play all the older hits in the 80's movie "Big Chill" or even "Pretty Woman" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". And did you notice that KRTH is playing Santana's 1999 hit, "Smooth" during an 80's special? I think "Valley Girl" should have been played, totally!

ChannelFlipper asked about Charlie Van Dyke. He's gone. And I'm referring to Van Dyke, not to ChannelFlipper. KRTH's new imaging voice is Joe Cipriano. He worked at WRQK in Washington DC in the '70s and at KHTZ, KKHR (as "Dave Donovan") and KIIS in the '80s. He is also the voice of CBS, Fox, the Emmy awards, the Grammy awards, and many radio/tv stations.

Don Barrett just e-mailed to say that (a) no weekenders have left KRTH and (b) Joe Cipriano is an "addition." Some promos voiced by Charlie Van Dyke will continue to air. We should be more conscientious about the name of this site and discuss radio, not rumors.

Don Barrett just e-mailed to say that (a) no weekenders have left KRTH and (b) Joe Cipriano is an "addition." Some promos voiced by Charlie Van Dyke will continue to air. We should be more conscientious about the name of this site and discuss radio, not rumors.
Don just emailed me too, interesting article. I was only talking about one announcer and I'm not sure when this is in effect? He said this weekend although it seems that has not happened. I certainly didn't want to post who it was for privacy reasons. Not trying to start any rumors at all, and I have no other information on changes!

Last edited:
Don seemed to think that we were saying there had been a mass exodus from KRTH. I told him that supposedly only one person is leaving and I sent Don the link to this thread. He read it and was not impressed. He said that nobody would willingly leave KRTH. All the DJs are glad to be there. Dave Randall commutes all the way from Ventura.

MadMan, if somebody really is leaving, could we talk him into taking the station's copies of I Melt With You and Hotel California with him?

The airstaff list on KRTH's website still has all the same names as last month: Gary Bryan & Lisa Stanley, Jim Carson, Shotgun Tom Kelly, Christina Kelley, Dave Mason, Charlie Tuna, Sylvia Aimerito, Bruce Chandler, Dave Randall, Christian Wheel and Sky Walker. Which DJs have supposedly quit?
Same staff, no one has left, just some on going changes with fill in shifts. Sorry for any confusion on my behalf!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom