• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1010 am on fm @ 99.3

If WCON (Cornelia) gets their CP for 100 kW and builds out the upgrade to C1, this little translator will likely be toast.

Hope this sticks around. 1010 has a great format (sounds like what Kiss 104 USED to be) and it's always been tough to do any kind of music on AM, given the fact that most AM radios of today are complete garbage.

FWIW, the 993. translator is coming from a Pinnacle Tower cell site in Winston, GA in Douglas county just south of I-20. Putting a good city grade signal into Smyrna on my Boston Acoustics Recepter radio with only a wire antenna.

Good to hear something new on this stale FM band. Hope this stays! But I'm not holding my breath...

Im getting the 99.3 translator better between stockbridge and downtown then 98.9 which has 250 watts and on a in town stick while 99.3 is on 99 watts west of 285...what gives? Is it the extra HAAT for the 99.3 transmitter.

Hope this sticks around. 1010 has a great format (sounds like what Kiss 104 USED to be) and it's always been tough to do any kind of music on AM, given the fact that most AM radios of today are complete garbage.

FWIW, the 993. translator is coming from a Pinnacle Tower cell site in Winston, GA in Douglas county just south of I-20. Putting a good city grade signal into Smyrna on my Boston Acoustics Recepter radio with only a wire antenna.

Good to hear something new on this stale FM band. Hope this stays! But I'm not holding my breath...

Looks like it's actually coming from a tower off Cooper Lake Road between Smyrna and Mableton, about 3 miles north of I-20.

That tower on Cooper Lake is an American tower site who's primary locator is CSX Railroad, who has an extensive VHF NXDN and analog remote base system on that tower, I highly doubt CSX would want ANYTHING VHF, especially a wideband 100 watt FM broadcast translator, that close to their 160MHz stuff. There are some co-locators on that tower from Sprint and T-Mobile, but nothing broadcast related. I am VERY ACQUAINTED with that tower...

The transmitter site listed on the license shows to be Douglasville, not Cooper Lake Rd:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=2641362

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=152237

Note that it is in the path of Charlie Brown, hence the FAA study.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=368744&row=0

All of this clearly shows the transmitter to be in Douglasville, not Smyrna or Mableton.

"All of this clearly shows the transmitter to be in Douglasville, not Smyrna or Mableton."

I see what's happening. You're using the old coordinates. But that was off Veterans Hwy, still north of I-20.

"All of this clearly shows the transmitter to be in Douglasville, not Smyrna or Mableton."

I see what's happening. You're using the old coordinates. But that was off Veterans Hwy, still north of I-20.

The current active LICENSE on the FCC ULS shows the location of the transmitter to be in Douglasville. They do have a CP for the site at 76 Cooper Lake Rd but according to the FCC, it is a CP, and they are at least, according to their license operating from a cellsite south of Douglasville.

www.oldschool993.com displays 93.3 as the frequency. It was only a matter of time before Steve Hegwood put the Urban Oldies on a FM signal. Great move considering both KISS and MAJIC don't skew that old.

www.oldschool993.com displays 93.3 as the frequency. It was only a matter of time before Steve Hegwood put the Urban Oldies on a FM signal. Great move considering both KISS and MAJIC don't skew that old.

I just wish the signal was better, it is absolute pathetic over most of the metro, and forget about it on the north NE side. WCON is all over it.

Someone on Northside Dr must have read my post. The website has been updated displaying the correct frequency on the logo. My drive tonight up I-85 North to I-285 East into South Dekalb County was pure static. I did hear a couple of station drops over the static identifying "we are Old School 99-3/1010." I hope Hegwood figures out a way to gain better coverage.

Last edited:
Someone on Northside Dr must have read my post. The website has been updated displaying the correct frequency on the logo. My drive tonight up I-85 North to I-285 East into South Dekalb County was pure static. I did hear a couple of station drops over the static identifying "we are Old School 99-3/1010." I hope Hegwood figures out a way to gain better coverage.

Yes, at least put it on one of the in town sticks at 99 watts or so, but more HAAT

Once again I am unable to see the oiginal post on Internet Explorer 9. I see the title
1010 am on fm @ 99.3
(lots of black space)
an add
(more black space).
I'll be out and about shortly and see if the station is worthy of taking the dead pre-set slot that Good Time Oldies once occupied.

Once again I am unable to see the oiginal post on Internet Explorer 9. I see the title
1010 am on fm @ 99.3
(lots of black space)
an add
(more black space).
I'll be out and about shortly and see if the station is worthy of taking the dead pre-set slot that Good Time Oldies once occupied.

Not worth it because the signal is so bad, it definitely serves the west side better

On 285 East in Dekalb there was quite a bit of static and another station (Clarksville?) cutting in.
Going south on 85 into the city.....lots of static.
Finally, around the 85/75 merger (17th St.) it pretty much sounded like a normal station.

On 285 East in Dekalb there was quite a bit of static and another station (Clarksville?) cutting in.
Going south on 85 into the city.....lots of static.
Finally, around the 85/75 merger (17th St.) it pretty much sounded like a normal station.

Probably getting the interference from WCON 99.3 in Cornelia. I haven't even bothered to try to get this station in because I can usually get WCON clear as a bell.

IMHO, its not oldies, its just constant black music, which is not true mass appeal oldies in my book...

You're right but there are some Motown oldies thrown in, in fact though, it seems like they play a lot of obscure R&B.

Mitch Faulkner's voice overs fit the station perfectly. I hope Hegwood find a way to improve or move the signal like he did with 94.5. I even heard a classic hip-hop jam from Notorious Big.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom