• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Media General, LIN Sell Stations In 5 Markets

From the article:

Media General will acquire Sinclair’s Fox and CW affiliates in Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo. (DMA 89) — KXRM and KXTU, respectively — and Sinclair’s MyNetworkTV affiliate in Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota, Fla. (DMA 14), WTTA.

Those stations can kiss Ring of Honor goodbye.

I wonder why Sinclair was in such a hurry to turn in the licenses for WCFT & WJSU in Birmingham? ... just weeks before this major station swap is announce?.
Meredith bought WALA, Fox 10, in Mobile (market #60ish) as part of this deal. If Meredith wants into the Mobile DMA, I'm sure Meredith would have liked to add Birmingham as well. (A larger market close to sister stations in Atlanta, Nashville, and Mobile).

I think my tin foil hat has a hole in it.

I wonder why Sinclair was in such a hurry to turn in the licenses for WCFT & WJSU in Birmingham? ... just weeks before this major station swap is announce?.
Meredith bought WALA, Fox 10, in Mobile (market #60ish) as part of this deal. If Meredith wants into the Mobile DMA, I'm sure Meredith would have liked to add Birmingham as well. (A larger market close to sister stations in Atlanta, Nashville, and Mobile).

I think my tin foil hat has a hole in it.

Sinclair really wanted Birmingham to go with its CW station.

Here is a link to an article specifically about the sale of WALA-TV from the perspective of their TV market.

(Media General will acquire... Sinclair’s MyNetworkTV affiliate in Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota, Fla. (DMA 14), WTTA.)

Those stations can kiss "Ring of Honor" goodbye.

And Tampa can kiss hello to a duopoly: Media General also owns NBC affiliate WFLA.

I don't think WFLA wrote that story.

Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact [email protected].

SOURCE Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.

Media General is going to be all over the place in the Carolinas and Virginia; it's picking up WAVY in the Hampton Roads area from LIN. It already owns:

WNCT/9 Greenville/New Bern/Washington, NC
WNCN/17 Raleigh/Durham

WRIC/8 Richmond
WSLS/10 Roanoke/Lynchburg
WJHL/11 Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City (part of the market is in Virginia)

WCBD/2 Charleston, SC
WSPA/7 Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville
WBTW/13 Florence/Myrtle Beach, SC

and WSAV/3 Savannah and WJBF/6 Augusta, GA also get into South Carolina.

Except for WRIC and WJBF, both ABC, all of these are either CBS (WNCT, WSPA, WJHL, WBTW) or NBC (WNCN, WAVY, WSLS, WCBD, WSAV) affiliates.

Media General is going to be all over the place in the Carolinas and Virginia; it's picking up WAVY in the Hampton Roads area from LIN. It already owns:

WNCT/9 Greenville/New Bern/Washington, NC
WNCN/17 Raleigh/Durham

WRIC/8 Richmond
WSLS/10 Roanoke/Lynchburg
WJHL/11 Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City (part of the market is in Virginia)

WCBD/2 Charleston, SC
WSPA/7 Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville
WBTW/13 Florence/Myrtle Beach, SC

and WSAV/3 Savannah and WJBF/6 Augusta, GA also get into South Carolina.

Except for WRIC and WJBF, both ABC, all of these are either CBS (WNCT, WSPA, WJHL, WBTW) or NBC (WNCN, WAVY, WSLS, WCBD, WSAV) affiliates.

That's a lot of stations for them across the southeast

Not to mention Media General, as already pointed out, owns WFLA Tampa/St. Petersburg, as well as WRBL Columbus, GA; WKRG Mobile; and WJTV Jackson, MS.

Hearst is going to be well-represented in the South as well; besides WVTM and WJCL (and I think WYFF was mentioned), they'll also have WESH Daytona Beach/Orlando, WXII Winston-Salem, and WLKY Louisville, with WLWT Cincinnati and WBAL Baltimore on the fringes and KOCO Oklahoma City in the Southwest.

Not to mention Media General, as already pointed out, owns WFLA Tampa/St. Petersburg, as well as WRBL Columbus, GA; WKRG Mobile; and WJTV Jackson, MS.

Hearst is going to be well-represented in the South as well; besides WVTM and WJCL (and I think WYFF was mentioned), they'll also have WESH Daytona Beach/Orlando, WXII Winston-Salem, and WLKY Louisville, with WLWT Cincinnati and WBAL Baltimore on the fringes and KOCO Oklahoma City in the Southwest.

A few others in Hearst's Southeast cluster--WKCF (duopoly partner with WESH), WMOR in Tampa/St. Petersburg, WPBF West Palm Beach, WAPT Jackson, Ms., KHBS Fort Smith, Ark. (plus satellite KHOG), and WDSU New Orleans.

WJAR NBC 10 is now a part of Sinclair which means Ring of Honor TV will move off WLWC CW 28 as soon as the transaction is complete. IMO ROH would fit it well on NBC 10 on either saturday or sunday afternoons due to NBC not having sport telecasts during those hours.

I do wonder why MG in Savannah didn't keep WTGS Fox (sold to Sinclair) and create the market's first duopoly with WSAV? I also wonder what Hearst sees in small time WJCL.

G

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom