• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Taylor Swift Single?

Are any country stations picking up "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift? I saw, briefly, the new video and didn't think it held anything useful for Country Radio, but that could be just me. Just wondering if it will get much play.

It is not being released to Country radio, the single and her entire new CD is a POP effort and will be worked to CHR. Hot AC and other Pop stations.....

I heard her new song for the first time earlier today and to me, it is one of her best because of how she addresses what it is that she is singing about. I love how she doesn't let those who hate her kick her to the floor!

God bless you and Taylor always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Foresee no play at country for this one. Have been hearing somewhat sped up versions of the leaked audio on YouTube to avoid copyright issues (including one on long-time YouTube rat Ariana Grande's channel*) Now that I've heard the sped up version, I'm convinced the real version might be too draggy.

They did it back in 1972 with Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans." It was sped up some 1.3 semitones because it drrraaagged on forever. Maybe not that bad, but it didn't feel right to the producers, so the tweaked version is the one we know.

*some of Ariana's best stuff was from three and four years ago, when she was posting videos of herself just singing and playing the keyboards. Most of that's been taken down. I suspect today's Ariana Grande channel is an imposter.

Looking at real time Mediabase, the song received 62 total spins nationally for the entire week. The only format playing it less than country is Alternative. From what I can see, stations played it either Monday night after the chat, or Tuesday morning. By Wednesday, it was gone. Her record label has not released it to country radio. They are not promoting it as a country song. My sense is that with country radio being so heavy now with big hits from other artists, there is no real demand for a song that's not aimed at the format.

Looking at real time Mediabase, the song received 62 total spins nationally for the entire week. The only format playing it less than country is Alternative. From what I can see, stations played it either Monday night after the chat, or Tuesday morning. By Wednesday, it was gone. Her record label has not released it to country radio. They are not promoting it as a country song. My sense is that with country radio being so heavy now with big hits from other artists, there is no real demand for a song that's not aimed at the format.

Well i'd still rather listen to it than "Florida Georgia Line".

Its not a country song...Swift has said so...she is going pop....(about time)....
She can always return to country at anytime. Plenty of other country acts have crossed over only to come back to country and they were taken in as if they had never left.

God bless you and them and Taylor always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Its not a country song...Swift has said so...she is going pop....(about time)....

Of all the blather posted on this thread, this piece of accurate information is a breath of fresh air. I don't much care if the suits who program country stations lack ears, and simply automatically put all new Taylor Swift songs on their stations in an automatic, knee-jerk reaction. Swift made the decision to put out a pop CD, including this single. I still think Kris Kristofferson's definition of what makes a song a country song is the most definitive. And by his definition, it doesn't sound like a country song, so it isn't. How freakin' difficult is that to understand?

Shake it off is what country radio should do to Taylor. Until she comes back with something like "Mean", her days of having new songs on country radio are over.

Shake it off is what country radio should do to Taylor. Until she comes back with something like "Mean", her days of having new songs on country radio are over.

As I've said several times already, it's exactly what they've done. The song is getting no detected spins now, and hasn't charted country after a week.

After going pop in 2002, LeAnn Rimes was welcomed back with open arms a few years later when she released her album named This Woman. Three of the albums singles made the top five with the third one going all the way to #1. If one can be welcomed back, so can another.

God bless you and LeAnn and Taylor always!!! :) :) :)

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom