• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 96.9 launching a new morning show

Seems they did better with their talk format. Greater Media is changing formats/personnel more often than the proverbial...' changing underwear...'

Seems they did better with their talk format.

Are you speaking again about something you do not know? Hot 96.9 is one of the most successful format launches of the past couple of years. Demo and ratings are better than anything the talk format did on 96.9 (and much cheaper).

Greater Media is changing formats/personnel more often than the proverbial...' changing underwear...'

Something else you speak of and know little of what you are talking about?

How many formats have been on 96.9?

Beautiful music
Jazz
Talk
Hot 96.9
(...did I miss any?)

4 formats in, what, 45 years?

How often DO you change your underwear Omnibus?

Seems they did better with their talk format. Greater Media is changing formats/personnel more often than the proverbial...' changing underwear...'

Dude, I schooled you on this a month ago. Want to relive it? Here's what I said then, it's still true today, a whole 5 weeks later:

Omnibus, do you only change your underwear every 14 years? That's how long 96.9 was talk. Or is it over 23 years, the length of time they were beautiful music?

There was some instability in the 90's while Greater Media was playing musical chairs with their new signal acquisitions and their formats, but that didn't really speak to the station. I mean, they bounced country around 4 of their signals... Doesn't seem brilliant but it worked out in the end, didn't it?

Let's take a look at the other Greater Media "failures:"

WMJX - over 30 years as a legendary AC station, still live and local 24 hours a day.
WROR - Outlived WODS, going strong for 18 years now.
WKLB - The OTHER Greater Media station that has elicited a response from Clear Channel. First, they tweak the format of Jam'n. Then, when WKLB is the only station in the market able to knock Kiss 108 off its perch atop the ratings, CCM+E launches The Bull as a flanker. (21 years for WKLB, BTW)
WBOS - I guess you could call it the weak link, but 6 years as alternative? Not too shabby.

I'd love to experience that kind of failure.

And speaking of WBOS, not sure when it happened but they now ID themselves as Boston's Alternative.

Wiggy on 969

Wiggy is lost in the mix, does not sound too good!

How many formats have been on 96.9?

Beautiful music
Jazz
Talk
Hot 96.9
(...did I miss any?)

After the first Smooth Jazz format, 96.9 was Country for about four years in the mid '90s, then back to two years of Smooth Jazz again before becoming Talk.

Also, if you go "way back", 96.9 was Classical as WXHR for about twenty years since sign-on in the '40s until becoming Beautiful Music (WJIB) in the mid '60s.

This is the main format history for 96.9 (not including brief between format "stunts", etc...). Except for the mid-'90s Jazz/Country swaps and flips as new station consolidation and acquisition was shaking out, there are some great track records here:

Classical - about 20 years
Beautiful Music - about 23 years
Smooth Jazz - about three years
Country - about four years (later became very successful for G.M. on 102.5 through present)
Smooth Jazz - two years
Talk - nearly 14 years
Rhythmic Hits (Hot 96.9) - 1-1/2 years through present

Last edited:
But what about the morning show? Were the #'s bad or is this about putting something on the air that's different from down the dial? 94 has 2 guys 1 chick, now 969 has 2 chicks 1 guy. Personally I hate to see someone unqualified take over for a pro, reminds me of Smerlas, DeOssie, and Merloni. Was Baltazar working without a deal and Jack wasn't gonna pay him? Where may he land? Amp, Mix or Hot106 Providence are the only possibilities I can think of without moving too far.

Intriguing bit in new Fybush column at http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html --it mentions the departure of the younger Dan Mason and wonders -IF- (if, IF...) this is a sign of a format flip at ODS. Again, he's just wondering; if so, to what? But as you say,
if Amp got Baltazar... WODS went to the current CHR in June of '12.

Maybe ac

If they decide to change, they should, change (Mix) to (AC) keep their name the same (Mix 104.1). Because in most cities, AC format is always on top in the ratings, especially here in Boston, they always come within the top 5 top stations in Boston. If they're smart enough, they should go that direction with (Mix 104.1) that way they can go up against (Magic 106.7)
For Amp, seeing that there's no more (Evolution 101.7) Amp should, try and focus on new dance music. When they first started, it seemed like they were going in that direction. Or just keep it as it is now.
Or maybe one of them can change to (Talk), bring back (FM Talk) that'd be great to have on (104.1)
who knows, we'll her to see what happens

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom