• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits on AM

And while you're at it, bring back 78 RPM records and wind-up Victrolas.

WTOB in Winston-Salem, NC is doing it. It's a non-profit. Whether it's a success I don't know.

WZKY in Albemarle was doing it but now it's back to oldies.

I actually talked with Rodgers about doing a Jack on AM. They liked the idea as it would match the "attitude" of Jack (whatever we want...and adding wherever we want!).....

AM stereo is still alive on a number of music stations...(as well as WLS....for how long is anyone's guess)

I actually talked with Rodgers about doing a Jack on AM. They liked the idea as it would match the "attitude" of Jack (whatever we want...and adding wherever we want!).....

Why would Rogers care about what was done with Jack in the US? They only have rights to use the format in Canada, and the owner of the brand is SparkNet out of Vancouver. They have a US rep in LA who handles US affiliates and the syndication outside of the top 50 markets.

It occurs to me that I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would want to put a variety hits format on an AM radio station? What's the point? Are there any listeners out there dying to hear a variety hits station, but who only own AM radios? Does someone have a warehouse full of old AM stereo radios they need to unload?

It occurs to me that I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would want to put a variety hits format on an AM radio station? What's the point? Are there any listeners out there dying to hear a variety hits station, but who only own AM radios? Does someone have a warehouse full of old AM stereo radios they need to unload?

The Spanish language version of Jack, called "Juan" and also syndicated by Sparknet is running on quite a few AMs. It is apparently getting good results at the sales level for its advertisers.

I realize that AM has a special place for catering to minorities who prefer languages other than English. I was referring to mainstream broadcasting, not niche broadcasting for foreigners.

I realize that AM has a special place for catering to minorities who prefer languages other than English.

Hispanics dislike AM even more than non-Hispanics. But when there is a lack of a very specific format on FM, a decent AM can get an audience, as the folks at SparkNet have discovered.

If you look at some Latin American nations, AM is all but disappearing. In Mexico, the government is migrating 85% of all stations to FM and no new AMs will be license except for specific situations serving isolated indigenous populations. In El Salvador, half of all stations have closed, and half of the remaining ones are evangelical Christian. And so on across the Hemisphere.

I was referring to mainstream broadcasting, not niche broadcasting for foreigners.

But you did not say that. And in many parts of the US, the Hispanic population exceeds the non-Hispanic white population... with examples being Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Albuquerque, Miami / Ft Lauderdale

The fact that foreigners, whether immigrants or illegal aliens, might outnumber English speaking Americans doesn't make them any less foreigners.

The fact that foreigners, whether immigrants or illegal aliens, might outnumber English speaking Americans doesn't make them any less foreigners.

Aside from the fact that you changed the subject from "niche" when it was obvious that in many parts of the country broadcasting for Hispanics is not a niche but is more mainstream than anything else in those markets...

... half of all Hispanics in the US are born in the US and are not foreigners. Another significant percentage are naturalized US Citizens, so technically are not "foreigners" either.

The issue is the vague, and often meaningless definition of "Hispanic". It's not a race. It's not an ethnicity. The term is applied to Caucasians whose ancestors came from Spain, making them no more special than people whose ancestors came from France, Portugal, Greece, or Norway. It's applied to people whose ancestors came from countries all over Europe who settled in South America for a few generations before moving to the US. Former president of Peru, Alberto Fujimori, a man of Japanese ancestry, is considered an Hispanic. Charlie Sheen is "Hispanic", just like his father and brother. So was Sheen's costar in Hot Shots, Miguel Ferrer. Linda Ronstadt is considered Hispanic.

Those Hispanics, just like the Celtics and Scandinavians, and all the other immigrants groups that have lived in the United States for generations as Americans speak English. I doubt that there is a significant number of legal immigrants, naturalized citizens, and later generations born in the United States who cannot speak English. So, when programming for only the illegal aliens or lazy immigrants who refuse to learn English, that is a niche market.

I doubt that there is a significant number of legal immigrants, naturalized citizens, and later generations born in the United States who cannot speak English. So, when programming for only the illegal aliens or lazy immigrants who refuse to learn English, that is a niche market.

"Speaking English" does not change ones culture or tastes in music, food and such...

Let's take the different groups:

Over 5 million Puerto Ricans. Most, born on the Island, speak Spanish as the first language. Those who migrated to the mainland learned enough English to function and get a job, but continued to prefer the music and culture of their birth. The second generation became relatively bilingual, but often preferred the music and other cultural elements of their heritage.

Over 30 million Mexicans, 80% of whom are here legally. More than half are first generation, and may know just enough English to get by although a small, small percentage might be called truly bilingual. But their musical tastes don't change as they acquire a minimal command of English; musical tastes are formed in early adolescence. Of the second generation, most tend to be bilingual... and while they often will prefer English CHR and rhythmic CHR stations in youth, many go through the documented process of "cultural reversion" listening to more and more Spanish music later in life. Bilingual second generations citizens tend to spend time with both English and Spanish language radio where decent Spanish language radio is available.

Central Americans: Nearly all are first generation or very young second generation, as the migration from that area began with the Nicaraguan revolution and was followed by the years of "The Problem" in El Salvador and the current issues in Honduras and Guatemala. Nearly all the adults are users of Spanish language radio (the Nicaraguan refugees and most of the Salvadorans, who are also refugees, are here legally as is the bulk of the remainder). Again, this is a new population, for the most part here legally, and with a percentage born here. Most use Spanish language media, either entirely or part of the time.

I could go through the other countries but the story is the same. First generation generally never gives up it's musical preferences for Latin music and the second generation simply adds some English language music to its choices while growing up. Music taste, as I sad, does not change with the adoption of a second language. Anecdotally, I've been on the mainland US for 22 years and I don't listen to English language music except occasionally; I grew up with Los Graduados, El Gran Combo and Enrique Guzmán and the Dúo Dinámico and I prefer music in Spanish, particularly kinds not paralleled in English.

So, with 50 million Hispanics in the US, you have about 35 to 40 million who either Spanish language media use entirely or part of the time. Since even the largest reasonable estimates show about 7 million undocumented Hispanics (out of 12 million total undocumented immigrants) in the US, that means that there are still somewhere over 30,000,000 Hispanics who find Spanish language media and Latin Music and other cultural aspects of their heritage to be very attractive.

This same process of first generation acquiring only limited English followed by bilingual second generation and assimilated third generation has been the norm for the Italians, the Germans, the various Asian communities and all other significant immigrant groups. Part of this is heritage and part is due to the very difficult task of learning a second language as an adult when language acquisition abilities have declined severely for anyone who was, as a child, monolingual.

As an example, 96% of 5+ Hispanics in LA use radio each week, for a total of 5.26 million cumers of radio. 3.98 million use Spanish language radio. That's well over 75% of all Hispanics who use Spanish language radio in a market that represents 15% of the total Hispanic 6+ population of the US. Other markets are similar, from Miami to Fresno. Of course, in Puerto Rico, USA, the listening to Spanish radio is virtually 100%.

So Spanish language radio is not a niche market any more than any other musical genre that reaches over 10% of the population (at a minimum).

My late mother-in-law never missed a polka show on the radio. And there were a lot of them. No one disputes the fact that people still prefer the musical styles of the old country. On the other hand, a major portion of those great polkas, waltzes, and other Central European songs were recorded with English lyrics. And, even when playing nothing but songs in Polish, Russian, Lithuanian, or other languages, the DJs spoke English. Often with an accent you could cut with a knife, but English nevertheless.

I regularly listen to a Canadian station that plays classic hits, and a good mix of them too. CJYM, in Saskatchewan.

Sounds great on AM.

I regularly listen to a Canadian station that plays classic hits, and a good mix of them too. CJYM, in Saskatchewan.

Sounds great on AM.

Does that indicate that similar formats would be financially successful on AM radio in places other than the wheatfields of Canada?

It doesn't indicate anything except that it exists, and that it sounds good.

There are a few classic hits stations in parts of the NW US that are on the AM band, and have been for the past several years, so I assume they are making enough money to stay on the air.

"Speaking English" does not change ones culture or tastes in music, food and such...

Let's take the different groups:

Over 5 million Puerto Ricans. Most, born on the Island, speak Spanish as the first language. Those who migrated to the mainland learned enough English to function and get a job, but continued to prefer the music and culture of their birth. The second generation became relatively bilingual, but often preferred the music and other cultural elements of their heritage.

Over 30 million Mexicans, 80% of whom are here legally. More than half are first generation, and may know just enough English to get by although a small, small percentage might be called truly bilingual. But their musical tastes don't change as they acquire a minimal command of English; musical tastes are formed in early adolescence. Of the second generation, most tend to be bilingual... and while they often will prefer English CHR and rhythmic CHR stations in youth, many go through the documented process of "cultural reversion" listening to more and more Spanish music later in life. Bilingual second generations citizens tend to spend time with both English and Spanish language radio where decent Spanish language radio is available.

Central Americans: Nearly all are first generation or very young second generation, as the migration from that area began with the Nicaraguan revolution and was followed by the years of "The Problem" in El Salvador and the current issues in Honduras and Guatemala. Nearly all the adults are users of Spanish language radio (the Nicaraguan refugees and most of the Salvadorans, who are also refugees, are here legally as is the bulk of the remainder). Again, this is a new population, for the most part here legally, and with a percentage born here. Most use Spanish language media, either entirely or part of the time.

I could go through the other countries but the story is the same. First generation generally never gives up it's musical preferences for Latin music and the second generation simply adds some English language music to its choices while growing up. Music taste, as I sad, does not change with the adoption of a second language. Anecdotally, I've been on the mainland US for 22 years and I don't listen to English language music except occasionally; I grew up with Los Graduados, El Gran Combo and Enrique Guzmán and the Dúo Dinámico and I prefer music in Spanish, particularly kinds not paralleled in English.

So, with 50 million Hispanics in the US, you have about 35 to 40 million who either Spanish language media use entirely or part of the time. Since even the largest reasonable estimates show about 7 million undocumented Hispanics (out of 12 million total undocumented immigrants) in the US, that means that there are still somewhere over 30,000,000 Hispanics who find Spanish language media and Latin Music and other cultural aspects of their heritage to be very attractive.

This same process of first generation acquiring only limited English followed by bilingual second generation and assimilated third generation has been the norm for the Italians, the Germans, the various Asian communities and all other significant immigrant groups. Part of this is heritage and part is due to the very difficult task of learning a second language as an adult when language acquisition abilities have declined severely for anyone who was, as a child, monolingual.

As an example, 96% of 5+ Hispanics in LA use radio each week, for a total of 5.26 million cumers of radio. 3.98 million use Spanish language radio. That's well over 75% of all Hispanics who use Spanish language radio in a market that represents 15% of the total Hispanic 6+ population of the US. Other markets are similar, from Miami to Fresno. Of course, in Puerto Rico, USA, the listening to Spanish radio is virtually 100%.

So Spanish language radio is not a niche market any more than any other musical genre that reaches over 10% of the population (at a minimum).

There is one major difference in the 10% of the population that is Hispanic and any other group of English speaking citizens, and it is the language. As a non-Spanish speaking person - like a vast majority of the population - I listen to several different formats at times. News, rock, country, oldies, sports - at some time all are on my radio. I will never listen to Spanish as I can't understand it at all. When only 10% of the population can even understand what is being said, it is a niche, regardless of its success in specific geographical areas like big cities.

There is one major difference in the 10% of the population that is Hispanic and any other group of English speaking citizens, and it is the language. As a non-Spanish speaking person - like a vast majority of the population - I listen to several different formats at times. News, rock, country, oldies, sports - at some time all are on my radio. I will never listen to Spanish as I can't understand it at all. When only 10% of the population can even understand what is being said, it is a niche, regardless of its success in specific geographical areas like big cities.

AMEN to that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom