• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits on AM

Again, read the entire post. Skimming through searching for nits to pick causes you to miss a lot.

I read the entire post. I was actively involved in many of the processes at the time, and believe you are simply injecting your own feelings into a situation that did not play out as you described.

I picked points that I am very familiar with as examples of the errors in your analysis.

If you want to expand on the issue, "a hundred years ago" (your point of reference) there were no regulation on any immigration save Asians (the Chinese, specifically) and it was not until the 20's that any were codified. So if you didn't have cataracts and got by the port of entry, in a few years ou could be a citizen because there were no "illegals". The Germans and the Irish and the Italians "owned" big parts of major cities, and created power bases. Today, a huge percentage of Hispanics are not citizens, and a large subset are not documented... so a far less monolithic voting block.

In other words, you attempt to draw a parallel in 2014 with 1914 fails on so many points.

Last edited:
I read the entire post. I was actively involved in many of the processes at the time, and believe you are simply injecting your own feelings into a situation that did not play out as you described.

I picked points that I am very familiar with as examples of the errors in your analysis.

I didn't realize you were well over 100 years old.

I'm still waiting on the number of diaries it takes to get 800, as mentioned by The BigEnch.

I don't follow the question... 800 what?

How many diary mentions does it take to get 800 listeners?

It appears that the PPDV in Atlantic is around 700 to 900, so that's a single listener at any given time.

The cume is 10,400 persons in the Spring book. That would seem to indicate perhaps 8 to maybe 11 diaries had a mention of the station to get a cume rating of about 3.

Sorry David, aka Ricky, it was late and I had NO gin. Just wanted to get this question answered. I am sure it can't be a be number bigger than can be counted on one hand.

Gotcha. As already posted, the "value" of a diary in that market is about 800 people. So the average listenership represents one diary, and the cume represents mentions in perhaps +/- 8.

The original post said nothing about Hispanic or Hispanic music. That said, WMID in Atlantic City, NJ has a decent format of oldies and classics.

Lovely station. Not the kind of music I would listen for long but they play songs other stations had forgotten about.

Lovely station. Not the kind of music I would listen for long but they play songs other stations had forgotten about.

Exactly why smaller market stations are more appealing than mainstream corporate monotones. They play what others ignore.

Exactly why smaller market stations are more appealing than mainstream corporate monotones. They play what others ignore.
You have again chosen to selectively ignore the implications of the OP's statement.

"Not the kind of music I would listen for long."

We program for listeners who will return, not those who sample a few times and then leave because it isn't music they want to hear over and over.

You don't get ad sales with the kind of ratings delivered by all-sampling and little (if any) repeat listening.

What kind of sales do you get for any music format on AM radio?

If the music is in Farsi or Korean or Russian or Chinese... quite a lot in some markets. At least enough to make some AM stations with formats including music in those languages very, very profitable.

How about this? In many, possibly most areas of this country, "Regional Mexican" is not a niche. All other Spanish speaking formats are.

Asks the man whose career is built on tailoring stations to exploit the peculiarities of the ratings.

Again, substantiation, please. Otherwise, your statement is a horrible ad hominem.

When you are taken at gunpoint from your home because your station opposed an oppressive military junta, then you get to accuse me of "exploitation".

How about this? In many, possibly most areas of this country, "Regional Mexican" is not a niche. All other Spanish speaking formats are.

But in most places, Regional Mexican, which is a young leaning format is not on AM stations anyway.

The header of the thread indicates "AM stations" and the only places where AM's do Regional Mexican tend to be markets where the Mexican origin or heritage population is not big enough to justify the use of a more costly FM facility.

And if you look at markets like San Francisco and Fresno and Las Vegas and Austin you see that Spanish language classic hits stations are #1, and in LA a contemporary AC station is the top Spanish language station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom